Author Topic: Moly surprise  (Read 1336 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Moly surprise
« on: January 09, 2022, 08:50:47 AM »
A little over a week ago my oil needed topping up. The first time in 3 years/30k miles. (I've changed it every year too, of course) On a whim I decided to bung in some molybdenum disulphide additive not having any oil to hand. At 138k miles I thought it wouldn't do any harm and Halfords had some Slik 50 at a tenner.

The car seemed to like it, running a bit smoother in my usual pootling round to the shops, dog walks etc. It was when I got over 60 mph I got the surprise - it's quieter. A lot quieter.

I never expected such a big effect. Anyone know if that's just the coating effect of MoS2? I suppose there might be other things in there that have cleared out some of the oil ways.

Whatever it is I'm happy. My only real problem with the Jazz has always been that on a long run, say the 60 miles each way to my brother's, the noise was pretty wearing. On the motorway I've always turned music off because to hear it it would need to be way too loud. I'm not sure why I always thought it was road noise and not engine noise. Seems I was wrong.

Hopefully it should improve fuel economy too.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Moly surprise
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 03:24:45 PM »
are you saying you put molyslip in your engine ?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 05:59:53 PM »
Slick 50 is an engine additive containing PTFE. Molyslip also produces an engine additive containing Molybdenum disulfide, hence the name.
I used to use Slick 50 regularly when I was running 60's and 70's cars and thought it was the bee's knees.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:30:41 PM »
aaah yes . i did put a bottle of STP in my gearbox before xmas as the molyslip made no difference. but will get the same when i do an engine oil change

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 08:51:12 AM »
It was an engine oil additive which contains Molybdenum Disulphide under the Slik50 brand.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/moly-engine-protector-325ml-262771.html

Seemed a reasonable thing to do as I read the iDSi engine comes out of the factory with various surfaces having a MOS2 coating to reduce friction.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »
My only real problem with the Jazz has always been that on a long run, say the 60 miles each way to my brother's, the noise was pretty wearing. On the motorway I've always turned music off because to hear it it would need to be way too loud. I'm not sure why I always thought it was road noise and not engine noise. Seems I was wrong.

Seems like your car was unusually loud to begin with. I always found the engine fairly quiet, and on the motorway wouldn't have any issues with the radio struggling to get over the engine noise.

What thickness of engine oil do you use?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 03:48:32 PM »
I too have never had issues with engine noise. Tyre noise, yes. I use 5W-30 oil.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:37 PM »
No engine noise problems here either, hardly noticeable at any speed, tyre noise at speed on rough motorway surfaces is another matter.

With modern oils cannot see any reason to add oil additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:06:41 AM »
I've always put 5w30 full synthetic oil in.

I agree my engine must have been the source of the noise because happily it seems a lot better. I'm not sure if it was lack of experience or my duff hearing that meant I'd wrongly assumed it was road noise.

I also got better than usual mpg in the last tank, 47.5, though as it has always varied a lot I'll average out a few tanks before I can say if it's down to the additive.

So, while I agree in general that oil additives aren't needed in my case it seems well worth while.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »
Molybdenum Disulphide is the reason why CV joints now typically last the life of the vehicle, it is just about the slipperiest substance known to science,  with fantastic performance on high pressure surfaces like cams and tappets ( and CV joints ). Most engines these days have MsO2 coated pistons to reduce friction ( not sure if Honda introduced it, but certainly among the first ).  I have always added a glug of Moly to engines, some gearboxes like it, others don't ( certainly do not add it to CVT,  where a controlled level of friction is required for box to operate )  even my motorbikes with wet clutches Liqui-Moly say 2% is OK,  been using it for many years without clutch issues.  I trust it will take care of cams and camchain / tensioner.  A lot of the higher end oils already have Mso2 added.  MsO2 has the property to stick to metals and form a tough layer,  but not other stuff.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: