Author Topic: Paint Flaking  (Read 8122 times)

mattl369

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 EX CVT
Paint Flaking
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
Evening All.

Has anyone had problems with the paint flaking/peeling off on their Jazz. I've got a 63 reg in alabaster silver and the paint has started to flake on the inside of the windscreen pillars. For some reason its on the same area on both sides. I have no idea what could have caused it - there's nothing that rubs there I can see. The car is generally well looked after (though it looks a little dirty in the pictures!)

If so, how have Honda reacted to this? Any luck getting them to repair it free under the anti corrosion warranty or some other method.

Thanks

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Paint Flaking
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »
I have made a claim for paint blistering on an alloy wheel, despite the mileage being 100k, the dealer said it was out of warranty. I disputed that the paintwork should not be subject to mileage. Anyway Honda UK replaced the wheel as a "goodwill gesture" as I had had the car serviced regularly at Honda.

So I would suggest taking the car to your local dealer initially and let them have a look at it, they can then take it up with Honda UK.

jet

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi.  Sorry to hear about your paint problems.  I have exactly the same issue with my Jazz and wondered how you fared with Honda.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
Has anyone had problems with the paint flaking/peeling off on their Jazz. I've got a 63 reg in alabaster silver and the paint has started to flake on the inside of the windscreen pillars. For some reason its on the same area on both sides.

Do you know if it has ever had a new windscreen?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
Not something I've experienced but this looks bad. I'd be wanting to push Honda on this one.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:54:26 AM »
Has anyone had problems with the paint flaking/peeling off on their Jazz. I've got a 63 reg in alabaster silver and the paint has started to flake on the inside of the windscreen pillars. For some reason its on the same area on both sides.

Do you know if it has ever had a new windscreen?

That is a relevant question. Also you should have a look under the rubber moulding, because it looks like the problem started from there.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
Clear coat blistering near on roof tailgate, about the size of a large coin.    Dealer brushed it off as wear and tear
If music be the food of love, play on

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:32:56 PM »
What year models do you guys have?
I have seen it plenty on the MkI Jazz, just about every one with metallic paint gets it eventually
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Hazatree

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz SI
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »
Evening all,
                    Just thought I would add my car as having the same problem with the paint just flaking off on the inside of the A post next to the glass on both sides on a 2014 Jazz SI. If you start to look closer you can see the paint is not right all along this area on both sides
It's as though the top coat has not properly adhered to undercoat and I am sure if you were to run your nail along it it would all just flake off.
Bought the car from new only done about 10,000 miles and full Honda service history. Going to see if Honda will accept responsibility for defective workmanship and repair it. Which ever way you look at it the paint is definitely faulty and should never leave the factory in that state and should not just flake off whatever the age.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:45:12 PM by Hazatree »

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 08:45:16 PM »
That’s annoying, haven't noticed any paint flaking, a couple of the diamond cut alloys have bubbled and flaked on my MK2 si, I just went over them with a bit of touch up paint. Don’t know why Honda cheaped out on the quality of their paintwork.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:28:42 AM by swhull »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 09:27:29 PM »
Old thread, but news to me and good info. Will check the A posts on my 2013 car tomorrow.

If my posts look like the ones the OP has photos, I think I would rub those down, prime and paint as an isolated area. It's out of sight and my poor painting skills wouldn't stand out there!

Harley Dave

• Jazz newcomer
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 EX-L CVT 1.4 with 16,000 miles in Alabaster Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 12:12:49 AM »
Today, after reading this, I checked my "new to me" 2013 EX-L, which was just delivered on Wednesday.

Lo and behold - drivers side, A pillar, paint is flaking in the same place - Oh! and it's Alabaster Silver with very low mileage (less than 16K)

I already bought some touch up paint, so I'll just give that a go and see how it looks.

Cheers

Dave

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 07:38:36 AM »
I was giving my Jazz it's monthly valet yesterday. A post paint is in good order. Thanks to this thread making me aware of the potential problem area, I have given it a liberal coating of wax to help protect it.

Elsiek

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »
Evening all,
                    Just thought I would add my car as having the same problem with the paint just flaking off on the inside of the A post next to the glass on both sides on a 2014 Jazz SI. If you start to look closer you can see the paint is not right all along this area on both sides
It's as though the top coat has not properly adhered to undercoat and I am sure if you were to run your nail along it it would all just flake off.
Bought the car from new only done about 10,000 miles and full Honda service history. Going to see if Honda will accept responsibility for defective workmanship and repair it. Which ever way you look at it the paint is definitely faulty and should never leave the factory in that state and should not just flake off whatever the age.

Hazatree, I am having exactly the same issue. Were you able to raise this with Honda? I wondered what the outcome was.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 08:59:17 PM »
Evening all,

Hazatree, I am having exactly the same issue. Were you able to raise this with Honda? I wondered what the outcome was.

Same on my wifes MK2 Si
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything