Author Topic: 2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS  (Read 9439 times)

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS
« on: June 05, 2020, 05:41:01 PM »
The car magazines have reported back that they ahve been testing the new HONDA JAZZ HYBRID models this week:-

Andrew Brady    11 hours ago
Hi David

We've covered the Honda E here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/e-2019/

We've driven the new Honda Jazz this week. Reviews will be appearing from next week.

Hope this helps.

and from "What Car"........ :'(

"Hi David

Unfortunately the Jazz driving event was postponed because of the lockdown, which is why there aren't any reviews of it online yet. However, it took place earlier this week and our review of the car will be live on whatcar.com at 6am this Saturday.(6 June) :'( I hope you enjoy reading it at last!

Kind regards

Claire"

BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THEY REPORT ON IT!!!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
Here's the What Car review https://www.whatcar.com/honda/jazz/hatchback/review/n17343 .

The vehicle is excellent for internal space but marked down for performance and driveability. I wouldn't expect the motorway performance to match something with a turbo engine but the comment about the CVT gearbox causing high engine revs during hard acceleration is a little worrying. Firstly as it means the tester hasn't appreciated that there isn't a CVT gearbox and secondly because the 55dB internal noise level claimed by the specs isn't very representative. The likely cause for significant engine noise during hard acceleration is that the engine is having to work hard to generate electricity as the battery won't provide much power for very long. Typical Jazz users will have to find out for themselves how the vehicle behaves under their normal driving conditions.

There's the usual comment about the firm ride (not helped by the 16" wheels with lower profile tyres on the EX). There's also a comment about the Crosstar having a softer ride and I wonder if this is fact or speculation as I've not seen it mentioned in the Honda info.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »
Generally a positive review, but it seems the What Car reviewer has misunderstood the engineering by referring to a gearbox.  As I understand it engine revs may vary when the engine is acting as a generator, as the power required varies, but at high speeds with direct engine drive to the wheels, the revs will be directly proportional to the speed.  The rough fuel consumption estimate of over 60 mpg is encouraging - reviewers are usually rather heavy-footed!  And where do they find a starting price of £14800?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:56:57 PM by Downsizer »

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
Be interesting to see what HJ report this week and doubtless Autoexpress and Autocar will follow.

Probably need to keep an eye on YouTube for video reviews from Carwow, Greencar, and others.........

In the absence of the availability to get a test drive here in North Wales due to Covid restrictions I guess this will have to do for now!!

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
Generally a positive review, but it seems the What Car reviewer has misunderstood the engineering by referring to a gearbox.  As I understand it engine revs may vary when the engine is acting as a generator, as the power required varies, but at high speeds with direct engine drive to the wheels, the revs will be directly proportional to the speed.  The rough fuel consumption estimate of over 60 mpg is encouraging - reviewers are usually rather heavy-footed!  And where do they find a starting price of £14800?

Autocar review has a starting price of £12935 ?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:24:01 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »

Autocar review has a starting price of £12935 ?
I think that was for the Mk 3, written in 2015.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
Re: 2020 JAZZ HYBRID ROAD TEST AND REVIEWS What Car
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:10:41 AM »
What Car Jazz EX Review
Like the other journalists What Car have driven the new Jazz EX Hybrid and reviewed the range, the SR model comes out as their favorite which would also be my choice.

The colours available are disappointing though, online the White looks best to me but is it really worth an extra £550 when Crystal Black Pearl is a no cost option.

dfconnolly

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
Just read this weeks Autoexpress and it’s stating on the back page:

“NEXT WEEK......Driven
At the wheel of the New Honda Jazz

The actual review is

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz/352449/new-honda-jazz-2020-review

We try all-new Japanese rival for Ford Fiesta on the Road in Britain.”

Time to change to a Ford Fiesta.......NOT!

A Fiesta couldn’t accommodate our two bicycles for a start! Might be worth reading to see if any more information can be teased out of what will doubtless be a stereotypical biased review!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:33:08 PM by dfconnolly »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
Generally a positive review, but it seems the What Car reviewer has misunderstood the engineering by referring to a gearbox.  As I understand it engine revs may vary when the engine is acting as a generator, as the power required varies, but at high speeds with direct engine drive to the wheels, the revs will be directly proportional to the speed. 
The direct drive comes only nearly at cruising speed, when the car speed is more or less stable. Before reaching this condition, it's better to stay in hybrid mode because revs can be higher gaining more horse power; engaging the clutch, the engine  has  to stay at lower revs, maybe with higher torque but with lower power.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:22:26 PM by jazzaro »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:28:21 PM »
Not the best of reviews. Any of them. Must try a test drive when that is allowed in Scotland.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 09:32:15 AM »
Not the best but not the worst.
Complaints coming from press reviews are mainly about the sound of the engine with gas pedal floored, and about stiff suspensions on potholes. Whatcar says that some other cars are punchier, i.e  Polo and Fiesta with 140hp, to me it's clear that a car with 140hp is punchier than another with 108hp..
This Jazz in Europe will fight against Toyota Yaris, not against Polo and Clio.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 11:55:56 AM »
Not the best but not the worst.
Complaints coming from press reviews are mainly about the sound of the engine with gas pedal floored, and about stiff suspensions on potholes. Whatcar says that some other cars are punchier, i.e  Polo and Fiesta with 140hp, to me it's clear that a car with 140hp is punchier than another with 108hp..
This Jazz in Europe will fight against Toyota Yaris, not against Polo and Clio.

I agree. The Jazz has always been a niche product, excellent at some things but more average at others. The press seem completely obsessed by handling and how cars 'feel alive' and respond like the Ford Fiesta as if everyone who drives a car must press on and push the thing to it's limits. For 90% of motorists it's more important to score well on reliability, practicality, running costs. The Jazz seems strong in all of these, ignoring the higher purchase cost which is probably due to the extra tech on board. If you factor in low depreciation and the potential to keep the Jazz 10 years or so (so long as the technology is reliable) then it's a more intelligent purchase than owning 3 or 4 Fiestas over the equivalent period.

I see it gaining a lot of new fans over time once the positive aspects are slowly realised. All cars are going this way with the demise of the petrol engine, manual transmission etc. Probably the next version of the Jazz will be fully electric, for now a clever hybrid is the limit of development balanced with practical use.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
I like the Autoexpress report of 70mpg+.  Even allowing for the trip computer exaggerating by, say, 7 or 8 %, it's clearly economical for average driving.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
Engineering is full of compromises. To get maximum interior ( usable ) space for example - you may to compromise on suspension and go for more compact torsion beam than for other setups that give better handling - so you get a vehicle with interior space easily equal to next size up in a smaller footprint.  Honda have always been good at maximising interior space - they have a name for it 'man maximum - machine minimum'.  No good having a better handling car if you cannot get your luggage in and passengers are cramped.  My brother in law went through a phase of going camping ( don't ask me why ) and was gobsmacked at the amount of stuff he could easily get into a Civic that he struggled to or simply could not get in his previous Volvo,  which was a larger car.   Throw in reliability of Honda which is crucial for older drivers and its a no brainer - we need a new generation of realistic road testers who do not have to pander to companies that buy most advertising space in their magazines or give the most 'perks'...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything