Author Topic: CVT? The good and bad points please.  (Read 2098 times)

vincereynard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Milano Red 1.4 DSi SE
CVT? The good and bad points please.
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:47:06 PM »
I'm still looking for a 2019 Mk3 and have narrowed down the ideal to a SE Navi.

An EX has additional toys I don't need and bigger wheels that (probably?) worsen and already marginal ride quality.
The Mk 3 may be far better than a Mk1 but that is  not saying much!  On my 2006 Mk1 I actually went underneath after a couple of days to check it actually did have springs!  :)  Its other main failings were poor throttle response and directional instability.

CVT - As in entering a busy roundabout and there is a big truck coming and it really would ne apppreciated if the thing would get a bit of a move on!   I tried a Mk1 CVT was a horrible, grindey thing. Not much effect but lots of nasty noises.   

Up to now I've discounted Mk3 CVT on the grounds of -
An unknown.  Many other Japanese car makers use the same bespoke CVT that has a poor reputation.
I believe Honda make their own?

To make some assumptions.
The vast majority of the time, with general pootling about, it works fine.
Doing 50ish and attempting to merge into a motorway, open the  throttle firmly and the revs shoot up but not a great deal else?   Good at cruising with lower revs than a manual? 
This about right? 

I believe a CVT has no torque convertor so the ploy of holding on the brakes and building up the revs is a non starter?

I don't really see why a Jazz is so low geared anyway.  Mrs replaced her MK1 with a Hyundai I10 and it was a virtual pocket rocket compared to th Jazz.  Yet 25mph per 1000 in 5th. 70 at less that 3000 revs.

If this sound a bit negative its not intended. Honda so nearly had a perfect small car in the MK1 .
It needed a decent engine - which should have been easy.
Spend a few quid and send it to LOTUS to sort the chassis (or simple copy a Fiesta!)  I've just moved on a'72 Lotus ELan +2.  50 years old and it makes most modern cars handling / ride seem rubbish!  If you think an Audi is bad try a BMW on run flat tyres!
Make the bad seat slide so for the majority of time, if you carry no rear passengers, you can have acavenous boot. 
 Easy!     

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: CVT? The good and bad points please.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
The CVT has a torque converter from early 2011 onwards. Honda petrol engines thrive on revs so don't be afraid to open the throttle and also make full use of the 'S' position on the gearbox selector this makes a surprising difference especially in your example of entering a roundabout.

Vic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »
I have a 2012 CVT.
100% reliable.
Superb in town.

I like revving to 5k every so often.(With or without CVT)

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »
The CVT has a torque converter from early 2011 onwards. Honda petrol engines thrive on revs so don't be afraid to open the throttle and also make full use of the 'S' position on the gearbox selector this makes a surprising difference especially in your example of entering a roundabout.

Vic.

+1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »
I have both mk1 and mk3 (2004 and 2016) both cvt. To be honest from my point of view (not a pro!) I am finding the older one more reaponsive to gas pedal. The newer one when it’s in D I really need to press the pedal hard to get acceleration. It is better in S and you can always press it down to the „second floor”. My husband is the main driver of the 2016 one and he can always achieve what he wants - merging, dynamic driving, overtaking - unless up the hill but that’s to do with the small engine, of course. That said CVT has no limits even if you don’t like the way it responds to gas pedal alone you can always use paddle shifts (7 speed) and if you put it in S it enters fully manual mode and you are in full control. As for quality of gearbox alone - the car has now driven 145k miles and had no major issues. My older one is still under 100k miles I can’t say much but again no problems with gearbox and I know the older one has the older / worse version of CVT

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 09:24:19 AM »
I felt the same way as you when I first drove a CVT version but I stuck with it and you learn to adapt to a different way of driving to get the best out of it. I really enjoy driving it in all conditions although its weakest area is 'B' road blasts. It's really at home in the city and impressive on the motorway with a better final drive ratio than the manual. To stop the revs soaring I've found that using Shell V-power makes the CVT hold a lower rev range for longer but YMMV! As said above, don't be afraid to use the higher revs as that's where the engine makes its power and it soon settles back down. I think the problem with CVTs are because you hear the engine working hard you except to feel the acceleration but if you look at the speed it is increasing, it takes a bit of time to train the brain!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
Had Jazz's since 2002 most CVT the best my from March 2011.
Simple to drive esp around town, if you need extra use S mode.
It's easy just find Jazz if your spec for sale ask For a test drive 30 mins should be sufficient.
Then get it if you like the £ & the car.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:57:01 AM by olduser1 »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
I think perhaps the OP is with respect, a bit a keyboard warrior, I'm now on my 6th Jazz, all of them automatics and I certainly don't recognise his assessment of the CVT Jazz.
My first was an EX I-shift which I agree was rubbish and I thought a big mistake.
The next 4 where EX CVT which I thought were excellent, economical & reliable.
The current car is a EX e-HEV which I think is a giant leap forward in all respects, except perhaps with the Honda Sensing gizmos, which in some respects can be a real PITA.
Take off from a standing start is phenomenal, certainly no delay and I guess similar to the OPs Lotus.
Current fuel consumption is a around 70mpg, which for me is a significant saving on the 55mpg I used to get.
So all in all, quite happy with the Honda Jazz.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:58 AM »
I like revving to 5k every so often.
Agreed.  :D Once a car is nicely warmed up, revs do it the world of good.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
I like revving to 5k every so often.
Agreed.  :D Once a car is nicely warmed up, revs do it the world of good.

I used to have a 1967 S3 Lotus Elan coupe with full Sprint conversion ++ so about 135BHP. It would rev and rev and rev..
Sold it as my wife found getting in/out a pia.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 02:05:11 PM »
It's my first Jazz CVT and I love it. Just took a short while learning how to apply the gas and now it's a little dream.

I came from a VW DSG which are much more complicated in design but nevertheless a fantastic gearbox and these too are said to 'hesitate' at junctions when in truth the critics need to learn how to drive them.

Using the paddles adds a whole new dimension making keeping up with the traffic effortless.

When I bought the Jazz I knew it was no racer but it is perfectly suited to UK roads and all those bells and whistles in the EX-Navi make it a lovely car to drive.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 02:18:30 PM »

Vic.

Exactly right. The S mode is also excellent for engine braking going down any steep hill. Indeed the difference, in this situation, is night and day.

I sense an unwillingness to use the S mode amongst many Jazz CVT drivers but it transforms off the line acceleration. I don't use it much but in situations where an extra bit of oomph is needed, it's excellent maintaining the lower gear ratios significantly longer than D mode.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
When I bought the Jazz I knew it was no racer but it is perfectly suited to UK roads...

Oddly, in the USA the Honda Fit has a totally different image than the grannymobile it's seen as in the UK.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
I agree about the attitude some folk seem to have to autos, they expect D to do everything exactly to their liking. It doesn't, that's why the other options are there, S-auto or S-manual. The downshift also works in D when on closed throttle for engine braking if you wish.
Get used to tweaking the controls to suit the circumstances and it works fine IMO. 99% of the time plain D will suffice. Once above 3000rpm the engine will pick up its skirts quite effectively.

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Milano Red 1.4 DSi SE
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »
Many thanks for the interesting replies chaps.

I think perhaps the OP is with respect, a bit a keyboard warrior, I'm now on my 6th Jazz, all of them automatics and I certainly don't recognise his assessment of the CVT Jazz.

I wasn't making an assessment. - just assumptions based on what I've read.  (and the experience of a possible duff Mk1. )  I've never driven a Mk3 CVT to have a valid opinion.  BUT CVT "should" be the way to go so I'm asking for opinions - just that.  :)

I used to have a 1967 S3 Lotus Elan coupe with full Sprint conversion ++ so about 135BHP. It would rev and rev and rev..
Sold it as my wife found getting in/out a pia.

Many consider the S3 the pick of the bunch!  I was offered a Sprint FHC before I bought the +2, it probably would have been a better buy! Still nothing drives like a sorted Elan - but they are a bit lethal, especially in dozy SUV land.

I'll contact these chaps ASAP next week -
https://www.qualitypartxltd.co.uk/used-honda-jazz-stevenage-hertfordshire-3530271

Vince

Tags:

anything