Author Topic: Installation of in-car traffic camera in Mk3  (Read 6216 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Installation of in-car traffic camera in Mk3
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
I've had an in-car traffic camera (a Nextbase 402) installed in my cars, for some time, but the introduction of the large plastic moulding in the middle of the screen on the Mk3, has made it extremely difficult to fit this in the new car.

Has anybody managed to overcome this problem, perhaps with some form of custom mount, so that the camera views within the swept area of the wipers, but does not impinge too much on the passengers view?

I think someone mentioned in a previous post, that Honda should have provided a SD card slot in the housing so that the existing Honda camera could be used to record the last few hours of motoring.

Any help on this one would be much appreciated.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Installation of in-car traffic camera in Mk3
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 12:16:42 PM »
One option is to put a sticky satnav mounting disc on the dashboard and attach the suction mount to it. The camera would be upside down but the display can be inverted. Be sure to avoid the passenger airbag.

guest5589

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
You can get sticky camera mounting rom eBay that are short and stick to windscreen with 3M tape.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
I mounted mine at the bottom of the screen in the centre, seemed the least obtrusive spot.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:21 AM »
You can get sticky camera mounting rom eBay that are short and stick to windscreen with 3M tape.

Don't forget that anything on the windscreen within the wiper sweep is technically a MOT fail. It only needs a tester that needs to balance  his MOT pass / fail statistics. :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:23:14 AM by Deeps »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 08:42:04 AM »
Don't forget that anything on the windscreen within the wiper sweep is technically a MOT fail. It only needs a tester that needs to balance  his MOT pass / fail statistics. :-)
I think that requirement is only for the area in front of the driver. Otherwise the enormous lump of plastic containing Honda's various gizmos would mean all these Mk 3 Jazzes fail their MoTs when the time arrives.

My camera is mounted above the swept area because anything lower intrudes on the passenger's vision excessively. I sometimes wonder if the nearside wiper blade could be longer - it's very short. Honda missed a trick - a good quality camera is already fitted in the car. Providing little more software and a microSD card slot would have made a built-in car cam a useful selling point. The attached photo also shows where I put my sat nav.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
My front camera is suction fitted to the screen but gently jammed against the dash as well. The rear one sits nicely on the plastic tab between the rear seats. The only problem is that with the front camera being so low a lot of its near vision is obscured by the dash. It's plenty good enough for its main purpose of deterring/proving who caused a crash but it's a struggle to read number plates because by the time they come into view they are almost too far away to read.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:22:27 AM by andruec »

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »
re John Ratsey  comment

I think all car manufactures are missing a trick and sales gimmick that could sell. As the car camera could record forward facing and rear facing camera, if fitted all the time. then in an accident the camera would record the last 3/5/10 mins , as selected... It doesn't need to be visible to view whilst the car is driving (for legal reasons), but still recording in the back ground.

Most cars now come with in built sat navs so this could be possible..

Sat Navs (Tom Toms and Garmin etc) were very common, now they will be obsolete as more new cars have in built sat navs...... Maybe the same will be of dashcams........watch this space..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:02:34 PM by jonathan »

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
just a quick add.

here is the position in my Qashqai, I know not a Honda, but just to show to illustrate the new inconsiderate design of rear view mirror panels...

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »
The attached photo also shows where I put my sat nav.

That is very close to the passenger airbag which deploys from the top of the dashboard.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
That is very close to the passenger airbag which deploys from the top of the dashboard.
Ooh, good point. I'd better check where mine is then. Although the camera is quite a long way forward.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
re John Ratsey  comment

..................Most cars now come with in built dash cams.............

Is this the case?   I did not know this.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
re John Ratsey  comment

..................Most cars now come with in built dash cams.............

Is this the case?   I did not know this.

I see that the post has now been changed to say "satnavs".   

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:31 PM »
This post still refers to the In-car camera installation and I think iv'e now got there.
The attached photo (hopefully) shows the result.
In order get the camera high enough, so that it could not be seen by the driver and did not obscure the passenger view to much, the suction mount needed to be positioned on the 'sunscreen' part of the windscreen. Obviously it would not stick to this, so I have used a self-adhesive disc. This brought the camera too far back and the view was somewhat obscured by the plastic housing. I have therefore made up the additional bracket to move the camera roughly 90mm forward. This gives a clear view forward, not obscured by the housing and still within the swept area of the wipers.
I will test this out and report back in a few days.

guest5589

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
This post still refers to the In-car camera installation and I think iv'e now got there.
The attached photo (hopefully) shows the result.
In order get the camera high enough, so that it could not be seen by the driver and did not obscure the passenger view to much, the suction mount needed to be positioned on the 'sunscreen' part of the windscreen. Obviously it would not stick to this, so I have used a self-adhesive disc. This brought the camera too far back and the view was somewhat obscured by the plastic housing. I have therefore made up the additional bracket to move the camera roughly 90mm forward. This gives a clear view forward, not obscured by the housing and still within the swept area of the wipers.
I will test this out and report back in a few days.
That a clever contraption, if a bit OTT for me but then again you have that massive lump of plastic to clear. Good solution nonetheless.

re John Ratsey  comment

I think all car manufactures are missing a trick and sales gimmick that could sell. As the car camera could record forward facing and rear facing camera, if fitted all the time. then in an accident the camera would record the last 3/5/10 mins , as selected... It doesn't need to be visible to view whilst the car is driving (for legal reasons), but still recording in the back ground.

Most cars now come with in built sat navs so this could be possible..

Sat Navs (Tom Toms and Garmin etc) were very common, now they will be obsolete as more new cars have in built sat navs...... Maybe the same will be of dashcams........watch this space..

Most in car sat navs become obsolete in 2-3 years even after you pay £150+ each year for updated maps because eventually a new system will be out leaving the current one unsupported.. Portable sat-nav devices are here to stay, they are simply morphing from chunky devices like tomtoms to smartphones.

Adding in car dashcam capability is a huge headache which I am sure no one wants as rather than replacing a £40 camera you will be stuck with going to dealer for one more thing that's going to cost you £100 in labour and some ridiculously priced part. Honda cannot even figure out how to make the indash entertainment work properly even with the help of Android so I can't even imagine what mess they will make of integrating dashcam software.

Most of the tech in car is due to excessive legislation and last thing we need is more tech.

Tags:

anything