Author Topic: vibration on tickover  (Read 3002 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
vibration on tickover
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
Hi Guys i have a Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT when it is on tick over at stand still the engine has vibration,you can here it inside carthe most when i lifted bonnet it sound like at the top of engine the rev counter is at 750rpm.As any one got any ideas it is a 2003 model done 51,000 miles dave 

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: vibration on tickover
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »
My first check would be to ensure that all 4 cylinders are firing? It quite possible that a cylinder could misfire at tickover, but is OK when revved.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
Being a 2003 it will be an i-DSI which has 8 spark plugs. Chances are the rear set of 4 have never been changed in ages. Many mechanics have no idea that they are there.

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:26:59 PM »
Hi Jacko i have changed all 8 plugs about 1 month ago and all filters and oil it runs ok its just on tick over,

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
Hi Jacko i have changed all 8 plugs about 1 month ago and all filters and oil it runs ok its just on tick over,

Auto-correct changes Jocko to Jacko on my PC as well.........

You have already done the most obvious thing and replaced all 8 plugs,  was this tickover thing happening before you changed the plugs or did it start after.

The first thing I would do is to tip a full bottle of redex injector cleaner in your next tank of petrol,  it may just be partly blocked / gummed up injectors.   If that does not cure it you may have to give EGR Valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve) a bit of attention,   plenty of info on here about it - normally causes more problems than you have but maybe it is only a little bit stuck (it is like having a leak in the inlet tract if it is stuck open at low revs).

Could also be a coil going bad, especially if rear plug gaps have been allowed to get too big in the past and stress the coil insulation - I would suspect rear coils as they run under hotter conditions than the front ones and rear plugs are normally neglected, this forces coils to provide higher and higher voltage than they should to jump the larger plug gap, this can degrade the coil insulation.  Check they are all properly plugged in first and then unplug them one at a time (at the dual pin12 volt connector plug on top) and see if vibration gets worse,  if it does plug that one back in and see which one does not affect vibration when you unplug it - that will be the one that is not working properly.

A car that has only had little use (50 K in 15 years) may need a good 'shock and awe' dose of redex and a good 'italian tuneup' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:56:59 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Izzy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE Jazz
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:54:26 AM »
Could it be something as simple as an exhaust heat shield loose or one of the covers just sayin

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
Could it be something as simple as an exhaust heat shield loose or one of the covers just sayin

That may cause a noise,  but IMHO would not make engine run unevenly at tick-over.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »
sometime the vibration is intermittent i was on motorway on monday doing 70mph went of motorway stopped at lights was ok went back home 3miles put in park to open garage it started to vibrate again on tick over. 

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
Hi i have tried taking the plugs of the coil packs took 2off front bank and 2 off back bank and the engine was still the same so does the coils all work at tickover or only 4 at tickover

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 09:51:26 AM »
Hi i have tried taking the plugs of the coil packs took 2off front bank and 2 off back bank and the engine was still the same so does the coils all work at tickover or only 4 at tickover

all the plugs work all the time but the ECU does alter the timing of the sparks between front and rear bank of plugs depending on load and engine speed..

you need to unplug all coil packs in turn not just 2 plugs,  start with rear and remove and replace all 4 coil pack plugs in turn so that at any one time 1 plug is not working,  if vibration gets worse you have unplugged a 'good' plug,  if no change in vibration you have found a 'bad' plug or coil pack (if you have already changed plugs it must be coil pack or its wiring that are faulty).  The rear coil packs are more suspect than fronts because they run hotter (nearer to exhaust manifold) and the rear plugs are often not changed and when the gap gets bigger the coil has to produce more voltage for the spark to jump the gap, this can stress the coil insulation and cause it to fail.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:59:24 AM by culzean »

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
Hi Culzean i have tried the back bank coils the first coil near the oil filer did not make any difference the other 3 made  a slight hesitation trid the front bank i think the front 4 are ok i was not sure about the first 1 on front bank dave 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8947.msg46924#msg46924

If a coil pack made no difference to problem when unplugged I would suggest it may well be faulty.  You can get coils off fleabay or breakers yard,  search on forums and you may get a link to seller as other people on here have replaced coil packs.

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
hi culcean  there is a dismantler selling a full set of coils for£50 hitachi ones but they are for a 2006 1.3 jazz do you think they would fit mine as mine is 2003 or are 2006 diffrent size coils

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »
hi culcean  there is a dismantler selling a full set of coils for£50 hitachi ones but they are for a 2006 1.3 jazz do you think they would fit mine as mine is 2003 or are 2006 diffrent size coils

I would be very surprised if Honda changed the coil pack type during a model run, they may have changed supplier but they would have to be backwardly compatible as the length, fitting points, electrical plug fitting and everything else would need to be identical. The front and rear coil packs are different dimensionally and mounting points, but that is all.  £50 is a good price, you could probably sell the ones you don't use at a profit, and Hitachi is a good brand.

This seller says coils he sells cover 2001 to 2008 model of I-Dsi twin spark engines.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-01-08-1-3-IGNITION-COIL-PENCIL-CM11-109/152693113922
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:00:03 PM by culzean »

Tags: