Author Topic: Has your Driving Licence expired?  (Read 624 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Has your Driving Licence expired?
« on: June 03, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
Mine has! Last October!

I wasn't even thinking about it. Was hardly driving. Hadn't realised 10 years had passed since my last renewal. I suppose I was also expecting to get some kind of reminder from the DVLA.

Never mind. There's an automatic 11 month extension in most cases, due to the Pandemic. Phew!

I'm 60 soon so I might as well wait until that has passed as I don't want to have to renew at 69 and then again at 70. Or maybe the process allows for that.

Anyway, check your licence expiry date maybe? Just in case.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

One thing I have noticed is that when you Google 'driving licence renewal' there's an awful lot of links for services to help you do it. Is it so hard that people can't do it themselves and would rather pay someone else to do it.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Has your Driving Licence expired?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
Be careful,

Over the past 10years or so the DVLA has been "accidentally " removing groups from license.

It can be motorcycle, trailer or what ever.

Make sure you have a copy before you send it off.

They tried to make me retake my motorcycle test again. Until I found a photo copy at work.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:21:04 AM »
Be careful,

Over the past 10years or so the DVLA has been "accidentally " removing groups from license.

Thanks for the heads up. I think they already did that last time. I seem to remember, having passed my test in 1979, I was allowed to drive all sorts of trucks and 15 seater minibuses and whatnot. Not bothered about motorcycles, never taken that test. I'm fine with cars, modest vans and small minibuses.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 11:00:08 AM »
You can now check what the DVLA hold for you online.

I was also worried about the missing categories fiasco as reported on Watchdog but a quick online check showed all is well.

I've still got my old paper licence but in a few years I'll need to renew it at 70.
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:10:48 PM »
You can now check what the DVLA hold for you online.
This.

I've had a "pink-un" since moving here many years ago, and it was still valid for a few more years. In view of the awkward new EU/third country requirements in these post-Br***t times I decided to bite the bullet and get a photo card which will be simpler when over there in Yurp (eventually, maybe???).

If you have "lost" your licence (lost as in can't find it, not had it taken away) you just declare that as the reason for applying for the new one. If by chance you subsequently find the old one, you surrender it. If you find it after the new one has arrived you can always cross check the categories/groups etc. before sending it off. Then you would be able to show entitlement to any missing categories. Just saying ......
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:15:01 PM by embee »

Tags:

anything