Author Topic: A tyre warning!  (Read 17265 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
A tyre warning!
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
So I just had a call from the garage servicing my car and they reckon the front tyre treads are getting a bit low. Down to 4mm. That's after about 8,000 miles  :o. The Honda Jazz does have a reputation for wearing the fronts a bit quick but 8k is terrible. And no, I'm no Speedy Gonzales. Quite the opposite really. I normally get over two years out of a set of front tyres.

To be honest I'm a bit remiss in not checking the treads but I just wouldn't expect to get less than a year out of a pair.

Maybe Honda are fitting particularly naff Dunlops these days? Usually it's just the grip that's poor but maybe this year it's grip and longevity. Anyway this is a warning to anyone else with a new Jazz. If like me you've been remiss check your tread depth.

Be careful out there  ;)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: A tyre warning!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
Wow, that's awful :o

Is the wear uniform, or at one edge indicating tracking wrong? More understandable if that is the case.

I have Michelin Energy Savers on my new last June Mk3.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
Wow, that's awful :o

Is the wear uniform, or at one edge indicating tracking wrong? More understandable if that is the case.

I have Michelin Energy Savers on my new last June Mk3.
Apparently (I've not seen it yet) both tyres are symmetrical and the wear is slightly worse on the outer edges (3.5mm v 4mm down the middle). Of course that's still above legal but it's worse than I would expect. I usually change them at the end of summer when they get to around 3mm so that I go into winter with maximum depth.

If it was mostly the outer edge of the nearside tyre I could blame it on roundabouts and maybe going round bends (I don't speed round them but I know what my car can do and if conditions and visibility allow that's what I drive at).

From looking online the Dunlop SP2030 does broadly get good reviews but some of them do call out poor wear. It sounds like I have a couple of months to decide but I'm not going to get through Summer on them  :'(

Looking at general tyre prices they are around £90 a tyre with some at £70 (hmmmm) and others at £120 (hmmm?). What's odd is that there doesn't seem to be much choice. I know my last pre-reg Jazz had silly half profile tyres on it but what's so special about 185/55/R16?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:25:05 AM by andruec »

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
Interestingly I've now found several reviews/comments from other Jazz owners saying they had to change theirs around the 8000/9000 mile point. So it seems like another 'feature'. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Michelins as well. I've tried energy savers before but found the grip lacking but the current crop from Michelin are being reviewed as having some of the best grip in wet and dry as well as being efficient and long wearing.

Sounds too good to be true and makes me suspicious :)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »
Don't forget that the front brakes can work individually to assist turn in and feel during cornering, this might be a reason on for the tyre wear.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:05:05 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
Interestingly I've now found several reviews/comments from other Jazz owners saying they had to change theirs around the 8000/9000 mile point. So it seems like another 'feature'. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Michelins as well. I've tried energy savers before but found the grip lacking but the current crop from Michelin are being reviewed as having some of the best grip in wet and dry as well as being efficient and long wearing.

Sounds too good to be true and makes me suspicious :)

Silica compounds (made from rice husks LOL) have revolutionised tyres,  this article is very interesting - what it is saying is that you can have your cake and eat it now with tyres,  low rolling resistance, good grip and good mileage.

http://www.tirereview.com/silica-siping/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:23:31 PM »
At first service my Mk 3 (Michelin ES tyres) had 5461 miles on the clock and the service report said 6.8 & 6.9 mm on the front tyres and 6.8 & 6.7 mm onthe rear tyres. 4mm after 8,000 miles suggests that the tyres are unfit for purpose.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
I replaced my front Dunlop 2030s on my Mk2 Jazz last November at 15,000 miles - they were down to 3mm so 8,000 does seem excessive. Saying that, I don't know for sure if they were the originals as I bought the car at 12,000 miles.

But they do seem to wear. I had the rears (also Dunlop 2030s) moved to the front and I actually don't think there's that much wear left in them. They are at about 5mm.

I think the Dunlops are a bit soft.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
My front Michelin ES are at 6.5 mm at 8,500 miles. Looks pretty even inner to outer.

I have always had good experience with Michelins, but two years ago I fancied a change and chose Dunlop Rapid Response for my Mk2. Mainly because they had A rating for noise and wet grip.

I have never actually been able to put my hand on heart and say I have noticed any difference in grip or noise between tyre brands. I don't drive on the limit where grip difference might be noticed, and noise is so subjective.

The one characteristic I definitely do notice is ride and "thumpiness". These Dunlops made my Mk2 noticeably worse. I realised afterwards that the noise rating is about environmental road noise generated by the treads, nothing to do with internal "thumpiness". I also realised too late that "Rapid Response" is achieved by stiffer sidewalls. Lesson learned.

The other time I noticed a big change was when I replaced four assorted budget tyres on my wife's Mk 1 with Continental Premium Contacts. This made a big improvement to the ride and thumpiness.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
At first service my Mk 3 (Michelin ES tyres) had 5461 miles on the clock and the service report said 6.8 & 6.9 mm on the front tyres and 6.8 & 6.7 mm on the rear tyres. 4mm after 8,000 miles suggests that the tyres are unfit for purpose.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/Energy-Saver.htm

Depth of tread when new is 9.5/32" = about 7.5mm

1mm = 0.039" 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:00:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
Like John Ratsey, my Michelins seem to be performing the same. After two services and about 10000 miles, the Michelins are down to about 6mm all round. I am blessed if I can find the exact figures but I do know it has worked out at approximately 1mm per 5000 miles. This has more than repaid the outlay. As to grip they are quite brilliant The classification is C A 68 That is Fuel efficiency C Wet Grip A and noise class 68 dB. I believe that Michelin have even improved on that in the past 2 yrs.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
12 months and 10,000 miles on Michelin ES and the tread remaining seems to be about 6 mm.  I'm hoping for at least 25,000 on the front, which is what I used to get from Dunlops on the Mk2.  The Mk3 SE has slightly wider treads than my MK 2 ES (185 v 175).

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
Okay so it's actually 8,900 miles driven but still very poor. It's possible the dealer is just being cheeky with their measuring as well (wouldn't surprise me) but I'm not checking that out now. I've just driven around Kidlington in rush hour so all I want to do is eat my pizza and watch TV. >:(

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
I am on 6100 miles, 7mm front, 8mm rear.

andruec

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
Checked my tyres myself now, dealer wasn't being cheeky. It's 3.5/4 at the front and 5/4.5 at the back.

Looks like in a couple of months I'll need to buy two new shoes and put them on the back. If I do that I ought to be able to replace the whole set by end of Summer. From what I'm reading the fitted tyres are pretty good performers but it seems the good grip is achieved through a softer compound. Higher than normal wear seems to be expected.

Tags:

anything