Author Topic: Random Radio fault  (Read 9027 times)

guest6582

Random Radio fault
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Hi everyone,
Today I was driving my Jazz and all of a sudden the radio started to fade to silence and then repeatedly try to phase back into the station I was listening to, this happened for roughly 5 minutes until the radio went silent. I then drove to a car park and the radio station came back just before I switched the engine off. I left my car for an hour and when I came back to drive home the radio was silent.
I normally use an FM transmitter to play music from my phone as my model does not have an AUX input but when I went to change to the preset channel for the transmitter, none of the buttons appeared to function. I tried all the buttons and the only functions available were the volume controls, bass/treble/fade/balance controls and the RDS display. The display works fully and presents the clock and station name and also the cd player works when a CD is inserted but when a CD is removed the fm/am channels does not work. I have tried pulling the fuse and reinserting it and also disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery and reattaching it but to no avail.

Is anyone able to help?
My vehicle is a 2005 GD5 Honda Jazz S

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Random Radio fault
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
Might be worth temporarily unplugging your rear speaker to line level converter and amp in case that is doing something strange to the amp within the head unit.  Also ground loops can cause sound issues so worth ensuring that your sub, amp and level converter are all grounded to the same point as the radio.  A poor aerial connection would give you static so that should be OK and the CD working is good that the unit is not dead.

The wiring in the car is quite thin and doesn't tend to have much spare current carrying capacity, it is possible that your sub/amp installation is starving the headunit of power in some way and causing a voltage drop if you have tapped the amp power from the head unit connection directly.
--
TG

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
This is the dreaded problem for A LOT of Jazzes (Including mine )
It's a £4 part you need to swap in your stereo (includes soldering the old part out and soldering new one in ) to fix it, Or get a new whole stereo unit!
I don't remember the name of the part ( it was some kind of voltage regulator if I remember correctly) but search around, but it's a VERY common problem which deems the whole unit just unusable.

The biggest hassle was to get the stereo out, I haven't changed it for mine as currently that car is sitting in a garage unused until summer but that should fix it.

guest6582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:52:27 PM »
Thank you both for the response.
Might be worth temporarily unplugging your rear speaker to line level converter and amp in case that is doing something strange to the amp within the head unit.  Also ground loops can cause sound issues so worth ensuring that your sub, amp and level converter are all grounded to the same point as the radio.  A poor aerial connection would give you static so that should be OK and the CD working is good that the unit is not dead.

TG I have tried disconnecting all wiring for the subwoofer and disconnecting the RCA's from the LOC so that it has no draw or pathway to follow. Nothing worked from doing this so I don't believe it has been caused by the subwoofer.

This is the dreaded problem for A LOT of Jazzes (Including mine )
It's a £4 part you need to swap in your stereo (includes soldering the old part out and soldering new one in ) to fix it, Or get a new whole stereo unit!
I don't remember the name of the part ( it was some kind of voltage regulator if I remember correctly) but search around, but it's a VERY common problem which deems the whole unit just unusable.

The biggest hassle was to get the stereo out, I haven't changed it for mine as currently that car is sitting in a garage unused until summer but that should fix it.

Zemax, I have done some digging and it does appear to be a common fault within Jazzes! It did happen randomly like most others have found it to occur. I guess I am going to now have to look into purchasing yet another part *sigh*.

guest6436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »
the problem 100% is NOT from subwoofer, it's one of the most common faults with the Jazzes.
people on ebay offer service where you ship your old unit and they fix it and send you back for about £70 !!!! very expensive just to change £1 part

here's the part- just under £2 delivered.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROHM-BA08CC0WFP-E2-LDO-FIXED-8V-1A-TO-252-5-08CCOW-TO-252-UK-Stock-/182409060319?hash=item2a786d5fdf:g:stEAAOSw2xRYa6YB

you can find tutorials with pictures online on how to change it - 99% of the time changing it will fix the problem from my research.
luckily I have had that car for 6 years, and that's the only thing what's gone wrong with it, except few consumables/lightbulbs.

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
Mine did this intermittently for a couple of weeks then died for ever

I looked at repairing it but just fitted a android headunit in the end as it looked to much of a faff to to the old ones pcbs out. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Goran77

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1.4 LS
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:32:24 PM »
You can find the solution here: https://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=211168, haven't tested on my 2003 Jazz yet, but I will test it for sure. It is obviously a common problem/solution for all first generation Hondas.

Update from 15.05.2018.

I changed that voltage regulator as described in the above link and now my radio is back in business, works perfectly. ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:19:42 PM by Goran77 »

owen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Blue 2002
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
This happened to my Jazz which had a cassette / radio unit so I replaced it with a cd player unit off eBay.  The swap was pretty easy, the hardest part was swapping over the ventilation controls and associated cabling.  Much happier now work not only a working radio but an in-dash cd player too!

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
I must have mucked up the solder, only 3 legs seemed to be in use and radio still doesn't work.

Tags:

anything