Author Topic: How much fuel left when fuel light on  (Read 9799 times)

Hora

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
How much fuel left when fuel light on
« on: July 18, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »
1.5 engine, when it hits fuel light on two bars then down to one. Roughly how many miles are left?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: How much fuel left when fuel light on
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
Depends on how you drive, but at least 20 miles. I have no precise answer. I would be even more curious to know how many miles/kilometers/litres are left when the computer states that remaining fuel is good for 0 mile/km distance. I have planned to test it, but haven't had suitable time yet.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:10:08 AM »
Depends on how you drive, but at least 20 miles. I have no precise answer. I would be even more curious to know how many miles/kilometers/litres are left when the computer states that remaining fuel is good for 0 mile/km distance. I have planned to test it, but haven't had suitable time yet.

It would seem logical that the zero on miles to empty display would coincide with 'fuel light flashing, that the system will say that for all intents and purposes 'zero' is when you start to use reserve fuel.   Be interested to see if that is the case..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 08:34:19 AM »
Hi There, I regularly used to let low fuel light come and it would say 27 miles left of fuel. Then when it reached zero i would zero out trip counter, would then start out 5 miles of driving then refill, then next time went to 10 miles before refilling got a far as 30 miles is my limit, So somewhere between 30 and 35 miles ran out of petrol, soft me didn't bother to carry can of fuel for this test as this test period was over 8 month period. (Nobody likes the smell of petrol in the car) this was average normal driving to and from work with couple minutes queuing, So make of that what you will. :o :'(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 10:06:44 AM »
With my Mk1 I regularly have the fuel light come on 40 miles from home. I drive home and the next morning go and get petrol.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »

It would seem logical that the zero on miles to empty display would coincide with 'fuel light flashing, that the system will say that for all intents and purposes 'zero' is when you start to use reserve fuel.   Be interested to see if that is the case..
Mine lights up the low fuel warning light when there is 50 km range left.

Hora

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »

That's impressive, what engine and gearbox?

Mine went to no bars on the display when I set off on my 12 mile commute home at 6am this morning.... I just drove faster to make the anxious feeling last for a shorter period!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
More or less, the light comes on when there are about 6-8 liters left in the tank, I usually refill with 33-36 liters  in a tank with 39l of capacity plus the connecting hose, I presume 1-2l.
So my Jazz could run at least  for other 70-80km after the yellow light comes on, average consumption 15-18km/l.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 02:43:24 PM »

That's impressive, what engine and gearbox?

Mine went to no bars on the display when I set off on my 12 mile commute home at 6am this morning.... I just drove faster to make the anxious feeling last for a shorter period!
1.5 litre engine and 6-speed manual gearbox.

SteveiD

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Sport 1.5 CVT
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 04:10:33 PM »
Best not to run to the bottom of the tank as there will inevitably be a bit of dirt or even water down there!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 05:01:22 PM »
Best not to run to the bottom of the tank as there will inevitably be a bit of dirt or even water down there!
Err, no, not quite. The pump suction intake is at the bottom of the tank, and if there's any water in the tank it will always be at the bottom (petrol is less dense than water) so would have been the first thing to get sucked into the pump intake, not the last. Likewise any sediment at the bottom of the tank will be sucked into the pump intake early, you don't need to run the tank down to get to it. The only stuff that'll get sucked in when the tank's nearly empty is anything that's floating on the surface of the fuel.

SteveiD

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Sport 1.5 CVT
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 10:07:10 AM »
In your opinion. It is and always  has been fact that you are more likely to contaminate your fuel system by running on undiluted dregs. All motoring organisations and garages will tell you the same.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »
In your opinion. It is and always  has been fact that you are more likely to contaminate your fuel system by running on undiluted dregs. All motoring organisations and garages will tell you the same.

As ColinB already said, the fuel pickup point in the tank is fixed, it does not float around - so however much fuel in the tank the petrol is being drawn from same spot, so if there is dirt there with an almost empty tank, there would have been dirt there with a full tank.   Water is heavier than petrol and will stay at bottom of tank ( and fuel injection handles water better than carbs did ), it is only things that may float on top of fuel ( cannot think of any ) that will get nearer the pump intake when fuel gets low, and that is why the filter is there. Fuel is now cleaner than it has ever been, and fuel tanks now plastic,  so no rust.   Some say fuel pump will overheat if fuel level is too low, but I am sure pumps are conservatively rated, the last thing you want in a fuel tank is a hot electrical device.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:22:37 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Mikey

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 12:21:30 AM »
Hi Hora,
According to owner manual Low Fuel Indicator goes on when there's approx 5.3 litres fuel left , how many miles that will last depends on what's your mpg. The range is around mpg*1.166 so for example if it's 35mpg it means it will last 35*1.166 = 40 miles 

How I got to it:
range = LowFuelLevel*(miles/l)
mpg -> miles/l is mpg/4.54 (1 imperial gallon in 4.54l)
range = 5.2*(mpg/4.54) = (5.2/4.54)*mpg = 1.167*mpg

BTW, Link to Honda Manual:
https://www.honda.co.uk/content/dam/local/uk/cars/owners/manuals/JAZZ/2016%20Jazz%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
As ColinB already said, the fuel pickup point in the tank is fixed, it does not float around - so however much fuel in the tank the petrol is being drawn from same spot, so if there is dirt there with an almost empty tank, there would have been dirt there with a full tank. 
But this ignores floating debris.
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything