Author Topic: May Have got caught today  (Read 1399 times)

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
May Have got caught today
« on: May 14, 2021, 05:37:16 PM »
Travelling on the A38 this afternoon, I passed under a road bridge with the dreaded police transit van overhead with cameras.  Doing about 79 mph indicated. Slowed down of course, but too late. Fine coming and some points too! Maybe they will give me a chocolate bar for getting a Jazz over the limit ! Probably not...

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
Re: May Have got caught today
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »
Sorry to hear that though with a bit of luck they will be after people doing a real 80mph.

I suspect you were actually doing 74-76mph so just under the 70mph plus 10% rule that ACPO recommend Police Forces apply (unless you happen to be in North Wales where there is no leeway).

Fingers crossed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
I think you will be fine (no pun intended) as you were probably quite a bit short of the magic 77 mph.
Hope you were not going faster earlier. I was surprised to learn these camera vans can catch you speeding a mile before you reach the van. Once you see it you are too late.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 06:48:20 PM »
Hopefully it will come to nothing as you were not speeding by a lot.

I don't know if it's playing on your mind, but did you know you can check whether or not you have any penalty points on the following website ?

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/how-to-check-your-endorsement-details

Might pay to leave it for a few days before you check if it only happened this afternoon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:50:24 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »
Might pay to leave it for a few days before you check if it only happened this afternoon.
They have to notify the registered keeper first. He may not have been the driver.
I was told by a couple of serving police officers that here in Scotland when you get the letter you have to say who was driving, but if it was you, just ignore the fine letter. They don't have the civilian staff to follow it up. Points still go on your licence though.

cornishpasty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 07:10:44 PM »
It's my own fault. Put my foot down going up an incline. Seems that the law have twigged that's what folks do. Not daft are they ? Anyway , thanks and fingers crossed.

cornishpasty

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
Derkie54. Hi ! No, this would be my first offence. 67and a speed virgin...

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »
That is an enviable track record!  :D

I got caught 34 in a 30 coming out of a village and speeding up before the 40 limit. Got offered a speeders course instead of the points. I went for the course and retained a clean licence. I found the course interesting and not preachy.

I was never a speeder in town, but was happy to roll into limits a little over and then accelerate a little before the higher limit. I no longer do this. I stick to the limits 100%. If I get caught again within 3 yrs it will be straight to points.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
I lost my actual virginity and my speed virginity on the same day and in the same clockface hour the day after my driving test on 07/12/19 so there you go.

In all seriousness, anyone is unlikely to be done for 79 and that's bang on the 10% + 2 rule.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
AFAIK, told to me by a traffic officer friend, it's a discretionary figure, not a rule.

Don't try that with the new smart motorway Hadecs3 cameras because they give no leeway.
Let's be careful out there !

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 05:37:24 PM »
I lost my actual virginity and my speed virginity on the same day and in the same clockface hour the day after my driving test on 07/12/19 so there you go.

TMI as they say  ;D

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
AFAIK, told to me by a traffic officer friend, it's a discretionary figure, not a rule.

The 10%+3 leeway is the APCO recommendation. If you're being a prat, they can do you for limit+1. The difficulty is getting that charge to stick.

The reason for the leeway is that a court might otherwise accept a de minimis defence for going over by just one mph or throw doubt on the accuracy/precision of the police's measuring device.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 09:27:54 PM »

The 10%+3 leeway is the APCO recommendation. If you're being a prat, they can do you for limit+1. The difficulty is getting that charge to stick.

The reason for the leeway is that a court might otherwise accept a de minimis defence for going over by just one mph or throw doubt on the accuracy/precision of the police's measuring device.

The normal coppers know that booking people for 1mph over limit resulted in courts blocked up by motorists questioning the accuracy of the equipment, ( there is also the tolerance on the vehicle speedo display ), wanting to see calibration certificate for the equipment from the day in question etc.  The trouble was that the higher ups, fresh out of Uni and fast tracked and wanting to make an impression bought in 'zero tolerance of speeding' campaigns.  When using the 10%+2 formula there is not question that the person was speeding so many just take the fine and points.   It never pays to be smart with a copper that has stopped you, they will always get their own back - and often being pleasant and treating them like human beings can get you off with a verbal warning - now speed cameras are a whole different ball game........ can't negotiate with one of those.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-6954637/Speed-camera-tolerances-Britain-revealed.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything