Author Topic: Sat Nav Map Updates  (Read 15249 times)

Lurch

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Mk4 Jazz EX Hybrid
Sat Nav Map Updates
« on: January 19, 2021, 11:59:29 PM »
Hi All,  Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else before.  Just took delivery of my new Honda Jazz Hybrid EX and have been through the process of setting up a USB stick to update the SatNav maps.  Question is does anyone know how often the maps for Honda SatNavs are updated by Garmin?  Current version according to Garmin Express is 2020.10.  My portable Garmin SatNav is currently on 2021.10.  This suggests the Honda maps are at least a year behind the maps provided to stand alone Garmin devices. 

There have been a number of new road layouts in my area which my stand alone Garmin has picked up on but not the built in Honda Satnav

Cheers  :)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Sat Nav Map Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 05:45:07 AM »
AFAIK they are only updated yearly.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
Hi All,  Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else before.  Just took delivery of my new Honda Jazz Hybrid EX and have been through the process of setting up a USB stick to update the SatNav maps.  Question is does anyone know how often the maps for Honda SatNavs are updated by Garmin?  Current version according to Garmin Express is 2020.10.  My portable Garmin SatNav is currently on 2021.10.  This suggests the Honda maps are at least a year behind the maps provided to stand alone Garmin devices. 

There have been a number of new road layouts in my area which my stand alone Garmin has picked up on but not the built in Honda Satnav

The problem with built in satnavs has always been expensive and infrequent updates, with a stand alone one you can move it from car to car and they normally come with free lifetime updates.  Stand alone units also can be used outside the car where phone coverage is poor.

My brother in law has a volvo with built in satnav that he has never updated, but he still blames it when it takes him the wrong way,  roads are changing all the time - and the other important thing is speed limits change all the time,  as do camera locations.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:38:20 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
The problem with built in satnavs has always been expensive and infrequent updates, with a stand alone one you can move it from car to car and they normally come with free lifetime updates.  Stand alone units also can be used outside the car where phone coverage is poor.

Even stand alone units have their problems, there were a lot of unhappy TomTom users when they decided to stop issuing map updates for 'older' series units several years ago. Some of these 'older' units were only 2-3 years old at the time.

Many people are switching to apps like Sygic on a phone. As I've said before a cheap or hand-me-down android phone, a phone mount and a car charger makes a great satnav.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 09:29:38 AM »
You can’t beat Apple maps on CarPlay. It just works seamlessly and is always accurate and up to date. No need for anything else.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
The beauty of things like Sygic (and one or two other similar apps) is that maps are stored on the phone, and no data is required once you have it set up. You don't even need a phone SIM in.

Additionally, even without a SIM, you can still phone emergency services if you were in a real pickle.

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
The Garmin doesn't have traffic info and there haven't been any updates.  The mk3 used to get updates 2 or 3 times a year. I assume honda think everyone will use their phone.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »
I thought the built in Garmin based SatNav had TMC RDS, same as my Honda Alpine system.

Not a patch on Garmins digital traffic, but, sadly Garmin are stopping their digital traffic in the UK in June.

They are to push their SmartLink version, via your phone, that comes from viaMichelin instead of Inrix and in my experience is not as good.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
The Garmin doesn't have traffic info and there haven't been any updates.  The mk3 used to get updates 2 or 3 times a year. I assume honda think everyone will use their phone.

It's a very poor do if you've paid extra for a car with it fitted and updates aren't forthcoming. It's even worse than the TomTom debacle, you can't exactly throw it in the bin and replace it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »
My Garmin uses Smartlink and apart from occasionally not talking to the phone (don't know which is at fault), it works well.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
  The mk3 used to get updates 2 or 3 times a year.
No, once a year.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »
My Garmin uses Smartlink and apart from occasionally not talking to the phone (don't know which is at fault), it works well.

I've mainly used the Inrix data via the Garmin TA aerial cable. There was an outage a year or so ago so I temporarily switched to Smartlink. What I found was that I was being informed about roadworks that had long since gone, some as much as 6 months ago.

What was the main knock on problem though, especially down here near London, was that these live and obsolete roadworks were so numerous that they filled the Garmin data limit of 200. What that meant was that I wasn't receiving the normal traffic that produces the yellow and red sections.

It may have increased since but down here it was a real problem.

The count is found in Apps > Traffic > Incidents

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:29:07 PM by Kremmen »

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

New Jazz e:HEV with Garmin navigation comes with 5 years free map updates the same as previous models.  This is a once per year update via USB download via Garmin Express.

2021 map for Jazz is expected to be released at the end of Jan 2021

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »
Can I just ask something? Not trying to be funny. Why wouldn’t you just connect your phone up to either Apple CarPlay or android auto, and use the google maps or Apple maps or Waze for example. Surely this is the cheapest, simplest, most reliable option?  I thought the days of dedicated sat navs and in built options were long gone.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 02:06:25 PM »
Can I just ask something? Not trying to be funny. Why wouldn’t you just connect your phone up to either Apple CarPlay or android auto, and use the google maps or Apple maps or Waze for example. Surely this is the cheapest, simplest, most reliable option?  I thought the days of dedicated sat navs and in built options were long gone.

No, it's perfectly sensible.

Of course, there will be a few people who like the the simplicity and neatness of having it all built in, and dare I say, there's probably a few owners on here that think all this talk of apps is something to do with architecture.

Tags: