Poll

If your Jazz suffers from notchy steering, please tells us what year the car was registered

6 (5.5%)
8 (7.3%)
6 (5.5%)
21 (19.1%)
17 (15.5%)
24 (21.8%)
28 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2008 Stiff or notchy power steering  (Read 132847 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Honda Jazz 2002-2008 Stiff or notchy power steering
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2020, 12:56:59 PM »
I noticed, yesterday, that if I turn to almost full lock, then, while continuing to travel forward, release the wheel, the lock tightens instead of trying to return to straight. My steering is just woolly under normal circumstances. It is something I just got used to, and I certainly wouldn't spend any money trying to improve it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
I noticed, yesterday, that if I turn to almost full lock, then, while continuing to travel forward, release the wheel, the lock tightens instead of trying to return to straight.

I think that's quite normal on the Jazz, as a result of the low castor angle.

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
I think you would have to replace the whole thing, part 28 in the diagram, to have any sort of guarantee of a fix - you can't really tell if the fault is in the actual rack or the motor assembly.

Now, this is a bit of a long post, but bear with me.

A lot of people say that the Jazz steering is poor, but you can live with it, and that it's just a characteristic of the car. I don't believe that these owners are experiencing the issue we are talking about here. We need to differentiate between the 'normal' dead steering feel of the mark 1 Jazz, with its poor centreing and lifeless, woolly feel, and a different problem which is a sticky, rubbery feel that makes it difficult to steer the car in a straight line. The former is simply a characteristic of the Jazz EPS system, while the latter, in my opinion, is most definitely a fault.

Our 2008 car definitely suffered from the latter, once the car had been driven for a while. When it was stone cold, the steering felt 'normal', but after a few miles, it started to develop the sticky rubbery feel where if you held a particular steering angle for 10 seconds or so, a significant input of force was required to turn the wheel - when it would suddenly 'give'.

I regarded that as a fault, and this opinion was further reinforced when I managed to 'cure' this by accident. I'm not sure what I disturbed, but the car was completely cured of this odd problem, and has remained so ever since.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10179

If you think that what you experiencing is just the 'characteristic' of the car's steering, i.e. the lifeless feel with poor centreing, this can be improved by toeing in the front wheels a little, towards the toe-in end of the acceptable range of 0 ± 3.0mm. After playing with the tracking on the front of the Jazz, I found that anything towards the toe-out end of the' tracking range made the steering feel, and particularly the centreing, much worse - but toeing in a bit, away from the target of zero, improved it no end.

Hi.

Followed your post (https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10179), do you think is worth to change the steering wheel or maybe just remove/place it back the old one?

Did you put any type of lubrificant when replacing the steering wheel?

My steering wheel has the same issue you describe..sticky notchy feeling, it appears to get "stuck"..very noticable when driving in straight line at higher speeds.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
Did you put any type of lubrificant when replacing the steering wheel?

No lubrication, just a straight swap.

You've seen the other thread, but as I said there, the only thing I can imagine that might have disturbed something was removing the wheel - a few sharp thumps behind with a soft faced hammer were needed. It's borderline ridiculous, but I can't think of anything else that could have had any effect on the column, just the upwards shock of freeing the wheel from the splines.

If it were to happen again, the first thing I would try is a few thumps behind the rim of the wheel, just to see if it was a complete fluke or not. I can't really see how actually removing the wheel would make any difference. De-activate the airbag system first though, by disconnecting the battery and waiting for 3 minutes before any thumping... we don't want any nasty accidents.

It would be curious to hear if anyone else could repeat it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:57:00 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
Don't know what happened to the Thank You button on this thread, but thank you sparky Paul.

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply @sparky Paul !

My thought is the same, changing with a new steering wheel doesnt make sense to fix this issue, only the process of removing the steering wheel can make any difference.

Next couple of weeks i will try to remove the steering wheel (thanks for the tip of the battery/airbag!)..dont have great hope on fixing it, but doesnt look too complicated to test.

Once i have feedback, i will post here.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2020, 07:50:05 PM »
Don't bother removing it. Just give a few thumps on the rear as if you were removing it. After first making the airbag safe.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »
Don't bother removing it. Just give a few thumps on the rear as if you were removing it. After first making the airbag safe.

That's what I would do, it's got to be worth a try. I would still be all agog if anyone else gets the same result...

What did happen to the "Thanks" button? We seem to have sprouted a "Remove" button on our own posts instead!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2020, 07:07:31 PM »
It just seems to be this post. Maybe to do with the age of the thread.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2020, 07:34:42 PM »
It just seems to be this post. Maybe to do with the age of the thread.

I've got it, it's been moved into the FAQ section.  8)

sorok75

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2011
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2021, 09:48:00 AM »
Hello everyone. I am from Moscow and own a 2011 Honda Jazz. I have the same problem. My car cannot go straight. She drives slightly diagonally. And you have to steer constantly. I have visited many wheel angle fitting services. All angles are normal.
It happens like this: they will make the car go smoothly ... but after a short time, suddenly the car again starts to lead to the side.
The last time the car suddenly began to go away again, after I changed the battery ...
I understand that this is some kind of problem in the steering rack. Our dealers do not recognize this as a problem, this is a feature of management.
I'm glad I found this forum. In Russia, very little was sold Jazz of the second generation, so few people write about this problem with the steering wheel.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2021, 10:49:22 AM »
Hello everyone. I am from Moscow and own a 2011 Honda Jazz. I have the same problem. My car cannot go straight. She drives slightly diagonally. And you have to steer constantly. I have visited many wheel angle fitting services. All angles are normal.
The Mk2 Jazz doesn't usually have steering problems like that. Even when the wheel alignment was way out on mine (after sliding sideways into a kerb in snowy conditions in December 2009) I never had any problems with steering.

Tags:

anything