Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 695931 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #1350 on: January 10, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
That is First Glasgow introduced its first two all electric buses on commercial routes.

Glasgow used electric trolley buses up until 1967.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1351 on: January 10, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
Glasgow used electric trolley buses up until 1967.

Look almost identical to the later Rotherham Corporation trolleybuses, although they also had a lot of single deckers with enormous pantographs.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #1352 on: January 11, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1353 on: January 19, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
Watched a superb Fully Charged video this morning. It is the first in a series about choosing, driving and living with an Electric car. My wife watched it and found it very informative. I started getting the "Can we get one?" questions.
It is a bit sexist, as it is a woman presenter choosing the car (and despite being a BAFTA presenter she has an annoying habit of looking at the main camera), but well worth a look.
It is the first in a series of six but unfortunately we will have to wait until the second in the series is uploaded.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #1354 on: January 19, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »
My desire to own an EV just won't go away. One thing that drives me mad is that I could easily manage with a car with a range of 50 to 60 miles apart from these odd trips. I'm basing my entire motoring life on the fact that a few times a year I might have to do 100 miles. My mate, who has a 2014 Leaf, went down to South Wales last year and he just hired an ICE car for a week.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1355 on: January 19, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
BEV make a good second car,  but at a price that is more than most peoples first car costs - let early adopters take the pain and low residuals and for the market to sort itself out and come up with sensible offerings at a reasonable price. Better still wait for the 'battery revolution' that has been just around the corner for many years,  and have a battery weighing 50Kg with a range of 500 miles....

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 09:01:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1356 on: January 19, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »
let early adopters take the pain and low residuals
That's the problem with used BEVs, they hold their prices better than ICE cars so are not a great used car prospect.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1357 on: January 20, 2020, 10:31:12 AM »
On the price of used EVs what Jocko says is generally true although the first generation Leafs have edged down a bit since the new 40 kwh battery came out. The 30 kwh battery version remained stubbornly high in the used market but it is possible to get a decent one for about £13,000 now - still pretty high.

I did see a 24 kwh Leaf for £5,000 a few weeks ago on Autotrader. It was high mileage and had lost 2 capacity bars which equates to about a 21% reduction in range. Ideal second car.

The last journey I did that required a decent range was our holiday in Scotland in September last year. Discounting that because I'd happily hire an ICE car for a UK holiday, my last trip that was outside the range of a 24kwh or 30 kwh Leaf was a trip to Abergele in North Wales last August.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1358 on: January 20, 2020, 12:48:07 PM »
I've watched a few Leafs go through on Copart recently with minimal damage. That's where my next car will be coming from, so long as I can plan ahead and not end up with another 'distress purchase'.  ::)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1359 on: January 23, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
Tesla has displaced Volkswagen as the world's second most valuable carmaker, after a dramatic rise in share price pushed its market value to more than $100bn (£76.1bn). It is now only behind Toyota in value.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51214824

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1360 on: January 23, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/02/11/tesla-stock-upgraded-what-you-need-to-know.aspx

Different take on valuation of tsla shares, apparently since 2010 tsla have never paid a dividend, and shares can be valued or downvalued on a whim of one financial institution -  tesla autopilot has been involved in quite a few accidents, so how they can say tesla has a commanding lead in autonomous car tech is beyond me, they refused to use lidar and other companies are closing in on them fast, plus tesla have laid off quite a few workers, which will affect their production and delivery schedules.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1361 on: January 23, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
A link to a piece which is almost a year old.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1362 on: January 23, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
A link to a piece which is almost a year old.

If you scroll down you will see update 22 jan 2020 but may need to be subscriber to see full article

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1363 on: January 23, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »
Right enough. That's the bit that says how well Tesla is doing now.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1364 on: January 27, 2020, 10:46:46 AM »
On EV's looks like my youngest might get an old Nissan Leaf. She's 38 and, although she had driving lessons years ago she never took a test. She has a 6 mile commute to work and everywhere she goes is within 10 miles. We've talked about car swaps on the odd occasion she needs to go further afield so I might get to drive an EV without owning one. She'll obviously only qualify for an automatic only driving licence but there is a driving school near here with a couple of EVs (Zoe's I think).

Tags: