Author Topic: Hazard lights turning on automatically when the car is put in reverse or parked  (Read 2422 times)

Moonjacket

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz Vti
Hi team,

Just bought a 2017 jazz and have noticed that the hazard lights are turning on by themselves at these times.

Is this a hidden setting or an electronic issue?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Do you mean all the turn indicators start flashing simultaneously whenever you put the car in reverse or park it? If so, that isn’t normal and I’m not aware of any hidden setting that would do it. But I note you’re not in UK and it’s possible that your country has some rule that the flashers should come on in those circumstances. The only time I’m aware of where the hazard flashers start up automatically is if you stop suddenly, either because of hard emergency braking or if you actually hit something.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
Not normal for a Japanese model either. In reverse there is automatic reversing light/loud beeping sound and if the front wipers are on, even intermittent, the rear wiper does its thing.

Can you explain a bit more about what is happening when you park? The hazard lights come on and flash repeatedly when you lock the doors?

Is yours a Japanese model by chance? If so, there might be a setting. I have seen vehicles here that do flash their hazards in reverse. Usually trucks, vans and other commercial vehicles I think.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:42:58 AM by langserve »

Moonjacket

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz Vti
Thanks for the reply.

It's an Australian market jazz. I believe they were built in Thailand.

When the car is put into reverse gear the hazards come on. Putting the car back into drive switches them off again.

Likewise when the car is put in park the hazards go on until the cars ignition is switched off.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
It might be an Australian market variation then. I had a look at my manual and didn't see anything in the user defined options. There is a safety feature that switches them on if you stop suddenly from 60km/h or faster but nothing about reversing or putting the car into park.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
When the car is put into reverse gear the hazards come on. Putting the car back into drive switches them off again.

Likewise when the car is put in park the hazards go on until the cars ignition is switched off.

Neither of those happen on UK cars. In fact, I’m not sure they would be legal. That’s because the flashers are strictly only supposed to be used to indicate to other road users that a hazard exists on the road ahead, and simply engaging reverse or putting the car into park does not necessarily create a hazard. So (unless you can identify a relevant Australia-specific feature) it sounds like, unfortunately, your car has a fault.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
They do sound like the kind of thing that might be considered a useful safety feature ,or legal requirement , in some lesser known markets .  Maybe its primarily intended for one of the other  countries in SE Asia that drive on the left.

If its not normal in Australia there may be a way to switch the feature off.  If its not shown in the Australian version of the drivers  handbook  a dealership may be able to do it via software .

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:31:17 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Be best to ask a Jazz owner where you live as it may be something peculiar to your market.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Hi team,

Just bought a 2017 jazz and have noticed that the hazard lights are turning on by themselves at these times.

Is this a hidden setting or an electronic issue?
I guess:
1) It's a safety feature, maybe not for AUSDM but for Thailand or other asean market. ->ask a dealer if it can be disabled using the HDS.
2) It's a temporary electronic failure -> try disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes, and/or ask a dealer.
3) your car has something not OEM, like HID or LED light bulbs or not original navi or radio or anti-theft device that could disturb your car electric system.
Let us konw the result.
Bye
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:32:18 PM by jazzaro »

Tags: