Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 752933 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1200 on: July 01, 2019, 10:16:21 AM »
My wife was getting home from hospital yesterday, and as I pushed her along the corridor, in a wheel chair, I met a lady on a mobility scooter coming the other way. I stopped, she smiled, turned sharp left, and accelerated head on into the wall! Glad I didn't meet her in the car park when she was in her car.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1201 on: July 01, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
This bloke in Aldi was on a scooter that only just fitted through the till aisle, I think he caught the throttle on the side of the other till and got it jammed full on, he was just a blur. I felt so sorry for this little old woman, she was knocked over like a skittle and had to be helped up onto a chair. I heard her say she had just had a new knee! She didn't want any fuss, and went home after a sit down, despite offers of help - I saw her limping over the carpark.

All the silly bugger on the scooter could say was "it got stuck". I think I would have been on the floor, "send for an ambulance!".

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1202 on: July 01, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
I agree about kamikaze mobility scooter drivers / riders,  especially inside shopping malls and shops.  Mind you were in Morecambe last week having a stroll along the fairly wide promenade and the number and speed of bikes along there sharing it with pedestrians but whizzing up behind you and through gaps between pedestrians was alarming, and no bell to warn you, as usual the full lycra wearing tour de France wannabes were the worst offenders..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1203 on: July 01, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
Cyclists on pavements.

Don't get me started  >:( >:( >:(

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1204 on: July 01, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »
I agree about kamikaze mobility scooter drivers / riders,  especially inside shopping malls and shops.  Mind you were in Morecambe last week having a stroll along the fairly wide promenade and the number and speed of bikes along there sharing it with pedestrians but whizzing up behind you and through gaps between pedestrians was alarming, and no bell to warn you, as usual the full lycra wearing tour de France wannabes were the worst offenders..

Cyclists on pavements.

To be fair, the cyclists are actually committing an offence by cycling on pavements/pedestrian areas, but mobility scooters seem to be a grey area - they certainly seem to think they have every right on pavements, and on roads for that matter. I just think they should be restricted to pedestrian speeds.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #1205 on: July 01, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
I just think they should be restricted to pedestrian speeds.
+1

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1206 on: July 01, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »
Maybe mobility scooters should be fitted with emergency automatic braking ( but there would probably be a shopping bag or blanket blocking the sensors ) - or at least a transponder that limits the speed when they go through doorways into shops and public buildings until they come out again.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1207 on: July 01, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
There are speed limits for these scooters, what I can't understand is why they allow the sale of scooters which can go 20+mph?

The limit for class 2 scooters, intended for pavement use, is 4 mph. For the bigger class 3 scooters, intended for use on the pavement and road, the limit is 8mph. Class 3 scooters have to be registered with the DVLA, I wonder how many of them actually are?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1208 on: July 02, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
I think all scooters should require Public Liability insurance, with a sticker displayed to show they are insured. Plus a test before they can be used.  Like CBT for a bike.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1209 on: July 02, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
Fully Charged has had a first drive in the Honda e, and he seemed rather impressed. What he really loved were the camera mirrors, which he raved about, and the turning circle, which is about half that of a London black cab! He was also impressed with the acceleration, even in normal mode (it has Normal and Sport modes), and the one pedal operation.
Video is 12 minutes long and worth a watch.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #1210 on: July 03, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »

Cyclists on pavements.

To be fair, the cyclists are actually committing an offence by cycling on pavements/pedestrian areas, but mobility scooters seem to be a grey area - they certainly seem to think they have every right on pavements, and on roads for that matter. I just think they should be restricted to pedestrian speeds.

In Morecambe, the cycle lane is on the Promenade, so not illegal, but stupid design. It is about time we:

- created properly designated cycle lanes that can't be blocked by parked cars and clearly separate cyclists from pedestrians and cars.
- made parking across a pavement or cycle lane illegal

Where I live, the Cycle Route 66 passes through the Pennines by using a variety of means, one of the most common being the canal towpaths. As a runner, cyclists approaching me from behind are a real menace. Once I was leading a small group of runners and a bike came up behind, silently. I never run with headphones in, so I heard him and shouted 'BIKE' to warn my colleagues.

He said 'sorry, I fell a while back and my bell broke'.
I said 'did your voice break too?'

On the canal towpath the priority is pedestrians first (which includes runners), then bikes. But cyclists seem to forget that. Cyclists must give way to pedestrians. However, pedestrians need to be realistic and not unreasonably block the cyclists.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1211 on: July 03, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »
On the canal towpath the priority is pedestrians first (which includes runners), then bikes. But cyclists seem to forget that. Cyclists must give way to pedestrians. However, pedestrians need to be realistic and not unreasonably block the cyclists.

When I was an apprentice one of the other Appies used to go jogging along local canals with his mate, one day two lads on bikes rode towards them side by side and showed no sign of giving way - he stood his ground ( he was a big lad ) and as they refused to dismount and started getting lippy and told him to move out the way he pulled them off their bikes and threw the bikes into canal.  These days he may have got stabbed, but I think those pair were so shocked they didn't know what to do.

Cyclists seem oblivious to the rules of the road and think non of it applies to them, including speed limits, not riding across pedestrian crossings and obeying traffic lights. 

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #1212 on: July 03, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
I often use that towpath on route 66 near Saltaire. A few months ago signs appeared reminding pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers to be considerate and courteous. Seem to have worked remarkably well.

Getting nearer to topic I once saw en electric boat there. Spooky, it was so quiet.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1213 on: July 04, 2019, 12:45:05 PM »
Looking at prices of used Tesla Model s and you can buy a 5 year old. low mileage (42,000 miles), SE85 for £34,000. It comes with free Supercharging for life, and an 8 year warranty on battery and drive unit.
A lot of car for the money. A Honda e would have to slot in lower than that price.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1214 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
Shock horror: 'Grave concern' as sales of low emission cars fall. Sales of low emission vehicles have fallen for the first time in over two years. "hybrid electric vehicle sales were down 4.7%" however TOTAL NEW CAR SALES were down 4.9%. Does that not mean that in a falling market, hybrid electric vehicles did better than conventional cars?
Registrations of battery electric vehicles are up over 60% this year compared to the same period in 2018.
To me this says car sales are struggling but battery and hybrid cars are struggling less than most. Or maybe I am just biased?

Tags: