Author Topic: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST  (Read 12375 times)

guest6586

Protect rear wheel arch from RUST
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:21:28 AM »
It seems that there is kind of design flaw at least mk2 Jazz/Fit. And maybe thet mk3 suffers from same flaw. The begining of the rear wheel archs, just front of the rear wheel, has some odd slot where all stones, sand, tar...etc can gather up and start to rust the whole arch.

Has anybody done any development how to block that spot?

And why the heck there is no wheel well lining at the back? Is there any aftermarket linings out there?

Few photos will help to know what I mean.

This is from mk2. The arrow points directly to the flaw.

This is from mk3, it's not the same, but similar. And potential risk also.

This is also from mk3.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Protect rear wheel arch from RUST
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »
I hose out the rear wheel arches whenever I wash the car...No signs of rust in 5 years)

guest6586

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
I assume you don't have any snow or temperature under zero :) We have that in scandinavia and it is just impossible to hose during winter when it can be -20 celcius :D

Ideal is to have whole wheel arch covered with that rubberized mass (tectyl eg) and then have plastic wheel liners, like in front. It would also reduce sound which would be very welcome...

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »
I remember my father using this on his Volvo 340 years ago.

Seemed to work well..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5092953-Underbody-Seal-2-5Ltr/dp/B002HMOIE8

guest6586

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »

matty vapor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:27:22 PM »
Waxoil offers good protection, as it soaks into all the parts you cant see between welded seam's of the panels. They did a test with rust profers, and anything that goes hard can also chip, and let the water behind. A problem with extreme low temps in winter is the use of salt to clear the ice from roads and offer some traction. but salt is very corrosive.

The good thing with waxoil is the oil drys away leaving a nice coating of wax, which dosnt chip away like hard underseals do, and in its liquid form when applied it runs to all the little places where thick heavy underseals cant get to.

http://www.autosessive.com/products/102826/carplan-tetroseal-easy-sprayer?fo_c=1195&fo_k=83fa1b8e392979dd2f34c5f4bc9ef570&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CNT2npuoi9MCFcsp0wodkxgMNg

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
I am pretty sure in our Jazz there's wheel arch lining at the back.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:14 PM »
Something like this on a Mk1 / GD, liner plus lower trim although mud still builds up behind the fold.

--
TG

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:27:25 PM »
I spotted that potential rust trap. As I was washing my brand new Jazz, for the first time.....

The following day, when all was completely dried out. I thoroughly soaked the area, with Waxoyl.  ;)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest6586

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
I have to snap a photo of our 2011. I just changed winter to summer tyres and had a good look at the arches. There's a little plastic lining at the back of the rear wheel arch. Nothing at the front. As we also use small stonea/chips and sand to get more friction during winter, it's basicly sand blasting the wheel arch drugin winter. Combine that with salt and the mixture is ready.

JazzOwner11

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz 1.2S
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 11:41:57 PM »
I noticed some rust in the same place on the rear wheel arch of the 2011 Jazz Mk2 that I've just purchased. As the weather is so wet at the moment I'll just wash it with the hosepipe each week then soak it in WD40. When the weather is better (probably in Spring) I'll treat it with Waxoil and maybe stonechip spray.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
Your correct in getting the debris away at regular intervals. Once spring arrives & dries out this tricky area then apply your choice of rust prevention . Enjoy your Jazz.
Most cars have 7 year life , but why worry I still have my 30 yr old Subaru.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 11:27:41 AM »
Something like this on a Mk1 / GD, liner plus lower trim although mud still builds up behind the fold.

--
TG

Yes. This is something I have been meaning to do. Is it as straightforward as it looks to unscrew and remove the plastic liner and then refit or is it one of these jobs with a hidden catch?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Most cars have 7 year life ,

Most cars go 15 years without rust on bodywork, and certainly in any important ( structural ) areas in normal UK inland conditions. This may be reduced in very humid salty areas on the coast.  In winter if salt has been spread on roads a wash underneath with a garden hose is a good thing, I would not be using a pressure washer as if you get it too close it could damage underseal.

Attached is a PDF from a vehicle corrosion treatment company,  they seem to favor Waxoyl but often dilute it with white spirit to penetrate better,  and say waxoyl seems to disperse moisture better.  They did some tests on bare steel with brine.  The guy is a bit scathing about those rust converters as he says they always leave untreated rust under the treated layer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:53:50 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
Our 2003 CRV was the same and I had to hose out the debris. It did need some welding to the sill area in 2019, it was in an area under the plastic trim which didn't fit the same afterwards.
I note it passed the mot without issue in August and is still taxed.

Tags: