Author Topic: New front wheel bearing, then no drive  (Read 2470 times)

JonnyJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Jazz Sport GD1
New front wheel bearing, then no drive
« on: May 15, 2022, 03:11:02 PM »
The car went in for a new front wheel bearing but it seems the clowns doing the job have done it some serious harm. I’m told the car was driven out of the workshop but then all drive to the wheels was lost. There was a suggestion the driveshaft splines were worn out but I think I’m being fed BS as it drove perfectly fine before they touched it.
Anyone have any idea what they could have buggered up?   

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: New front wheel bearing, then no drive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 04:10:06 PM »
Driveshaft nut not tightened.
Ask to see the driveshaft..Look at the splines.

If they cannot produce it,then they broke it.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 06:06:11 AM »
The car went in for a new front wheel bearing but it seems the clowns doing the job have done it some serious harm. I’m told the car was driven out of the workshop but then all drive to the wheels was lost. There was a suggestion the driveshaft splines were worn out but I think I’m being fed BS as it drove perfectly fine before they touched it.
Anyone have any idea what they could have buggered up?

If the splines were worn should they not have informed you prior to rebuild?
Is the garage part of a trade organisation, if so seek recourse through that if no direct resolution.

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 07:10:28 AM »
Yes indeed, if the splines were worn or damaged this should have been highlighted before the job went any further, but I doubt there was anything wrong with them at that stage. It could well be the hub nut not being tightened correctly which could be a problem when we go to tow it away later this week. 
The job was being done gratis as a favour by a friend of a friend, any financial redress will not be possible.   

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 07:06:52 AM »
Something odd happened when we went to collect the car yesterday. I started the engine, put it in gear, released the clutch and it drove! We put the tow strap away and departed in convoy with the tow car.

About a mile down the road there was a red traffic light. When it came to pulling away, as the clutch was released there was a distinct clunk similar to when a gearbox jumps out of gear and that was it – no drive.
We pushed the stricken Jazz off the main road into a side street, hooked up the tow strap and dragged it 10 miles the rest of the way.

The question is, how come it drove after standing for a while after the wheel bearing job was done? The loss of drive I experienced was just the same as described by the people that did the job.

Now, even with the engine running all gears can be selected without the clutch being depressed. The pedal seems normal to me so this suggests that either there is a problem with the clutch/release mechanism or more seriously – there is a problem with the gearbox. Has anyone out there ever had this happen on their car?         

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:29:56 AM »
Remote diagnosis can be tricky, in your issue the source is the 'garage' who carried out the work - your first port of call.

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
Just got in the car, started the engine put it in gear and it drove up the drive and reversed back again. It seems the disengagement of drive happens when the engine and gearbox warm up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »
It sounds to me like a clutch issue. If it has anything to do with the wheel bearing the shaft should be spinning even though the car is not driving. The fact you can select any gear without depressing the clutch sounds like a clutch issue though what, I haven't a clue.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 09:56:10 PM »
I had this once when the centre of the clutch plate broke away from the friction part, on a big Nissan.

Intermittent drive for a short while, then no drive at all. Everything felt normal, clutch pedal, gear stick, but no drive. A new clutch fixed the problem.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 09:15:11 PM »
I had this once when the centre of the clutch plate broke away from the friction part, on a big Nissan.

Intermittent drive for a short while, then no drive at all. Everything felt normal, clutch pedal, gear stick, but no drive. A new clutch fixed the problem.
Ditto with a Rover 800 with 2l Petrol.
Reversed into garage overnight - fine.
Put into first gear in morning to drive out-bang .No drive.

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 10:17:42 AM »
Problem here is that it will drive a short distance before it fails again. Leave it a while and it will drive again but I dare not take it out on the road and get stranded. It will have to wait until this weekend or next, I'm too busy to look at it at  present but the first thing I'm going to check is the slave cylinder.     

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 08:45:53 AM »
All fixed with a second hand driveshaft. 
Some idiot had ground down the splines at the gearbox end and refitted it with no C clip so it was free to go in and out of the diff as it pleased.
Such unbelievable stupidity I've not encountered before. 

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »
Looks like you need to have a few strong words with whoever you took it to in the first place

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 06:53:43 PM »
Splines probably were not ground down but worn down by slipping in and out. It may well have been like that for long enough. Getting the wheel bearing done just loosened it enough to fail completely.

JonnyJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 04:51:32 PM »
It looks ground down to me.

Tags: