Author Topic: Dutch reach  (Read 1880 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Dutch reach
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 03:24:44 PM »
Cyclists are being advised to ride down the middle of the road now, I can see that being popular.

Cyclists do that a lot anyway,  often 3 abreast.....  I had a 'small person' on an electric scooter coming towards me the other day,  doggedly sticking to white line in the centre of road...... There were cars parked on either side of road,  maybe he was following latest guidelines ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 03:32:58 PM »
If it saves a cyclist from injury or death, then it's no bad thing.

But unfortunately motorist and concentration don't always go together. An old instructor of mine told me there is no such thing as an 'accident'.

An 'accident' is normally when two bad decisions happen in the same place at the same time.

100% agree with that statement.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »
How do the police or a cyclist prove that you didn't us the 'Dutch Reach' technique if you hit a passing cyclist?
Cyclists are being advised to ride down the middle of the road now, I can see that being popular.

Vic.
Not quite true.  The new guidence (not Law or Rule) states they should ride "in the centre of their lane on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions or road narrowings".  So not on main roads.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »
How do the police or a cyclist prove that you didn't us the 'Dutch Reach' technique if you hit a passing cyclist?

Vic.
Not quite true.  The new guidence (not Law or Rule) states they should ride "in the centre of their lane on quiet roads, in slower-moving traffic and at the approach to junctions or road narrowings".  So not on main roads.

Does anyone take a cycling proficiency course any more ? Surely keeping away from parked vehicles should be on the  core training ( as well as being basic common sense ). How about having proper lights on a bike, that should be made a legal requirement,  Oh, it already is - somebody needs to tell the cyclists in our area,  when I used to travel to and from work I often had 'stealth' cyclists scooting around, impossible to see.  I don't often travel  in dark in mornings any more, may do in evening - but I bet the same suspects are at it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 05:12:04 PM »
When walking our dog stealth cyclists with no audible warning device fitted expecting us to get out of their way  :-[
Neil Ives

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 10:19:26 PM »
Mark my words, the new rule on giving way to pedestrians who look as though they want to cross the road will cause more accidents. :o

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 10:50:38 PM »
Reference the “Dutch Reach” - don’t drivers use their door mirrors before opening the door? Main problem I would have thought is passengers in the back seats rather than drivers.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 07:26:35 AM »
Does anyone take a cycling proficiency course any more?
That's a good point.  When I was at school it was practically mandatory to attend a cycling proficiency course.  The Government would be far better putting resources into that.

We also had an inter-schools Highway Code competition where teams from each school were pitted against each other, similar to "top of the form", if anyone remembers that.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 07:43:26 AM »
There are going to be some cyclists who will now deliberately make life hard for vehicles....... because they can.

Road rage involving cyclists will increase as will false reports from some.
Let's be careful out there !

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 08:40:50 AM »
Does anyone take a cycling proficiency course any more ?

They certainly do around here. I see them in their dayglo tabards, usually a few months before they are due to start at "big school".

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
There are going to be some cyclists who will now deliberately make life hard for vehicles....... because they can.

Road rage involving cyclists will increase as will false reports from some.

If anyone does not have a decent dashcam now is the time to get one, it may be your only defence when it is 'your word against theirs' - and we all know that motorists will be well down the pecking order..  Problem with cyclists, escooter riders and pedestrians is that they do not display any ID like vehicles do,  they can cause an accident and then just disappear.... So a dashcam with decent definition has now become a must.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:42:02 AM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 09:13:08 AM »
Reference the “Dutch Reach” - don’t drivers use their door mirrors before opening the door? Main problem I would have thought is passengers in the back seats rather than drivers.

On busy roads I always advise rear seat passengers to slide across and exit on the pavement side, mind you if a cyclist or E-Scooter on the pavement hits the door then what !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 09:32:16 AM »
Does anyone take a cycling proficiency course any more ?

They certainly do around here. I see them in their dayglo tabards, usually a few months before they are due to start at "big school".

To be honest,  I don't think any little-uns would be cycling around in the dark and semi-dark ( except maybe paper boys / girls ) when the Kamikaze stealth cyclists are whizzing around, would seem to be working age idiots... Just wondered if they had ever had a proficiency course, or maybe an IQ test - I hope their IQ is higher than the number of gears on their bike.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 10:00:38 AM »
On busy roads I always advise rear seat passengers to slide across and exit on the pavement side, mind you if a cyclist or E-Scooter on the pavement hits the door then what !

As a pedestrian walking on the pavement, I've nearly been hit by passengers opening car doors without looking. The LAW about taking care when opening doors does not discriminate between drivers and passengers, it applies to both.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
Does anyone take a cycling proficiency course any more?
That's a good point.  When I was at school it was practically mandatory to attend a cycling proficiency course.  The Government would be far better putting resources into that.

They did when I took mine back in 1991. You needed a signature from your parents but that was really seen as just a formality.

I've always looked over my shoulder before opening the door without using the Dutch reach.

Tags: