Author Topic: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge  (Read 6428 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
None of you have ever lived! :P

In the 1980s I drove my very own Jaguar XJ6..and towed a caravan
At 60mph err,, 70mph.

I recall each of the two fuel tanks (switchable) held about 10 gallons (alcohol. age and time mean I cannot recall exactly_)
When you achieve 13mpg , switching fuel tanks and visiting fuel stations become a common occurrence.. 8) 8) 8)

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2021, 05:43:34 PM »
13mpg! Blimey. Do you have your own oil field Sheik madasafish?  ;D

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »
So, thought I would see 'how low I dare go' the other day. Little Jazz reckoned he was about bone dry and only 23 miles left in the tank. Right then, I reckon I'll get about 40 litres in...
At an indicated "empty" you've got between 6 and 8 litres left in the Mk2 Jazz. It's all due to the unusual shape of the tank. They made a feature out of it by marketing it as a "reserve".

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
I had a Mk 1 Triumph 2.5 PI in which the fuel injectors were shot. When I sold it I told the guy, "I have to be honest. I have had 18 mpg out of it.". What I didn't tell him that was the best I had had. 9 mpg was my average. I had to replace the sooty spark plugs every day. Luckily I had about 5 sets of them (30) and access to a sandblaster.

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2021, 11:02:54 PM »
I tend to fill the tank when the needle drops below the half way mark. Today, the needle was suggesting a nearly empty fuel tank. Only took 33.08 litres to fill it! I was expecting to get more in. 

The fuel gauge on Honda Jazz’s are indeed very pessimistic. The light on my mk1 Jazz comes on with around 9 or so litres left (meaning a 34 litres fill up) but because I’m an idiot I like to stretch it and play the lottery. Current personal record is 40.1 litres in a 42 litre tank, I really was running on fumes that day.

So many people panic about the fuel light when they really don’t need to. Like I said, my fuel light comes on with 9 litres left so at 45mpg that rices me around 90 miles of running before empty so people who rush to the pump the second the light comes on don’t need to. If the next fuel pump isn’t for 30 miles, don’t worry about it.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
This may divide opinion and I'm certainly no expert on these things, but a mechanic I know told me many years ago that consistently using almost your entire fuel tank was a good thing as you were more likely to avoid poor quality fuel accumulating at the bottom (because it would have been processed by the engine for its intended purpose).

Ever since then, and on a range of previous cars, I have almost always waited for the fuel warning light to come on before filling up (when there is approx. 5-7 litres left in a 40 litre tank). Not sure if that mechanic was right or I've just been lucky, but I've never had any engine problems.

I would suggest your mechanic has expressed an opinion :). If in doubt, I think the prudent approach is to avoid the risk of any rubbish (dead flies, dust, dirt, you name it) that has collected at the bottom of the tank, especially with older vehicles.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
I have intentionally driven fuel tank empty on many cars to see where the needle goes when the tank is empty and how much fuel can be filled then. And in all those cars the needle has fallen below the empty line before it's all used.

Haven't done it with my GK Jazz, because digital fuel display has so coarse resolution and it will not present anything less than empty. Would be nice to see the volume though...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:53:28 PM by TnTkr »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
This may divide opinion and I'm certainly no expert on these things, but a mechanic I know told me many years ago that consistently using almost your entire fuel tank was a good thing as you were more likely to avoid poor quality fuel accumulating at the bottom (because it would have been processed by the engine for its intended purpose).

Ever since then, and on a range of previous cars, I have almost always waited for the fuel warning light to come on before filling up (when there is approx. 5-7 litres left in a 40 litre tank). Not sure if that mechanic was right or I've just been lucky, but I've never had any engine problems.

I would suggest your mechanic has expressed an opinion :). If in doubt, I think the prudent approach is to avoid the risk of any rubbish (dead flies, dust, dirt, you name it) that has collected at the bottom of the tank, especially with older vehicles.
Both approaches are difficult to give reason. The intake of the fuel line is always at same level from the bottom no matter how much fuel there is in the tank. Only the rubbish on the surface can get into the system if driving until the tank is empty.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2021, 02:37:51 PM »
Both approaches are difficult to give reason. The intake of the fuel line is always at same level from the bottom no matter how much fuel there is in the tank. Only the rubbish on the surface can get into the system if driving until the tank is empty.

I agree,  the intake level does not change as the fuel level decreases, so any water ( which is heavier than petrol ) would be sucked up whether tank was full or empty.   There is a large filter in the tank so and solid debris on the 'surface' of the fuel should not get through either.  Once you have run a car to empty light once you should know how much fuel is left anyway. IMHO Jazz reserve is better than only having 1 litre left when light flashes ( service stations in UK these days seem to be larger but are also further apart ).  Personally I never really let my tank get below half way because you never know when an emergency may arise and you need to use car.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
Same here, topup at 50% left ....... because you never know
Let's be careful out there !

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2021, 11:35:39 AM »
I had a Mk2 Fiat Punto where the low fuel light used to come on very early, just under a quarter of a tank if I remember, much earlier than on any other make I've owned. I learn't to drive in Fiat Uno and that would the same, my driving instructor just said to ignore it!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2021, 06:37:47 AM »
Same here, topup at 50% left ....... because you never know

Vindicated ?

Just took a short walk to my local Tesco, 06:20, and there is a nose to tail procession as they have to go round the roundabout and back out to the main road as they are shut, run out.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2021, 09:34:30 AM »
[smug]
I am very happy that I filled our MK4, day before yesterday. I should not need to refill until the current fuel crisis is over.
[/smug]
Neil Ives

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
Hi

There is no fuel crisis apart from the perceived fuel crisis the panic buyers are creating!

Many thanks

John

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2021, 12:05:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:14:40 PM by JimSh »

Tags: