Author Topic: Sat Nav Map Updates  (Read 15303 times)

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
Re: Sat Nav Map Updates
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »
Anyone got a recommendation for a 16gb usb that definitely works? There's a lot of duds out there!

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
Anything from a reputable retailer. Pop to Wilko.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2021, 06:48:05 PM »
My usual source is mymemory.co.uk . Their own brand stuff is excellent value.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2021, 04:10:48 AM »
I was going to post MyMemory as well. I think there is a MrMemory as well that has good reviews.

Just don't use the Amazon marketplace or Ebay, they are awash with fakes.

I get my dashcam SDCards from Scan as they do the Samsung Evo Plus U3 cards that have never given me any issues in my  Viofo quad HD 2560x1440@60fps.
Let's be careful out there !

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »
Latest update is buggy and breaks the address search function, leading to random crashes and so forth.

https://www.hondaeforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=816

Waiting for the update fixing the update.  ;D

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
The update fixing the previous update is out.

All is well now.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »
I still don’t know why manufacturers bother with embedded nav anymore, it’ll always be substandard compared to Waze/Google Maps through CarPlay.

Bazzzer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2021, 08:38:04 AM »
I still don’t know why manufacturers bother with embedded nav anymore, it’ll always be substandard compared to Waze/Google Maps through CarPlay.

Personally, I've never felt the need to have a smart phone but some folk seem unable to exist without one.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »

Personally, I've never felt the need to have a smart phone but some folk seem unable to exist without one.

Funny how some people will damn a vehicle because of the way it talks to their smartphone... For me there are too many distractions in cars already for the safety of other road users.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »

Of course you can live without a Smartphone but life is getting more difficult without one. From mapping Apps to Health Apps and Covid tracing and passports Smartphones are just a fact of life. Why make life more difficult than it is anyway by not having one?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2021, 11:10:49 AM »

Of course you can live without a Smartphone but life is getting more difficult without one. From mapping Apps to Health Apps and Covid tracing and passports Smartphones are just a fact of life. Why make life more difficult than it is anyway by not having one?

As well as other studies the people who design, manufacture and sell smart phones ad apps in Silicon valley don't let their kids have a lot of access to phones and tablets - that should tell you a lot.  Apps are carefully designed to be addictive,  the colours, shapes, sounds and 'rewards' carefully selected to encourage maximum use.  If you find you are using the phone to often and feel compelled to 'keep checking' or using it for too many things they are real danger signs.  Phones are also a massive, massive risk to privacy - people who complain about CCTV need to take a good hard look at their phone,  it can be used to track you, the data is easily stolen and chances are that GCHQ is checking you calls and texts,  as well as where you are.  Security services keep track of terrorists by using phone data,  many of the terrs nuked by US and Israeli drones were probably using their mobile or had it switched on when the Hellfire missile took them out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-valley-parents-are-raising-their-kids-tech-free/

https://appmasters.com/8-secrets-designing-addictive-app/

https://lighthouse.mq.edu.au/article/august-2019/smartphones-are-making-us-stupid-and-may-be-a-gateway-drug
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:31:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
It stays in my pocket in the car and gives me better sat nav than Honda :)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2021, 01:40:32 PM »

As well as other studies the people who design, manufacture and sell smart phones ad apps in Silicon valley don't let their kids have a lot of access to phones and tablets - that should tell you a lot.  Apps are carefully designed to be addictive,  the colours, shapes, sounds and 'rewards' carefully selected to encourage maximum use.  If you find you are using the phone to often and feel compelled to 'keep checking' or using it for too many things they are real danger signs.  Phones are also a massive, massive risk to privacy - people who complain about CCTV need to take a good hard look at their phone,  it can be used to track you, the data is easily stolen and chances are that GCHQ is checking you calls and texts,  as well as where you are.  Security services keep track of terrorists by using phone data,  many of the terrs nuked by US and Israeli drones were probably using their mobile or had it switched on when the Hellfire missile took them out.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-valley-parents-are-raising-their-kids-tech-free/

https://appmasters.com/8-secrets-designing-addictive-app/

https://lighthouse.mq.edu.au/article/august-2019/smartphones-are-making-us-stupid-and-may-be-a-gateway-drug
Like everything else in life you have to use common sense. Mind you common sense is less and less common!
My Smartphone is just a tool I use and makes life smoother. Nothing more, nothing less!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 05:18:14 PM »
What Culzean says about the tech people in Silicon valley is spot on. There is even a school where lots of tech entrepreneurs send their kids and no IT is used in the classroom and smartphones are banned.

Read an article about this a few years ago. The argument was that kids pick up all they need to know about IT in the home - using it at school is unnecessary and damaging to critical thinking.

Controversial but I can see their point.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »
I tried to update my Crosstar's satnav today. Garmin Express, however, is adamant that 2020.10 is the latest version so there's nothing to update.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything