Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142595 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2022, 06:08:11 PM »
Maybe I wrong, but I think that low mpg on high speed came from single speed gearbox, there Toyota wins with planetary gearbox ….

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2022, 06:21:35 PM »
I’ve had a couple of Toyota hybrids - an Auris and a Yaris.

Motorway mpg was similar to the Jazz slightly less in the Auris, maybe 2mpg less ,and 5 mpg more in the Yaris.

The Yaris was underpowered above 50mph though, despite having similar horsepower as the Jazz.

Although the Jazz only officially has 108hp, the performance is similar to other 130-150hp cars on the motorway.

The equation they use to calculate equivalent horsepower in a hybrid doesn’t match the actual performance you get from one in the ones I’ve had.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:24:19 PM by sportse »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2022, 06:25:06 PM »
Maybe I wrong, but I think that low mpg on high speed came from single speed gearbox, there Toyota wins with planetary gearbox ….
The car will only use direct drive if it's the most efficient option. If more power is needed than can be efficiently delivered by direct drive then the system will switch back to generator - motor mode. This can be seen by watching the power flow display. I suspect that Honda engineers focussed too much on tuning the system to suit their expected usage (predominantly urban driving). There might be a system tweak when the mid-life refresh arrives (next year?). The money problem with the combined emissions total is explained here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14648.0 .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
MPG for those interested
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2022, 06:29:13 PM »
Yes, the computer in the jazz seems programmed for low speed efficiency.

You can get good, mostly quiet performance on the motorway but have to drive around the programming.

I’ve found pressing the accelerator 1/3 of the way and holding it there gets you good acceleration at high speed after only a short delay.

Whereas pressing the pedal a long way gets you nothing for what seems like ages before the computer decides to accelerate.

A mode switch with sport/normal/eco like the HRV would be useful.

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2022, 10:28:28 AM »
First refilled to full tank since acquiring my MkIV.
Car system reported 61.2 MPG, actual physical calculation 59.5 MPG.  Did 470 miles before refilling, one bar left on the fuel gauge.
About 15% of mileage short local trips, rest on A or Motorway (averaging about 62 mph).
Best ever tank filled average in my previous MkII was 54.7 MPG which was mainly a long run down a quiet A9 with cruise control set at 60 in Summer.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:33 PM »
Current total mileage today, since April 21 =  7336 miles, Fuel consumption over that distance = 65.9MPG
Driving style: Mostly 'B' mode except where ACC is required, (which is not often).  ECO = Off

I have to confess that only about 12-15% of those miles are motorway miles and then generally circa 65Mph.
Most motoring is urban/country roads where speed limits are 50mph or less.

These figures are from the dashboard readouts, not really concerned about any errors in quoted/real results, since all my previous Jazz cars have used the same basis for consumption comparison.
Typically, they were usually in the mid 50s Mpg, so more than happy with the MK4 improvements.

Have now turned the 8000mile mark, which I guess now covers most of the Winter period, consumption over that mileage is still returning 66.0mpg, so still very pleased with results.

Just turned over the 10020 miles mark today  and still showing circa 67.0mpg, ( see the trip B result)
It seems that the trip B figure on the dashboard only reads to 4 digits, hence it is reading 20.3 miles instead of 10020 miles.
I've also included a photo of the trip A results for the last 3 refuels, which I think show fairly consistent results.
Still well pleased with the vehicle. ;D

1KPI

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: HRV Advanced Style Sunlight White Pearl 2 Tone
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
Speed makes a huge difference- this shows two trips on country roads likely averaging 40mph and two trips on the motorway at 70mph:

I’ve tried various things but when you are at 70mph there is hardly any difference to the mpg you get. Likely because most of the time the petrol engine is in direct drive mode and running.

An interesting post
Could you please tell me how you got the trip computer on the main screen?

1KPI

• Registered Member
« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »
Sorry incomplete post
Trip computer as a short cut
I cannot see it as any of my tabs

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2022, 12:09:38 PM »
For Trip Computer on main screen:- Go to - Home - Cursor right - Trip computer.
In my case Trip A is set, to reset at Refuelling, so it give the current situation plus the last 3 refuels.
Trip B is set to Manual reset and has not been touched since the car was new, hence it gives total mileage with consumption to match.

1KPI

• Registered Member
« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2022, 02:45:48 PM »
Excellent!
Thanks for the prompt advice
Sometimes you look but don’t just see!
Really v pleased with the Crosstar which I’ve had for 2 months now
The real ( brim to brim ) fuel consumption has been more than 60mpg under all driving circumstances which, given rising fuel costs, has been one of many benefits of getting the car.
The only readjustment I have had to make is realising the compact external dimensions given the spaciousness inside

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
I currently have a crosstar loan car - I'm finding maybe 5 mpg more on the motorway.

Perhaps the tyres on the crosstar have lower resistance than the standard EX tyres?

I found the standard EX tyres to be better in the wet, but in the dry the crosstar tyres are more comfortable.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2022, 03:30:37 PM »
But that's more down to the make and type of tyre, not the car. As a generalisation All Season tyres are said to give a softer ride, however, only Fallen make an All Season tyre for the Crosstar - it's a rare size - so replacement is limited.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »
Here are trip computer figures for my Jazz EX on its current continental road trip.  Summer tyres, aircon on.

One shows it in mpg  ,the other the same figures   in litres per 100 km   '
Prev  3' is A roads, no motorway  , includes crossing the Brenner pass from Austria into Italy.   For much of this trip the average was 88 mpg.
Prev 2'  is  A roadsc, crossing a mountain pass and approx  25% on  motorway
Prev 1'  is in  A roads and about 70 % of it on  motorway 
Current is A roads.  No motorway

Motorways were fairly leisurely  - maybe 60 -65mph, but faster  at times .

I am very pleased with these results. Average from new  (5263 miles )is 67.9 mpg
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 01:07:09 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2022, 04:15:23 PM »
I currently have a crosstar loan car - I'm finding maybe 5 mpg more on the motorway.

Perhaps the tyres on the crosstar have lower resistance than the standard EX tyres?

I found the standard EX tyres to be better in the wet, but in the dry the crosstar tyres are more comfortable.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2022, 05:44:19 PM »
It seems that speed makes a massive difference to MPG - at 70mph it's around 50-55mpg no matter what you do.

But if you don't use the motorways then it's easy to get 70+ mpg.

Considering the performance, it's a great achievement for performance/mpg.

Tags:

anything