Author Topic: Unfavourable Review of new Jazz  (Read 41870 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Unfavourable Review of new Jazz
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »
I'm on 41.1 as you can see but the first two fill ups represent cold weather and my usual pattern of short journeys. My average speed is 15 mph which gives you some indication of the time I spend stationary!

I'd be delighted if mine settles in the mid 40s.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 07:26:31 AM »
I have to agree with the review. There are a lot of hills where I live and my Jazz struggled to gain any speed uphill. The lack lustre performance was the main reason I switched to a Ford Fiesta Ecoboost, and I haven't regretted that decision. I have had a Mk1 and a Mk2 jazz and they can't be beaten for reliability or interior space but once you have driven a Ford Ecoboost engine and experienced how much torque is available at low revs you realise how bad the Jazz is in that respect, and my mpg is the same as the Jazz. It is not a surprise that the 1.0 three cylinder engine has won engine of the year three times in a row.   When they put a similar engine inn the Jazz I'll be one of the first to give it a test drive.

I sold my Ford Fiesta Ecoboost manual for a Honda Jazz Sport CVT and I can tell you that it has a lot more go than the Fiesta even allowing for the CVT. It just sails up hills and in my opinion beats the fiesta which was a bit gutless on a long upward slope on the motorway. Its just pleasure to drive around town with the CVT compared to the Fiesta and the economy is the same if not better. Its pretty well the same dimensions as the Fiesta outside but inside its huge. The Car Reviews go on and on about the fiesta handling but I can only say that the 2018 Jazz goes around bends and curves every bit as fast as the Fiesta.

I must say that if I had paid any attention to Car Reviews then I doubt I would have bought a Jazz. But I believe in a trying a car myself. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the 2018 Honda Sport was on the road. The Honda Jazz (Fit) in the USA is very popular but they have always had the 1.5 engine which I suspect is the key difference.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:35:25 AM by Barcam »

mcderd

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »
I decided to read another of Zoe's reviews

www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/23/hyundai-tucson-car-review-zoe-williams

She seems to be obsessed with a lack of acceleration, her style suggests she wants to be a female Clarkson. I would like to know which car accelerates to her satisfaction?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »

www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/23/hyundai-tucson-car-review-zoe-williams

She seems to be obsessed with a lack of acceleration, her style suggests she wants to be a female Clarkson. I would like to know which car accelerates to her satisfaction?

Problem is some people want massive performance and great mpg, and the two are pretty much mutually exclusive because good performance means a good power to weight ratio and good mpg pretty much means settling for less performance.  The Honda iVTEC system is a good compromise and very reliable thanks to its basic simplicity and also its genius ( I had a chance to work installing equipment in BMW Hams Hall engine plant where I was shocked to see an electric motor inside the rocker cover of their engines, it job was to alter position of camshaft relative to crankshaft ,  but does not alter lift or dwell like the VTEC does). 

Problem is many people compare Turbo diesel and turbo petrol with naturally aspirated engines these days and think they are somehow 'more powerful'  because they have more torque lower down rev range,  but Honda manual gearbox is a joy to use, and for others there is always CVT.

She could test a Tesla and then complain about other things like the quality, fit and finish, tendency for wheels to fall off and the autopilot,  but would be happy with acceleration.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »

I think theses reviewers live in a different world from us ordinary drivers. Also they tend to follow what the other reviewers have written, its herd instinct.  Things like the noise from the CVT gearbox. It does not sound any louder than any other car I have driven. Car underpowered, rubbish the 1.3 is quite good enough and the 1.5 is even better.

The only good review I ever found was from "Honest John".

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
I agree completely with Barcam. Another issue with car reviews in the press, even the left leaning Guardian, is that the staple diet is performance cars from prestige manufacturers. Not only that, they are usually the most highly specced models.

So, one week the reviewer is testing something like a Porsche then they might have to test a token ordinary car like the Jazz. They'll be a bit peeved to go back into the real world like the rest of us and it shows in the critical reviews they write.

I was interested in Barcam's review of the Fiesta Ecoboost . Last week I had a lift in one and, I have to say, I was quite impressed. Obviously the acid test would have to be a test drive.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
I agree completely with Barcam. Another issue with car reviews in the press, even the left leaning Guardian, is that the staple diet is performance cars from prestige manufacturers. Not only that, they are usually the most highly specced models.

So, one week the reviewer is testing something like a Porsche then they might have to test a token ordinary car like the Jazz. They'll be a bit peeved to go back into the real world like the rest of us and it shows in the critical reviews they write.

I was interested in Barcam's review of the Fiesta Ecoboost . Last week I had a lift in one and, I have to say, I was quite impressed. Obviously the acid test would have to be a test drive.

I had mine for three years, disappointing build quality (mine came from Spain), repeated disk run-out problems and glazing of the rear drum brakes. Fixed under warranty but always came back over time. Great engine very responsive but disappointing fuel consumption, nothing like Fords published figures. As a retired engineer I had my doubts about the longevity of the engine as its highly stressed. I prefer the Honda Jazz Sport any day, it feels bullet proof.

mcderd

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »
As culzean said "She could test a Tesla and then complain about other things like the quality, fit and finish, tendency for wheels to fall off and the autopilot,  but would be happy with acceleration." Especially in ludicrous mode!

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »
Just on acceleration with the CVT, I've been experimenting a bit with S mode. On Sunday I was approaching the junction in Greater Manchester where the A57 intersects the M60. The roundabout is a bit of a multi laned racetrack and the hesitancy of the CVT (1.3 engine) could have been an issue. By dropping into S mode I was able to power round the roundabout quite effectively dropping back into D once I'd joined the M60.

So, use S mode from time to time when you need that extra acceleration, it really makes a difference.

guest7494

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »
My present CVT Jazz is my replacement for previous CVT 1.4 Mk2 Jazz, it is equally as good if not better.
A cracking little motor. Apart from the INFOTAINMENT SCREEN but even that is good to stick  my sat nav on so all is well that ends well.
I suggest the original Guardian motor correspondent re apply for an alternative position more suitable for her capabilities,not sure what that might be though. perhaps suggestions might be forthcoming.????

Tags: