Author Topic: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST  (Read 11571 times)

JazzOwner11

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz 1.2S
Re: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 03:18:15 PM »
Thank you for the PDF culzean, I was interested to see the tests on the rust converters having used them on previous cars. As rust has started under the wheel arch I'm going to try using WD40 which I'm hoping will penetrate down to the good metal then spray over with waxoyl. I've used the waxoyl aerosol cans and goes on well if it's first warmed up in a bowl of hot water.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 07:12:51 PM »
Dinitrol far better than Waxoyl. Waxoyl abrades easily.

I would not treat car under 15C ambient - cold metal will stop flow of sealant.
And car will be damp.
Sealing damp into seams is not good.

Warm dry day with dry car - after thorough washdown underneath and time left to dry.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 07:40:23 PM »
This is the star for creeping into small spaces and displacing moisture,  many bikers coat almost their whole bike before winter ( aluminium forks, engine casings etc really suffer when exposed to road salt) and wash it off come summer to leave a clean bike underneath.  Can also be safely used on rubber and plastic and electrical connections.  It has active corrosion inhibitors in it. Have used it under our cars on brake pipes and unions,  as well as on nuts on track rod ends, anti-roll bars etc ) to stop threads corroding up.  It worked as well, when I had to change a couple of track-rod ends ( rubber gaiter had split ) the nuts came off no problem, no sign at all of thread corrosion.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:01:02 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
Having own 3 previous jazzes, and now owning a Japanese imported ‘fit’ I know all about the rust problem. I live in Scotland where the roads are salted 6 months a year. I coated my last jazz (mk1) with waxoyl but I didn’t remove the rear arch liner first. It rotted out under the rear sill end behind the liner. When I bought my mk2 fit I noticed that it did not have a full arch liner. I removed the small one at the front of the arch and the rear one, and sprayed Dinitrol right round the arch. The whole underside has been sprayed including all the suspension, the engine bay and front arches all with Dinitrol. After the winter I will redo any areas where is worn off. The undercoating on all Honda Jazz/fit is minimal and very poor compared to other manufacturers. The Japanese cars are no worse, as I’ve compared them side by side. They all need a coating. Without it in Scotland they will rot through in 13 years no problem. A particular bad area is the area around the petrol filler pipe. It’s completely exposed to the salt. I cleaned it all out and sprayed all round the filler. Inevitably salt will build up round it so it will need hosed out every spring when I switch the wheels back to summer tyres. Worth the hassle to avoid the rust.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 07:01:55 PM by Keekster71 »
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Keekster71

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
Photo of the rust that I found this summer. And photos of the extensive rustproofing of my new imported Fit.
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

JazzOwner11

• Registered Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I've washed off and sprayed WD40 on the rusting area under the rear wheel arch as an interim measure and ordered a can of ACF-50 from Amazon. Will have a more thorough check when the weather gets better next year

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2021, 09:05:42 AM »
Did notice that ledge when fitting mud flaps last month and wondered if it could be a problem.

Reading the link about ACF-50 it looks as if it needs to be reapplied annually. Probably O.K. if there is already rust but personally I would prefer to only have to do it once.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
I would treat any rust with hydrate 80, then coat with dinitrol. Dinitrol will only come off areas exposed to regular pounding like the rear wheel arches. Other areas should last years.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
I do use ACF50 on some things, it's very good used as intended, but not ideal for car bodywork, it doesn't last in exposed places.
For car bodywork/underside I prefer Bilt Hamber UC or UB or S50
https://bilthamber.com/product-category/anti-corrosion/

I recently got a 10yr old Yaris which has a bit of "frilly edges" underneath. Treated them with Hydrate 80, then Electrox (very high zinc content, a 1 Lt tin weighs 3kg!!!), a coat of silver grey stonechip where appropriate, then finally UB/S50
............. alternatively you can get a life!  ;D

Keekster71

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »
I do use ACF50 on some things, it's very good used as intended, but not ideal for car bodywork, it doesn't last in exposed places.
For car bodywork/underside I prefer Bilt Hamber UC or UB or S50
https://bilthamber.com/product-category/anti-corrosion/

I recently got a 10yr old Yaris which has a bit of "frilly edges" underneath. Treated them with Hydrate 80, then Electrox (very high zinc content, a 1 Lt tin weighs 3kg!!!), a coat of silver grey stonechip where appropriate, then finally UB/S50
............. alternatively you can get a life!  ;D
You sound perfectly sane to me. After I coated the underneath of the car, I undid the original exhaust bolts including the cat nuts, and copper greased them before refitting. I know from previous experiences that I would regret not doing it ;D

JazzOwner11

• Registered Member
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 10:31:08 PM »
I've a lot to learn as always :D but great advice on the Bilthamber products. Now just wondering what lurks behind those plastic inner wheel arch protectors and how easy they are to remove.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2021, 08:21:49 AM »
I've a lot to learn as always :D but great advice on the Bilthamber products. Now just wondering what lurks behind those plastic inner wheel arch protectors and how easy they are to remove.

I removed the rear bumper and rear mudguards this year. No sign of rust.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
I would treat any rust with hydrate 80, then coat with dinitrol. Dinitrol will only come off areas exposed to regular pounding like the rear wheel arches. Other areas should last years.
You didn't specify which Dinitrol, but I assume you mean Dinitrol ML. There is a product called Dinitrol Metallic, which is intended to spray on top of ML for exposed areas.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:47:17 AM by TnTkr »

Keekster71

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
You didn't specify which Dinitrol, but I assume you mean Dinitrol ML. There is a product called Dinitrol Metallic, which is intended to spray on top of ML for exposed areas.
No, I use this on the underside
https://www.dinitroldirect.com/product/dinitrol-4941-car-underbody-protection-oem/

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »
That one protects paint from water spray and other mechanical threats as a top layer. It does not help to prevent any existing corrosion beneath it. I would strongly suggest something oily, high-penetration and water repellent agent such as Dinitrol ML or bare linseed oil under the underbody protection.

Tags: