Author Topic: When to replace tyres?  (Read 2264 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
When to replace tyres?
« on: January 24, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: When to replace tyres?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
An interesting article from Michelin on tyre wear:
https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/michelin-changing-tyres-3mm-unnecessary-costly-harmful-environment/

Seen that before and agree with it, because if some 'do-gooders' have their way the minimum depth will keep increasing.  Some cheap tyres are dangerous even from new ( BTW, it is accepted by the industry that a tyre that has stood 5 years in storage can still be sold as 'new' ) - I saw some tests on motorbike tyres that they lost little performance even at 10 years old, they tried new tyres and the old ones back to back at high speed on a racetrack.   The cynic in me thinks that if Michelin says their tyres are still OK at 1.6 mm that they are encouraging people to buy their tyres rather than other brands, rather than concern for the environment ?  It pays to remember that tyre makers do their own tests and that is what appears on the tyre labels,  a bit like kids marking their own homework.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:25:21 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:13:04 PM »
This is very good statement from Michelin!

I always encourage people to use all tread of the tyre and not to worry about the age of the tyre. Especially regarding summer tyres. Anything else is just waste of money. That's what I've been doing for decades, and found that if there is sufficient tread, modern steel radial tyres are usable up to about 25 years. At some point there will be damage in plies, which makes tyre thumping especially at lower speeds. Then it's time to book an appointment at tyre shop.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:57:34 PM »
My 2 pence worth.
Avoid buying used tyres online esp from overseas.
Keep to makes you recognise & keep spare to right pressure.
Tyres have improved over the past 49 years, majority of cars I work on are underinflated.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 03:22:23 PM »
Tyres are probably the most neglected part of a car, they result in probably the most frequent reason for failures and advisories on MoT tests. They are the item between you and the road, they brake, accelerate and corner
They have a built in depth gauge but personally I would look for new tyres at 2mm.

Vic.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 04:21:55 PM »

I always encourage people to use all tread of the tyre and not to worry about the age of the tyre. Especially regarding summer tyres. Anything else is just waste of money. That's what I've been doing for decades, and found that if there is sufficient tread, modern steel radial tyres are usable up to about 25 years. At some point there will be damage in plies, which makes tyre thumping especially at lower speeds. Then it's time to book an appointment at tyre shop.

Can tyres be modern at 25 years old?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 05:28:33 PM »

That is of cource a valid question. But in a sense of construction method steel belted radial tyres are modern when compared to bias ply tyres.

Pine

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:02:20 PM »
I do keep a regular check on my tyre pressures and tread depth.  When I get the first depth reading under 2mm I start looking for new tyres.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
Hmmm, a lot of rather iffy sweeping statements in that article which are based on passing reference to something in the Michelin document but not actually quoting or applying any context. I'd want to read the original document. I feel uneasy about saying things like how many days are dry so using worn tyres which are good in the dry is a perfectly good choice. It's a bit like saying 80mg/100ml of alcohol in blood is the legal limit so it's a perfectly good idea to drink and drive at 75mg/100ml.
When you change your worn tyres is up to you, I'll stick to being cautious.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »

I also think that tyre compounds will have changed significantly in recent years.

Overall as others have said - it is up to the user to be guided by the law and common sense.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 11:29:57 AM »
Of course we cannot know how well current tyre compounds will keep the performance in 25 years until that time has passed. I would assume they are not drastically worse than in 90's tyres.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
I drive on lots of muddy road in the country. And have to go onto verges to escape 4x4s that do not go onto verges as their owners are incapable of doing so. :'(

And we get snow in winter: not always a lot but some.

I certainly would not want tyres in winter with under 3mm of tread..  And other cheapskates find the same in snow...  (All the BMW drivers stop using their cars in snow voluntarily or stuck and incapable of movement)

I drive Michelin Cross Climates which look as though they will be good for 50k miles before 3mm> I will change them then.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 06:14:38 PM »
I drive on lots of muddy road in the country. And have to go onto verges to escape 4x4s that do not go onto verges as their owners are incapable of doing so. :'(

Shock, :o you mean 4X4 can actually drive where there is no tarmac ?  They are not called Chelsea tractors for nothing.  We have dedicated winter tyres on steel rims on our cars,  alloys take a beating in winter, can give the steels a lick of Hammerite in spring and good as new, also more likely to slide into kerb in winter,  and the steel rims cover the brakes a lot better,  keeping the crap out, especially the rear brakes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 06:37:39 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

aphybrid

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 06:53:19 PM »
Of course we cannot know how well current tyre compounds will keep the performance in 25 years until that time has passed. I would assume they are not drastically worse than in 90's tyres.

I would assume 'modern' tyre compound is much better as in future will also be improved, but maybe further restriction from the green lobby will negate the need for ability to improve.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
I agree that rubber compounds are better now, and actual condition may be more relevant than an arbitrary age. Especially if summer and winter tyres are swopped and  spend much of their life stored out of harmful sunlight.

But they may still suffer from microcracking and deterioration , as can the rubber used in  tyre valves.

But do I have the skill  to spot serious degradation ? I would rather not find I was wrong  by a high speed blow out.    :o

I think 1.6mm is pushing your luck. Far more likely to aquaplane in the wet.   2mm is better.   
I'm skeptical about Michelins  claims, albeit lower  tread Michelins may still be better than other brands with more tread depth.  Sounds like a marketing strategy.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything