Author Topic: UK road tax (VED)  (Read 1019 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
UK road tax (VED)
« on: March 30, 2023, 02:38:33 PM »
Only applies to UK folk ....

The VED rates are due to go up as from 1st April.

HOWEVER, if your vehicle is insured/MOTd and legal then you can tax it from 1st April today or tomorrow at the old rates.
Remember that it's not legal to take it on the road until the VED is valid.

When doing it online you have to specify whether the VED is to run from 01/03 or 01/04, make sure you select 01/04 April otherwise you will be paying a full month's VED for one or two days use.

If you are renewing a current VED you can do it up to a couple of weeks in advance, but if it is not already taxed (i.e. SORN) then you get just a couple of days allowance to do it in advance. Car rates are going up around 10%. I've just done a car and 3 bikes which have all been SORN over winter, if I waited until 1st April it would have cost me nearly £50 more.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: UK road tax (VED)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 02:45:47 PM »
They kept that rise quiet.
Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 05:37:40 PM »
I've been struggling to find official info for new rates, but at last found a third party article here
https://www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/how-much-is-road-tax-going-up-1-april-2022.html
(ignore the link title saying 2022, the article is for 2023/4)

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 11:15:38 AM »
Rates have goen up by about a tenner a pop.

embee

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
Just a small aside really .....
My little sports car was registered in 1995 so pre-dates the CO2 banding system, the VED rate for that went up from £180 to £200. It is a 650cc Japanese Kei-car and does around 55-60mpg typically.
In contrast my 2011 1.33Lt Yaris tax rate was £30, now £35.
My motorbikes are in the higher category, 600cc and above. The VED has gone up from £101 to £111.
I have a 300cc Yamaha "tricycle", a scooter with 2 front wheels. By a totally bizarre categorisation system, if the front wheels are less than 450mm apart is counts as a "bicycle" for legal/tax purposes and needs a full motorbike license, if the wheels are more than 450mm apart it becomes a "tricycle" and can be ridden on a car license (utterly bonkers idea, but hey ho). A plus for car license holders who want to ride one, but it means that instead of 300cc bicycle VED of £52 it is the full tricycle rate of £111, because it was engineered for car license usage. The 125cc version of the bike is a Class II "bicycle" because the wheels are less than 450mm apart.
It also means that the MOT is a Class III (tricycle) rather than a Class II (motorcycle/bicycle), and relatively few garages are qualified/equipped to do Class III (usually either Class II for bike garages or Class IV for cars), so I'm going to have to travel a good few miles to get to my nearest Class III MOT place, neither of the places I usually use for bikes and cars are Class III places.
....but it was my choice so ........
I SORN them all over winter so get some VED refunded anyway.

Don't you love the "simplified" bureaucracy ideas of our governments.

Tags: