Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 13678 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2020, 03:12:47 PM »
Heading south on the M90 I came upon this at the Scotstoun Curve.

Obviously rolled in the chippings as they were all over the carriageway. My issue was trying to slow down and travel in a straight line through the loose stones.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »

Obviously rolled in the chippings as they were all over the carriageway. My issue was trying to slow down and travel in a straight line through the loose stones.
Without touching the brake pedal, I presume?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2020, 05:20:19 PM »
Most definitely. I rode a motorcycle for enough years to know how treacherous that piece of tarmac was.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »

That looks familiar, I'm pretty sure that's where I once came upon a large Audi estate sideways on across the carriageway a few years ago. These sorts of squeaky bum moments tend to stick in your mind...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 10:39:26 AM »
I had to take my polydactyl cat to the vet to have her claws clipped. She is the original "scaredy-cat", and I cannot get near her to do them myself.
While there, it is common to see the usual array of cats, dogs, rabbits and even the odd tortoise. Today however a chap brought in a mustang!
Not any old mustang, however. This was a bright orange, 2019, 5 Litre Ford Mustang. What a glorious sound it made as the V8 burbled away. A delight to a petrolheads ears.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
Today I was taking my wife over to Dalkeith to visit her Mum in the care home. Heading south towards the Queensferry Crossing there is an inside lane which joins as the on-ramp from Rosyth and continues to become the off-ramp for Ferry Toll. As we approached it, the Smart signs restricted the speed limit to 50, and the first sign above the inside lane indicated Lane Closed. So did the second and beyond that, a crew were trying to remove a load of junk that had fallen into the carriageway from a skip lorry (visible on the off-ramp). I was suddenly aware of a woman in a Ford Focus convertible coming up alongside me in the closed lane. The guys waved her to get out of the lane, but we were doing 50 mph, and she was trying to undertake me and had nowhere to go. She drove right through and over the debris.
With a bit of luck, she will need to replace a tyre or too and hopefully much more than that.
Some drivers have no idea what the overhead motorway signs mean. Luckily she didn't plough into the crew at work there.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2020, 10:51:19 PM »
All okay? Good to see you are getting some visiting in.

Some drivers have no idea what the overhead motorway signs mean.

Either that, or perhaps paying more attention to you than what was going on in front. Or not paying attention at all... have you noticed that more drivers are using mobile phones again? I seem to be seeing it more and more.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2020, 04:58:27 AM »
Has to have been looking at some other 'thing' rather than out of the windscreen ?
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
Either that, or perhaps paying more attention to you than what was going on in front.
It is difficult to miss two sets of lane closed signs, or at least I would find it difficult to miss them.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Today I was taking my wife over to Dalkeith to visit her Mum in the care home.

It would seem that the regulations are a little different in Scotland, compared to England.
My wife has been in a care home for just over 2 years, living with Alzheimer's and I have not seen her since August, apart from Facetime calls, and prior to that I was limited to 1/2 hour visits in a gazebo in the garden of the home, from the first lockdown onwards.

Whilst I do prefer the Facetime calls, rather than a basic telephone call, as I can make a visual judgement as how how she is feeling, I do know that she is very confused, just seeing my face on an Ipad and does not really understand what she is seeing, or what is going on.

I have to say, I'm finding it hard going at the moment, but try to keep myself busy with my various interests.
Although, even my visits to my model club, the Birmingham SME, have now been stopped due to the latest change in the regulations.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
Mum is allowed the one visit a week, outside, and always the same designated visitor. She is very deaf, so Facetime and telephone calls are not really satisfactory. We have a flip chart, and if my wife has problems getting something through to Mum, she writes it on the chart in big, bold print.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
I hope they soon do something with fast testing for care home visitors. The restrictions as they are cause a lot of pain and anguish.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »
Today, after dropping my wife off at her work (06:30 ish), I came down to a T-junction controlled by traffic lights. As I approached them, they changed to red, and I stopped. A few seconds later, a car arrived from the other side, slowed down a little, then blatantly continued through the red light. I think being in the crew of an unmarked traffic car must be the best job in the world.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 07:35:17 AM »
I've hoped to see something I can report via my dashcam.

So far, in over 7 years I've only seen one and that was an idiot overtaking on the inside then cutting across, just as I was overtaking a truck. Only inches in it.

Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 09:23:03 AM »
Today, after dropping my wife off at her work (06:30 ish), I came down to a T-junction controlled by traffic lights. As I approached them, they changed to red, and I stopped. A few seconds later, a car arrived from the other side, slowed down a little, then blatantly continued through the red light. I think being in the crew of an unmarked traffic car must be the best job in the world.

My best squeaky bum moment this year was a few months ago, I was just returning my Dad's car after taking it for MOT - sadly, no dashcam.

There's a zero visibility hump-backed river bridge near me that's only just wide enough for two cars to pass. After numerous accidents, they eventually made it single carriageway and installed traffic lights about 20-odd years ago...

I approached the bridge, lights on green, so I carry on over the bridge... to be met on the other side by a woman in a hatchback just pulling up at the red light, and an idiot in a truck cab pickup overtaking her on my side of the road. He was going over the bridge regardless of what the lights said.

The look on the woman's face was of total horror. I braked hard, fortunately I was not going fast. He had to dive in front of the hatchback and stop beyond the traffic lights - where he could no longer see them. Further mayhem then ensued. A second later, and we would have met on the brow, where there's nowhere to go.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? It's like putting a gun to your head with one bullet in it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 09:25:53 AM by sparky Paul »

Tags: