Author Topic: Best safety and grip tyres for Mk 1 anything better than a Toyo Proxes?  (Read 1674 times)

Shuggie69

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
Hi,
We are replacing a pair of Toyo Proxes CF2 summer tyres (mid range - £60 each) on the front wheels after almost 26 thousand miles, mainly motorway and too many kerbs. According to the AA 20,000 is the minimum at the front.
So just wondering if there are any recommendations out there for even greater longevity, wet weather driving, better fuel economy and stopping distance? The Continental Eco Contact 6 has a very good fuel rating but not sure that is something we need to worry about given how good the Jazz is for this. We want maximum safety but also need to try and avoid the high prices of the top brands without compromising on this. I guess tyre volume is irrelevant given how loud the Jazz engine is on the motorway!
thanks, Hugh

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
The best tyre in warm dry weather won't necessarily be the best in the wet, and another will be best in the cold, another on snow etc.
The recent developments in "all season" tyres are a pretty good compromise offering very good performance in summer and winter, things like Michelin Cross Climate or Goodyear Vector 4-Seasons etc.
Have a look at some of the reviews, this is a good start https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/features/92863/best-all-season-tyres-2020-top-all-weather-tyres-tested-and-reviewed/verdict-results-category

I've used true "winter tyres" (Goodyear Ultra-grip) in snow and ice, and until you try them you don't appreciate just how much better they are than a summer tyre.

Some owners on this forum have direct experience of certain all-season tyres, they'll be able to give first hand advice. As and when my Jazz gets to needing new tyres I'll be going that route.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:05:17 AM by embee »

Shuggie69

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
Thank you very much.

The Cross Climate has the same rating for fuel/resistance and wet as the Toyo Proxes CF2 and is only slightly quieter but £40 more. Honest John recommend the Continental All Season Contact, which also has the same rating for fuel/resistance and wet; but comes at a premium price.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Have a look see on mytyres.co.uk enter your requirements , check reviews then hunt down a deal with your local tyre shop.

Droneranger

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 iDSi SE GE3 2007
Hi,
We are replacing a pair of Toyo Proxes CF2 summer tyres (mid range - £60 each) on the front wheels after almost 26 thousand miles, mainly motorway and too many kerbs. According to the AA 20,000 is the minimum at the front.
So just wondering if there are any recommendations out there for even greater longevity, wet weather driving, better fuel economy and stopping distance? The Continental Eco Contact 6 has a very good fuel rating but not sure that is something we need to worry about given how good the Jazz is for this. We want maximum safety but also need to try and avoid the high prices of the top brands without compromising on this. I guess tyre volume is irrelevant given how loud the Jazz engine is on the motorway!
thanks, Hugh

As you say you are only buying 2 tyres, then you need to buy tyres to match the other tyres fitted to your car, do not mix summer and winter tyres. Have a look at   Tyre Reviews on youtube  there is a video on this there.  Also fit your new tyres on the rear as mentioned in this video.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
I've always wondered why all season tyres are not more popular in the UK. They seem to be pretty much made for our climate.

In our relatively wet/warm Summers, I don't suppose they give up much grip Vs Summer tyres, especially for non sports cars that are not going to be driven anywhere near the limits of grip levels.

But in the Winter, with cold icy mornings and the occasional snow, all season tyres will give you a massive benefit over Summers.

It seems you lose little in the Summer but gain a lot of safety in the Winter..

E27006

• Approved Member
Fuel saving tyres, the difference between the high ratings and the lower ratings for rolling resistance amounts to 25% for the tyres, In a lab test a top tyre had 41 Newtons of force opposing motion, the worst 52 Newtons ,   this does not translate into a 25 % fuel saving by any means, there are so many other factors affecting fuel economy, for example at motorway speeds the differences between tyres are effectively zero,

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
After they wore out I replaced Yokohama Bluearth ES32, which were great tyres and with which I was extremely happy, with Yokohama Bluearth 4S AW21 (all-weather), because of the increasing amount of rainfall we seem to be experiencing.
The 4S are no noisier than the ES32, and only marginally less fuel-efficient (after the initial running-in period when all new tyres are less fuel-efficient). I find them exceptionally grippy and happily push them hard.
MyTyres are selling them for £52 each.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Fitted Michelin All Seasons tyres to Jazz there years and 18k miles ago.
Not much difference in summer grip (had Michelin Energy Savers) but excellent in snow and mud..I go along single track roads a lot and passing places are so muddy that 4x4s with summer tyres get stuck..

Only very noisy on a few roads with corrugations: have to slow down as noise was painful.

I expect to see 50k miles from a set (Michelin Enery lasted 30k miles)

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
Fitted Michelin All Seasons tyres to Jazz there years and 18k miles ago.
Not much difference in summer grip (had Michelin Energy Savers) but excellent in snow and mud..I go along single track roads a lot and passing places are so muddy that 4x4s with summer tyres get stuck..

Only very noisy on a few roads with corrugations: have to slow down as noise was painful.

I expect to see 50k miles from a set (Michelin Enery lasted 30k miles)
50k miles? Jesus, I only got 4500 miles out of my last set of fronts, although I wasn't easy on them.

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018

Tags:

anything