Author Topic: Aerial Roof Unit Replacing.  (Read 1391 times)

Garrett

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk2
Aerial Roof Unit Replacing.
« on: November 04, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »
I'm enquiring on behalf of my father, who had not lifted the garage door fully and caught the aerial which ripped the cap off covering the electronics, also damaged the electronics as well.

Is the MkII Jazz unit specific to the model as I've seen spares with round and some with rectangular connectors, and are main Honda dealer still likely be able to get them or is it the secondhand route?

Is it possible to change the unit getting to it just dropping the rear roof lining, and any tips if you can?

Thank you for help in advance.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Aerial Roof Unit Replacing.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 08:13:55 AM »
I dont know.  But with this age of car it may be better to try and find  one second hand.  Honda would be very expensive and might sell individual parts separately .You may either get less than you need or more than you need.

I'd wait until you get the part as this may give some clue as to how its fitted.  It may be possible to do it all from the outside. Sometimes the part inside the car is designed so it can pass through the hole in the roof, or may remain in situe if the outer part is diconnected.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Garrett

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
Thanks for that, I was looking at secondhand ones as there no where I can find a new one and from the looks of the unit it looks like it slots in the roof and there is a big nut on the inside of the roof to fasten it to a thread on the unit, with a lead from it.
I looked at Honda second hand ones and they seem to have the rectangular socket on the lead, but seen generic ones with a round socket. So Im 99% certain the rectangular one is correct.
As in the picture there a nut on a thread so you you must need to get under the roof lining on the inside to access it.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
I see what you mean.   As you say it looks from the photo that you will need to access from inside, to secure the base of the unit to the roof using 2 small set screws  (bolts.)  There should probably be a rubber gasket of some sort  between the base and roof.     It looks like you would insert  the set screws from inside the car .Be careful not to chuck anything away until the jobs done.  You might need to reuse bolts, gaskets etc.
Its just possible you need to dismantle the unit by undoing the large nut, fix the base of the roof by inserting the screws from outside the car   and then reassembling the unit by tightening the  large nut again - from inside.    But I doubt it will be done this way as it might disturb the  electrical bonding of the antennae  .

Is the existing wiring connector damaged?  If its ok a you may be able to use the same wire and connector on a used Honda replacement.   If you need to buy a generic  aerial with a round connector wire you may need to use ingenuity.    Ideally  use a complete new wire from aerial to radio  if you can.   But if all else fails  you might be able to cut the connectors off near the aerial and splice the correct one on.   But be careful here. It may not be simple wire, but incorporate  signal shielding protection  like you find on tv aerial leads. The two wires may not be compatible. If you need to feed long wires through roof linings etc it might help to use the old wire to pull the new one through. Try and test the radio before reassembling the roof lining etc.  It might need some fettling.  I hope its of some help and I'm not  stating the obvious  :-[   

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 04:07:02 PM »
Try midland Honda parts they have loads of bits and pieces.
https://m.facebook.com/midlandhondaparts/

Garrett

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 04:29:47 PM »
Answering some of my own questions, I went round today and had a look and could pull the roof lining down a bit and could see the underside of the unit and it looks like a there a plate the nut screws up to, and when I felt I could turn the nut by hand.
I also followed the lead and it went to the to the left hand side and plugged into a unit, although I could not un plug it (it was a rectangular one) and left as I don't have a replacement for  it.
The trickiest but was the roof lining had popped out of rear pillar left hand side  and getting back in was slightly tricky, but as it had not popped out of the right hand side  may have more room next time if it does, as it was my hand/arm was going in a narrowish gap. rather than getting to it directly underneath.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »
Once you are an expert you could go down to Eurotunnel. Loads of cars pass under a height barrier with millimeters to spare. Some probably dont make it.  money to be made  ;D

Garrett

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 04:53:15 PM »
Does anyone know the way to remove the plug as in Picture 2 in the 3rd post down. I was unable to remove it.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 07:25:14 PM »
Hi There, See where the white dab of paint is above that is flexible tab with little square hole.
             You need to push that tab down and then pull apart, Also try thin small blade like
              junior hacksaw blade without pin and push in at that point then pull apart. Try first
             method but before pressing tab push both connectors together when pressing tab.
            Keep pressing tab and then pull apart.

Garrett

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 02:25:41 PM »
I finally got round to it Dad kept putting it off incase something went wrong and did not want it raining in so with the weather on the turn I thought I ask him and he gave the okay.

I've just run into a problem though at first thought the plug slotted (the one I mentioned with the little flat that needs to be pressed to get the plug out of the socket) into the socket that was on the inner part of the roof was too too big, but on double checking found the lead goes over the the left hand side and just hiding behind a plastic pillar cover.

I was wondering is there a way to just pull the pillar cover out a bit without taking the whole lot off, there seems to be some form of catch see the lower picture just hiding the plug and socket.

Best I could take the pictures in the limited space and with a camera.

Tags: