Author Topic: Grey import fit  (Read 1667 times)

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Grey import fit
« on: May 30, 2021, 05:01:37 PM »
Hi
I’m on my 3rd, first gen jazz. Slowly but surely, despite me waxoyling the shell the rust is creeping in. I’m tempted by a low miles Honda Fit (2nd gen) grey import. Rust free and silly low miles. The second gen model in Japan seems to have the 1.3 vtec engine unlike the uk jazz of the same age. Does anyone know if the engine service items for the 3rd gen uk model are the same? Last thing I want is a ball ache ordering parts at the local motor factor!
Cheers :D
K
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Grey import fit
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 06:18:51 PM »
Most Mk2 Jazzes in the UK are 1.34L engines.

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 07:47:46 PM »
Most Mk2 Jazzes in the UK are 1.34L engines.
Are they the same engine then, ie the uk 1.4l is the same as the jap 1.3l?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:11:07 PM by Keekster71 »
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:25 PM »
My Mk2 Jazz was a 1.4 which was 1.34l .
I think the basic S at the time was available with a 1.2 l engine.
So Honda called the 1.34 litre engine 1.4, and no , I don't know why !

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 09:14:48 PM »
My Mk2 Jazz was a 1.4 which was 1.34l .
I think the basic S at the time was available with a 1.2 l engine.
So Honda called the 1.34 litre engine 1.4, and no , I don't know why !
Thanks. Sounds to me that it’s the same engine then, so only differences will be trim and no doubt any entertainment system will be in Japanese!  but I can live with minor differences.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »
Ask the Fit seller for the auction sheet also for proof of mileage, JVIC certificate.
Remember insurance will be more than Jazz.
It's all about condition age of tyres & proof of servicing on imports.

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »
Ask the Fit seller for the auction sheet also for proof of mileage, JVIC certificate.
Remember insurance will be more than Jazz.
It's all about condition age of tyres & proof of servicing on imports.
Cheers, good advice. I’m expected insurance to be more. I usually use an insurance broker anyway as I have a classic Toyota as well.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:35:16 PM »
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 01:37:23 PM »
Put a deposit on the car at the weekend. Although it’s 12 years old there is no rust at all unlike uk cars of the same age. The car looks identical to the uk model with only two exceptions. Although it’s the 1.3/1.4l model it has drum brakes on the back like my 2003 jazz had. I’m sure all uk  second generation cars had disks on the back even the 1.2. And the wheels are 14” with 175/65 tyres whereas uk cars seem to come with 175/65 tyres on 15” rims. The only other differences are the interior trim which was mint anyway. I guess only parts issues will be if I need to overhaul the rear brakes, which presumably will be the same as the first generation. The car will be registered as a Jazz with the dvla so I can’t see insurance being a problem. Certainly the seller has not had any problems insuring it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:39:37 PM by Keekster71 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
Put a deposit on the car at the weekend. Although it’s 12 years old there is no rust at all unlike uk cars of the same age. The car looks identical to the uk model with only two exceptions. Although it’s the 1.3/1.4l model it has drum brakes on the back like my 2003 jazz had. I’m sure all uk  second generation cars had disks on the back even the 1.2. And the wheels are 14” with 175/65 tyres whereas uk cars seem to come with 175/65 tyres on 15” rims. The only other differences are the interior trim which was mint anyway. I guess only parts issues will be if I need to overhaul the rear brakes, which presumably will be the same as the first generation. The car will be registered as a Jazz with the dvla so I can’t see insurance being a problem. Certainly the seller has not had any problems insuring it.

The reason no rust is that Japanese don't use salt on their roads,  and for same reason ( as mentioned earlier in thread ) skimp on undersealing and seam sealing.... so a few winters on UK roads may mean it has more rust on it than a similar UK spec car for its age..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »

The reason no rust is that Japanese don't use salt on their roads,  and for same reason ( as mentioned earlier in thread ) skimp on undersealing and seam sealing.... so a few winters on UK roads may mean it has more rust on it than a similar UK spec car for its age..
I had a good look underneath, sure not much paint although I thought the sealer was ok, but it’s certainly no worse than my current car was when I bought it at three years of age. Ive owned three uk jazz now and I thought the undercoat on all of them was very poor.  Anyhoo The whole underside will be given a thorough coat of Dinitrol and cavity wax on my mates ramp before it goes anywhere so I don’t have any concerns as it’s way better than any uk car other than a brand new one. I do agree that if I didn’t underseal it it would rust pretty quickly though!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 03:24:23 PM by Keekster71 »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
The whole underside will be given a thorough coat of Dinitrol and cavity wax on my mates ramp before it goes anywhere so I don’t have any concerns as it’s way better than any uk car other than a brand new one. I do agree that if I didn’t underseal it it would rust pretty quickly though!

That is very wise! A decent corrosion prevention coating extends the body lifetime remarkably.

Keekster71

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:17 PM »
The whole underside will be given a thorough coat of Dinitrol and cavity wax on my mates ramp before it goes anywhere so I don’t have any concerns as it’s way better than any uk car other than a brand new one. I do agree that if I didn’t underseal it it would rust pretty quickly though!

That is very wise! A decent corrosion prevention coating extends the body lifetime remarkably.
The engine bay is very poorly painted. The slam panel is just primer as is the support for the radiator and the front ends of the chassis legs. The slam panel just bolts in so I plan to remove that and paint it. The rest will get a thorough spray of wax. I’m tempted to remove the front bumper to do it properly. One of my neighbours has a 14 plate uk car so I had a look at that. It was exactly the same, very little paint around the engine compartment. Very poor in my view.

Tags:

anything