Author Topic: Sat Nav Map Updates  (Read 15120 times)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
Re: Sat Nav Map Updates
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
On the latest Jazz yup :)
Of course it helps to have a decent phone otherwise known as iPhone  :D

I've never had or would consider IOS over Android. Apple is too locked down and expensive for my liking.
I used to be a big android enthusiast and anti Apple, but Android is too unreliable. With Apple things just work. I’ve read on this forum about issues with android auto, and have experienced this previously. Apple CarPlay just works flawlessly. The constant trying to get android to connect to cars and devices is maddening!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
On the latest Jazz yup :)
Of course it helps to have a decent phone otherwise known as iPhone  :D

I've never had or would consider IOS over Android. Apple is too locked down and expensive for my liking.
For phones I would agree with you. For computers the security and stability of Apple iOS can't be beaten and is worth the money.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
For phones I would agree with you. For computers the security and stability of Apple iOS can't be beaten and is worth the money.

Ever used Linux,  the choice of power users ( pretty much every server / data centre in the world runs on Linux ) and the most stable operating system in the universe... ( and it is available free to anyone who wants it ).   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »
Agree, I prefer linux for it's flexibility and security. I only maintain an old XP machine to run certain 32 bit software, and I could run XP in a virtual machine if I didn't want it on a separate laptop.

Of course android is based on a linux kernel, so plenty are using it without realising.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »
Being only user knowledgeable of operating systems I prefer Apple iOS because of the programmes easily available, easily loaded and then just work. Mainly now I'm retired I use Office for word processing, spreadsheet etc. and Photoshop for images plus a bit of video work using Apple software. 
Android phone using MotoG series of phones, relatively inexpensive and plenty of power and memory for my needs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 06:32:51 PM »
I am on my first Android phone. Previously  I had a Samsung that ran on Symbian. I only ever used it as a phone. My wife has had a range of Apple phones for years, but I have never got the hang of them and don't like them.
I find Android much closer to PC in operation.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »
The Mk4 Jazz Garmin map update is now available via the update route using Garmin Express and a suitable USB stick.

2021.10 Map is now available.

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site for update details.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2021, 04:53:01 AM »
On the Civic site, map 2021.1 was posted as available Feb 2020

I wonder if 2021.10 is indeed not 2021.1

I would have expected 2022.1 given Garmin's naming history.
Let's be careful out there !

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »
Civic uses a different map update, 2021 map for Civic and other older Garmin app was released Nov 2020. The Mk4 Jazz has a different version of Garmin navigation App / map (same as Honda e) and the 2021 map has only just been released.

chicksee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, just updated mine, over 2 hours to download and about 30 mins to install, all ok now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:47:02 AM by chicksee »

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »
I've done some research on this and it is possible to update the Garmin maps using Garmin Express, but you need a 16Gb memory stick (must be 16 not more or less). I have to admit I haven't tried this on my car as I hardly ever use the Garmin satnav. Install Garmin Express on a desktop PC (Windows in my case), you can find out how by Googling it. In the car, inset the memory stick before starting up then in Satnav mode go to Settings/Device/Update Map. This then records the spec of your car on the stick, it is removed and you return to Garmin Express on the PC, it reads the stick and downloads the maps required (follow the instructions). If all successful then return to the car and use the "update maps" to refresh the car's memory. Simple really!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2021, 10:03:03 AM »
Basically, it is the same as my stand-alone Garmin, except you use the USB stick, and I use a cable.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »
.... and don't forget that if you have a speedcam subscription that results in a Garmin .GPI file then this needs placing in the USB stick POI folder before updating the map.

If you have any issues like no audio alerts or dots instead of a speed related icon then post back as this is one area I do have some experience.

Update - ignore the above as Steve_M has stated that the Jazz Garmin implementation no longer uses .GPI files.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:05:10 PM by Kremmen »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
.... and don't forget that if you have a speedcam subscription that results in a Garmin .GPI file then this needs placing in the USB stick POI folder before updating the map.

If you have any issues like no audio alerts or dots instead of a speed related icon then post back as this is one area I do have some experience.

This version of Garmin map does not seem to use GPI files in the POI folder like previous versions. There are country/region specific NFS files with an associated CHK file.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
Oh, that puts on screen cameras out of reach then.

Have you managed anything as I know you had them running on the Civic ?

Tags: