Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201336 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #525 on: January 08, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
Decided to give up on my quest for great mpg. The new tyres make it difficult and the last few days I have been running the engine to keep warm while waiting on my wife finishing her work. A no no in the search for good numbers.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #526 on: January 08, 2021, 05:11:14 PM »
Think your mpg is still exemplary even with the new tyres and winter weather. Given the small mileage I do, I'm not quite sure why I still obsess about mpg. As I have said many times before I am just a sucker for pie charts and graphs!

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #527 on: January 09, 2021, 11:16:51 PM »
Decided to give up on my quest for great mpg. The new tyres make it difficult and the last few days I have been running the engine to keep warm while waiting on my wife finishing her work. A no no in the search for good numbers.

Jocko. Careful now. I am reminded of the time an ex army officer visited our school to talk about his experiences in WW2 and his time in a POW camp in mid Europe. It was a bitterly cold winter and rations and provisions were scarce despite the Geneva Convention to the extent that it was considered a privilege to clean out the German Officer's toilets for any undigested scraps such as sweet corn etc. The most striking story was the fire in the middle of the camp. The fatal mistake was to give in to the cold. If you could wrap up and stay on the outer perimeter you would have a good chance of getting through the freezing conditions. The moment you gave in and started inching closer to the fire was the beginning of the end. For those could not resist, the laws of diminishing returns kicked in and the closer they got, the lower the resistance and the more warmth they craved until they were virtually in the fire and that was usually the end. Never forgotten that account. However, in your case, I think staying warm is quite the smartest thing to do, all things considered... :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:18:44 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #528 on: January 10, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
The warm car is warmer than the house. Yesterday we had two electric fires in the living room and one in each bedroom. Thankfully today is a lot milder.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #529 on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
Decided to give up on my quest for great mpg.
My world is reeling  :-X
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #530 on: January 10, 2021, 07:23:01 PM »
Topped up today though and still managed to top 50 mpg, calculated.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2021, 08:49:23 AM »
I topped up a couple of days back. calculated UK MPG was 41. - my lowest Yet - dropped my average to 45.4 MPG.
The saving grace is that this tank has lasted me 3 Months - Thanks to Lockdowns.

At this rate of fuel consumption - Vehicle Tax will cost me the same as fuel!

Expanding on that thought - If I consider the other car related costs - Oil/Filters/MOT/TAX and Insurance - The cost of fuel is less than a third of my overall TCO!

I'll still monitor my MPG (And obsess over it - I think it makes me a more eco conscious and safer driver)

@Jocko - don't give up on your quest for great figures! you've been an inspiration to many!!

Cheers!

My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #532 on: January 15, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
@Jocko - don't give up on your quest for great figures! you've been an inspiration to many!!
Thanks. I will still keep trying to squeeze as much out of a tankful as I can manage.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #533 on: January 15, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »
Think I'm on target for my lowest ever mpg. I've done 135 miles since November 30th - an average of less than 3 miles per day. Average speed 12 mph. A fair bit of idling as I wait for windscreens to clear. The fibometer is showing 34.6 which I reckon will be about 31 mpg.

On the plus side I may not need to refuel until March!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #534 on: January 15, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
With my running my wife back and forward to work five days a week, and sitting with the engine running to warm the car up, while I wait for her coming out, my ScanGauge shows around 45 mpg for a day's driving. Luckily I get a two, sometimes three 80-mile trips every seven days.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:07 AM »
MPG is not too bad. Today, from yellow light on and 388 miles, it worked out to be 51.3 ("Fibometer" - 52.5).
This time last year, the calculated figure was 52.7 mpg. Now that the new all-weather tyres are getting the edges scrubbed off the fuel efficiency is improving. And let's not forget, that is still with sitting with the engine running for the few minutes I have to wait on my wife finishing work on the frosty days.

Jackroosall

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz Sport 1.3
« Reply #536 on: January 23, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »
Honda Jazz Sport SE 2003.
43-47 winter use
45-49 summer use
mainly rural driving below 60.
Mileage 107000
Serviced at regular intervals.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #537 on: January 24, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »
Welcome. Yes, keeping the speed below 60 makes a big difference. I seldom go any faster. I read somewhere that the i-DSi Jazz returns it's best mpg at 53 mph(?) so I try to keep around that speed. Max torque is just above 2,500 rpm so the is a good place to stay.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #538 on: January 24, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
One thing I have noticed Jocko is that your fibometer readings are much closer to the actual mpg than mine and many others. Is this because of a smooth driving style do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #539 on: January 24, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
It may be. I only reset it every top-up, so we are talking around 400 miles between resets.

Tags: