Author Topic: New South African variant.  (Read 42177 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: New South African variant.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2021, 03:26:01 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also Moronic

I know my eyes are failing but the "B" in Crimbo " is not present in "Moronic" :P

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2021, 03:48:38 PM »
Sorry Omicron is an anagram of moronic

BTW Javid is now on from HOC trying to make it sound as if they are not backtracking.

It must be getting serious . Most of the guys behind him are wearing masks now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:56:19 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2021, 04:03:50 PM »
Until scientists know more about this variant it is sensible to limit transmission by getting vaccinated, limiting travel, and limiting social contact.
While there are unvaccinated people either by choice or through unavaliability of vaccines the virus has scope to reproduce and mutate.

I agree, I just can't fathom why others don't see it that way.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-19/double-jabbed-may-spread-covid-as-much-as-the-unvaccinated

Seems that the virus is likely to mutate more if a vaccinated person gets covid, and vaccination does not stop them spreading it.  Many experts ( not the tame government ones ) advise not to vaccinate during a pandemic as it can actually speed up the rate of mutation of the virus.  Vaccination may have flattened the curve and saved the NHS,  but by flattening the curve it has also spread the curve out for longer and allowed more mutations to emerge, which in the natural course of things should have been more infectious and milder,  but once vaccines get involved all bets are off.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2021, 04:33:39 PM »

Also Moronic

I know my eyes are failing but the "B" in Crimbo " is not present in "Moronic" :P
My apologies for the spelling error (Omricon not Omicron) in the picture, whoever created it might be tech savvy but couldn't spell.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2021, 04:36:02 PM »

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-19/double-jabbed-may-spread-covid-as-much-as-the-unvaccinated

Seems that the virus is likely to mutate more if a vaccinated person gets covid, and vaccination does not stop them spreading it.  Many experts ( not the tame government ones ) advise not to vaccinate during a pandemic as it can actually speed up the rate of mutation of the virus.  Vaccination may have flattened the curve and saved the NHS,  but by flattening the curve it has also spread the curve out for longer and allowed more mutations to emerge, which in the natural course of things should have been more infectious and milder,  but once vaccines get involved all bets are off.
Where are you getting this stuff?
It's not what it's saying in the article you've linked to which is warning that you can still spread the virus even if you are double vaccinated - which is why you should still be taking precautions so that you do not unwittingly spread the virus.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »

My apologies for the spelling error (Omricon not Omicron) in the picture, whoever created it might be tech savvy but couldn't spell.
Maybe they have sexydial. ::)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2021, 04:59:50 PM »
One of mankind's greatest achievements (and perhaps its biggest folly) is the invention of the Internet. Now, everyone is a virus expert, either being in favour of vaccination or against.

Without the Internet, we would surely have seen greater trust in government and virologists and a higher vaccination rate (at least in Western Europe and the States).

IHMO, a mutation of opinions online has been just as destructive as each variant of the virus itself.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »
Vaccination may have flattened the curve and saved the NHS,  but by flattening the curve it has also spread the curve out for longer and allowed more mutations to emerge, which in the natural course of things should have been more infectious and more deadly,  but once vaccines get involved all bets are off.

There. I've fixed it for you.

I know the later mutations would become less harmful, but without the vaccine at all, deaths due to Covid would have been unimaginable. That is the original, much discredited and highly fatal 'herd immunity' plan.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:32:43 PM by richardfrost »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »
Vaccination may have flattened the curve and saved the NHS,  but by flattening the curve it has also spread the curve out for longer and allowed more mutations to emerge, which in the natural course of things should have been more infectious and more deadly,  but once vaccines get involved all bets are off.

There. I've fixed it for you.

I know the later mutations would become less harmful, but without the vaccine at all, deaths due to Covid would have been unimaginable. That is the original, much discredited and highly fatal 'herd immunity' plan.

Vast majority of  people who get covid do not die, its fatality rate is just a bit more than influenza.   Nine people in our family have had covid, most of them older than me >70 and they are fine ( because they are not obese and are in pretty good health ).  Remember 95% of covid fatalities are over 60 with 2 OR MORE pre-existing serious health conditions... ( things that could, on their own result in their death at any time ).  A major cause of covid deaths is obesity... which there is a lot of in UK
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 06:29:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »
One of mankind's greatest achievements (and perhaps its biggest folly) is the invention of the Internet. Now, everyone is a virus expert, either being in favour of vaccination or against.

Without the Internet, we would surely have seen greater trust in government and virologists and a higher vaccination rate (at least in Western Europe and the States).

IHMO, a mutation of opinions online has been just as destructive as each variant of the virus itself.

The internet has stopped governments hiding things, like they used to do when they controlled the media... Guess why China does not like the internet ?

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2021, 06:41:23 PM »

The internet has stopped governments hiding things, like they used to do when they controlled the media..

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks!

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated... the full effect of vaccines on reducing transmission is even higher than 63 per cent, because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place... vaccines reduce transmission by more than 80 per cent overall

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

vaccinated people infected with the delta variant are 63 per cent less likely to infect people who are unvaccinated... the full effect of vaccines on reducing transmission is even higher than 63 per cent, because most vaccinated people don’t become infected in the first place... vaccines reduce transmission by more than 80 per cent overall

That depends which studies you read about,  some studies also say wearing masks reduces transmission, but the virus is so very, very tiny compared to the holes in mask material that it will not stop them...

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »

That depends which studies you read about,  some studies also say wearing masks reduces transmission, but the virus is so very, very tiny compared to the holes in mask material that it will not stop them...

Dermot has quoted his source (New Scientist), what is yours? No reputable source = fake news.

As for masks, how much proof do you need? Here's some comments from a year ago (there may be more up to date sources available now):
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
Summary: masks aren't perfect but there's a large body of both scientific and anecdotal evidence suggesting they both reduce transmission and reduce your chances of getting infected. Is it really so difficult to wear one?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »

Usually the virus is on droplets of spittle or mucus. The mask stops most of that.
From the above Nature article.
"The virus itself is only about 0.1 µm in diameter. But because viruses don’t leave the body on their own, a mask doesn’t need to block particles that small to be effective. More relevant are the pathogen-transporting droplets and aerosols, which range from about 0.2 µm to hundreds of micrometres across. "

Masks aren't perfect but they help.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:43:04 AM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything