Author Topic: a/c compressor cycle times  (Read 1629 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
a/c compressor cycle times
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:42:35 AM »
my a/c comes on for 5 to 6 seconds and then of for 9 to 10 seconds

this seems very short time, the a/c works perfectly cold

maybe it stays on longer the hotter the weather is, not sure

anyone else have this 5 to 6 seconds on and 9 to 10 seconds off cycle

i did hear that fast cycling is a sign of low refrigerant, the car is 2 years old with just over 10k miles   

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: a/c compressor cycle times
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
The amount of ON time depends by the amount of heat to be removed from the cabin.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »

i did hear that fast cycling is a sign of low refrigerant, the car is 2 years old with just over 10k miles

I'm probably being dim here, but I don't quite understand.

On my car (which has manual control of the A/C, not climate control) I push the button, the green light comes on and stays on, and cold air comes out of the vents. Do you mean that on your car the green light comes on and off every few seconds (which doesn't sound right)? Or is there some other way of detecting that A/C is switching on and off?

If your car has climate control I would expect the A/C to function according to whatever inputs that system uses to control the interior environment (temperature, humidity, etc), and it may well switch on/off at fairly short intervals. I don't have that, so don't know how you detect if it's running or not.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:32:23 AM »

I'm probably being dim here, but I don't quite understand.

On my car (which has manual control of the A/C, not climate control) I push the button, the green light comes on and stays on, and cold air comes out of the vents. Do you mean that on your car the green light comes on and off every few seconds (which doesn't sound right)? Or is there some other way of detecting that A/C is switching on and off?

If your car has climate control I would expect the A/C to function according to whatever inputs that system uses to control the interior environment (temperature, humidity, etc), and it may well switch on/off at fairly short intervals. I don't have that, so don't know how you detect if it's running or not.

Well on aircon the input from the condenser sensor ( cold part ) sets the on - off times,  if the condenser is getting too cold and liable to freeze up it cuts out the signal to the clutch solenoid and disconnects drive to compressor ( the scroll type honda compressor is simpler and more robust than the piston ones with variable stroke,  but honda one has a fixed output volume depending on speed it is rotating so if system getting too cold the drive has to be disconnected - the piston type variable stroke ones can just alter the stroke to reduce output and the drive stays connected to compressor all the time ).   The noise of the fans is a good indication as the fans under the bonnet go on and off with the compressor clutch... I assume MK3 aircon same as MK2.  I have done tests with a temperature probe down the air  vent and different circulating fan speeds,  the higer the fan speed the less cold the air coming out of vents is - especially when outside temp over 25degC,  at about 27deg ambient with the fan running slow the vent air can get down to about 5deg, medium speed  about 7 to 8deg and at high speed 9 to 10 degC, and the compressor runs longer in hot weather,  with less off time.

If it is very hot I notice the clutch does not cut in and out at same frequency ( it stays on much longer ) as when weather is cooler, this is because the hot air passing over condenser does not cool it down anywhere near freezing point.  At temperature below 4 or 5 degC the aircon should not run at all as that is the danger zone for freezing.

The amount of ON time depends by the amount of heat to be removed from the cabin.

Exactly....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:58:38 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
thanks guys

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Well on aircon the input from the condenser sensor ( cold part ) sets the on - off times,  if the condenser is getting too cold and liable to freeze up it cuts out the signal to the clutch solenoid and disconnects drive to compressor ( the scroll type honda compressor is simpler and more robust than the piston ones with variable stroke,  but honda one has a fixed output volume depending on speed it is rotating so if system getting too cold the drive has to be disconnected - the piston type variable stroke ones can just alter the stroke to reduce output and the drive stays connected to compressor all the time ).   The noise of the fans is a good indication as the fans under the bonnet go on and off with the compressor clutch... I assume MK3 aircon same as MK2.
Many japanese cars use scroll type compressors, more reliable, quieter and efficient compared with piston compressors. Also small cars as Fiat 500, Panda and Citroen C1 use scroll type compressor, since they are cheaper.
Medium size eurpoean cars instead use variable stroke piston compressors, since they are more confortable: ok, they are a little bit noisier, but the power drag is constant so in low gears the car won't modify the gas response. Yes, you feel the difference between aircon ON or OFF, but in ON the gas response is moreorless always the same. My Jazz in 1-2-3° gear is instead much more slower at low revs with the compressor in ON, and I clearly feel when the clutch engages and disengages, especially in up and downhill; this is a little annoying, because in some seconds you have full torque avaiable, in some other seconds you have some torque less because the compressor has been engaged.
This effect is emphasized in small engines and manual gearbox (i.e the 1.3 6m Jazz), while CVT gearbox the effect is much filtered. Since japanese cars are very often sold with CVT in their major markets, we can understand why they use a scroll compressor, and why Renault and VW use variable stroke compressors in their Clio and Polos.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:25:54 PM by jazzaro »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 02:09:39 PM »
if i leave the car for a few days i sometimes get a noise like you crunched your gearbox on first start of the compressor

does anyone else get this sort of thing

i come home and wait for it to finish its cycle and then turn it off before shutting the engine off and then when i come back to the car i turn the engine on and then the a/c before i start to drive off the driveway and that is when sometimes i get the noise from the compressor

very strange, it only does it once (if it does it) it might be a bit of moisture getting in the middle of the clutch plate after rain, but the second cycle is normal noise from then on

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »
I'm genuinely puzzled by all this. You guys seem to be able to detect all sorts of things from your A/C: clutches engaging/disengaging, fan speeds changing, odd "crunching" noises, even different throttle responses. I don't detect any of that, I just leave it switched on and it provides cool dry air without any obvious intermittent noises or performance detriment. Must be going deaf, or maybe I've got the wrong tyres and it's just too noisy inside the cabin  :o

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »
I'm genuinely puzzled by all this. You guys seem to be able to detect all sorts of things from your A/C: clutches engaging/disengaging, fan speeds changing, odd "crunching" noises, even different throttle responses. I don't detect any of that, I just leave it switched on and it provides cool dry air without any obvious intermittent noises or performance detriment. Must be going deaf, or maybe I've got the wrong tyres and it's just too noisy inside the cabin  :o

it prob because i turn it on on whilst still parked and not on the move i can hear it louder

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 10:01:33 AM »
if i leave the car for a few days i sometimes get a noise like you crunched your gearbox on first start of the compressor

No, my clutch makes only a sort of TAC, noisier when engaging and softer when disengaging.
For me it's easy to detect it: second or third gear, half or 2/3 of gas pressed, slight uphill, I can clearly feel the compressor engaging because the car gains speed in more time.
Also if I'm in a queue, first gear, engine at 1500rpm, I can clealry feel the little brake when the clutck engages. It was the same with the Renault but the Clio showed once this behaviour, when I pressed the A/C button: then the compressor went on self-regulating the power, very very softly depending from the heat drag on the cabin. The Jazz instead goes on with its on/off cycles.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:05:06 AM by jazzaro »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 10:47:14 AM »

No, my clutch makes only a sort of TAC, noisier when engaging and softer when disengaging.

hmm very strange, as its just on the first start and then the second engage is perfectly normal and the crunch noise is not every time i start it after a week, i might start switching the a/c off a mile or so before i park the car instead of switching it off just before i switch the engine off and making sure it has finished its cycle before switching it off

Tags: