Author Topic: Recent News reference Halogen bulb ban soon  (Read 1207 times)

guest9236

Recent News reference Halogen bulb ban soon
« on: June 11, 2021, 03:20:00 PM »
Am wondering will this affect cars lorries buses  farm machinery tractors,etc will the Old chestnut,Halogen verses LCD headlights rear its ugly Head  again.
Interesting thoughts,I am sure there will be someone with an enlightening observation sooner or later.
The news Item was not very exacting in the consequences ,regarding the motor industry in general.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Recent News reference Halogen bulb ban soon
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 03:44:05 PM »
Seems to be domestic and industrial filament bulbs that are being banned  because of the power used to get same light output as an LED.  Flourescent tubes also getting banned.   While we continue to rely on fans on sticks for our electricity we need to cut consumption to the bone because we never know when the fans are gonna run and stop, they may have to ban electric vehicles for the same reason... :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 04:07:14 PM »
Seems to be domestic and industrial filament bulbs that are being banned  because of the power used to get same light output as an LED.  Flourescent tubes also getting banned.   While we continue to rely on fans on sticks for our electricity we need to cut consumption to the bone because we never know when the fans are gonna run and stop, they may have to ban electric vehicles for the same reason... :o

That might be a good idea as well, then I will be able to travel without watching battery level and wondering where one can recharge up etc.
However as we are not even considering changing to EVs until the last possible moment ,no worries yet!,!!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 09:40:17 PM »
While we continue to rely on fans on sticks for our electricity
;D ;D LOL. Sorry, but that is brilliant. I'm stealing that quote.

Re led bulbs, our house has led in all fittings for several years now. I have no idea if they have paid for themselves, but looking at the eco rating charts was enough to convince me to pop to Screwfix and buy a bunch. Got a shoe box full of old bulbs in the garage to get rid of when I remember. Maybe I'll have a 'lightbulb' moment!  :D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 05:40:44 AM »
I've only recently changed my lounge light bulb from a 150w GLS to a 100w LED, had to change the dimmer switch as well to a LED compatible.

Why the architect only designed in a single light fitting for a 20 foot room with 1 window beats me.
Let's be careful out there !

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 07:55:34 AM »
Our place has been all LED for well over 5 years. There is a very clever socket/support for the bigger light fittings in Japan so they are very easy to change. If you rent an apartment you might well have to provide your own.

No complaints at all and it's great not having to change and dispose of bulbs or fluorescent tubes all the time. I think we must have got our money back by now but I haven't calculated.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
If you rent an apartment you might well have to provide your own.
Really? Is that normal practice?

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 08:57:32 AM »
Yes. It is a normal practice but not universal. Sometimes too a tenant will leave their fitting when they move and the landlord will not remove it so you get a pass. Otherwise, you have to provide your own and plug them in.

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »
While we continue to rely on fans on sticks for our electricity
;D ;D LOL. Sorry, but that is brilliant. I'm stealing that quote.

Re led bulbs, our house has led in all fittings for several years now. I have no idea if they have paid for themselves, but looking at the eco rating charts was enough to convince me to pop to Screwfix and buy a bunch. Got a shoe box full of old bulbs in the garage to get rid of when I remember. Maybe I'll have a 'lightbulb' moment!  :D

You may be in your element ?.. or it could be a flash in the pan Just a thought  Lol.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
I fitted LED lightbulbs in our house and garage as soon as they became available at a reasonable price ( over 10 years ago ).  I started off with the bulbs in living areas that were on for long periods and then moved on to places like hallways, landings, garage and lastly the loft.  The bulbs I fitted all that time ago are still working.  The main reason I changed outside security lights to LED was that they were mounted high up under the eaves facing downwards to prevent light pollution and annoying the neighbours and replacing a bulb was an extension ladder job, not ideal in winter..

You may be in your element ?.. or it could be a flash in the pan Just a thought  Lol.

Maybe had a lightbulb moment ?  I had very little resistance to change to LED. 

The thing about filament bulbs is that the light is softer and  kinder to your eyes,  because LED do flash at high frequency and also emit EMI,  LED also normally contains more blue ( they couldn't make white LED until the Japanese developed a blue LED - there are different colour LEDs inside a white bulb and the balance of blue and red alters the colour temperature of the light).  Blue light gives the body a wake up signal,  which is why people who use their phones, tablets and computers late into the evening often have trouble sleeping.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:53:17 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
... and lastly the loft... 

Damn, I haven't done that one! Also, there's a light in a housing on a sensor by my front door and I can't remember ever replacing that in the 23 years we have lived here. The best replacement was a twin fluorescent strip in the centre of the garage which was swapped for two LED strip lights, one for the general light and one over the workbench at the far end. Instant on full brightness. Super.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »
LED also normally contains more blue ( they couldn't make white LED until the Japanese developed a blue LED - there are different colour LEDs inside a white bulb and the balance of blue and red alters the colour temperature of the light).

Actually, the white is achieved nowadays by a violet LED exciting a phosphor (just like in fluorescent lamps), which then gives off various different colours of light. The tone of the light (warm/cold) is determined by the composition of that phosphor layer.

Many LED lights are not well smoothed (for cheapness) and flicker at double the mains frequency, causing unpleasant strobing effects.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 04:35:58 AM »
I only found out a year ago, when the house was changed to consumer unit, and had the compulsory safety check that lofts now have to be IP rated and the old 'bulb' is no longer allowed.

Changed to a IP rated LED batten and all passed.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything