Poll

If your Jazz suffers from notchy steering, please tells us what year the car was registered

6 (5.5%)
8 (7.3%)
6 (5.5%)
21 (19.1%)
17 (15.5%)
24 (21.8%)
28 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Honda Jazz 2002-2008 Stiff or notchy power steering  (Read 132709 times)

guest150

Re: Stiff power steering
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
If you bought the car from a private seller then I guess you could try the original supplying dealer but I would try the one that is closest to you.

guest1791

• Topic Starter
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »
I have taken the car to the few honda dealers today, the first one i dont think they took seriously looking of my car just told me they checked my car and everything is fine there are nothing they can do about it. the second one which take the car for roadtest and he found it is stiffness with steering. but he think my car was in accicent before but have to check it out and therefore i need rebooking in with it the waitting period will be 2 weeks. then, i try the thrid one they did roadtest and checking my car they said my car was in big damage before which honda warranty will not cover it. the best thing for me is to replace the steering rack something like $800 plus the labour cost i think. i dont know what should i do now. i can still drive it just the wired steering annoying all the time or i can replace the steering rack hopefully can fixed the problem..

guest1804

• Topic Starter
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
I was experiencing the same thing a few weeks agop - but now i have read post, i know what needs to be sorted - have booked car into local garge for end of this week - even with this prob though I do love my Jazz

guest2111

• Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
I wonder why this topic has gone cold. Did a replacement rack cure everyones problem? Not ours. Perhaps dodgy steering has resulted in the affected cars being taken off the road, (one way or another). Maybe we all swallowed the Honda line : "It's a characteristic of the car" WTF!
Our Honda dealer senior tech. virtually asked us to write to Honda because after changing the steering rack the problem was still there and he wasn't authorised to do any more. As a result the car is back with them and their super senior tech. is looking at it.
Surely a company that runs a Formula 1 team could have sorted this by now.
Having read this and other threads, it seems to me that the problem is speed related. Perhaps the sensor that makes the assistance respond with more vigour at low speeds is failing, or a poor electrical connection is limiting the response of the motor, or it's more sensitive one way than the other.
Whatever; I can't believe that intermittent steering is a characteristic of the car, and if it is a known problem why wasn't it checked out before the car was offered for sale as Honda approved?
Anyway, we'll see what is said tomorrow, I'll let you know.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
My Jazz has this problem intermittently, I've always suspected it's the EPS module. I would think if it was down to the steering rack the problem would get progressively worse and not be intermittent.

guest4033

• Topic Starter
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
Hi IM NEW ON THIS SITE AND HAVE JUST BOUGHT A HONDA JAZZ 1.4 on a 06 plate lots of people said its the best car going all rounder ,yet on traveling home from the dealer where i bought the car i noticed the steering was stiff and jerky especially on the motor way , someone said it is a common fault , and needs to be replaced while its under warranty ( CAN ANY ONE HELP WITH INFORMATION ON THIS PLEASE )

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
Are you used to driving a car with power steering?  Jerky it should not be, but will stiffen up somewhat when travelling at speed.  The Jazz power steering is not as light as for instance a Toyota Corolla or a Jeep Cherokee
If music be the food of love, play on

guest3971

• Topic Starter
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
goldencherub,

I notice that as well when I bought my Jazz 56 last week.

they said it is normal as when you are in low speed it will be lighter and in high speed (motorways) it will be heavier. I got no problems with it  ;D

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Why not go back to the dealer, if Honda, ask to drive a similar model then comapre.

guest1844

• Topic Starter
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
I've put up with the stiff steering for 3 years and it drives me nuts on the motorway. I always now use my other car on longer journeys. I looked into it, went underneath and loosened the rack guide to little effect. It's a design "fault", a combination of the way Honda does its electric power steering and the specific geometry of the Jazz's steering.
I don't know how Honda do it but I can feel the same thing, albeit much less, in an '08 civic I drove the other day. I have hire cars sometimes for work and the VW polo's and Vauxhall Corsa's electric power steering is tons better. There is just a springiness in the jazz, with friction which is in the rack I think, not the electric bit. Try it with the engine off, somewhere safe of course, and ignition off as the eps wakes up if speed is detected even with engine off. (keep the key in so the steering lock won't engage).
I even thought of taking the rack out and having a go at it but it's a big job and I understand a sealed unit - thought there's no such thing as a sealed unit in my book - but easier to buy another car!

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »
The steering on our 'new' 1.4 was quite notchy and without any 'feel', whereas our 1.2 has always had pleasant steering. I have changed the 15" alloys for 14" steels (like the 1.2) and it has transformed the feel of the car - rides better and steers really well!
14" honda steel wheels with 175/65x14 Avon tyres.

guest3315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
Hello people,

This is a common feeling for those who migrate from conventional  power steering systems(specially for people used to drive sedans )  .

1. The goal was to increase overall efficiency. which means no power consumed when not in use.

2. EPS use special algorithms to provide the required assist  by considering speed and turn rate . so when you are around 70mph, assist get reduced to hinder the turn rate.

3. when you are below 30mph the system gives you generous support to make your big turns.

4. However if you tried out too many swift turns  even in slow speed , the assist get reduced dramatically.    This is a result from overheated motor and its driver system(system automatically limits current to the motor until its normal ). 

5. The culprit is the angle sensor in the steering column which is highly subjected to inevitable wearing (its a POT ). This unit is shared by both EPS and ABS  .   

***  please check the torque sensor also but not likely to damage or malfunction 

guest2097

• Topic Starter
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
hi folks
just sold my 03 jazz at 92000miles coz of autobox juddering and bought an 06 1.3cvt 30000 miles 1owner fsh.Fantastic one might think ? but on driving up the motorway the vehicle seems to be driving on rails and to make the slightest adjustment to direction needs a firm tug on the wheel ?
On slower speeds steering does not return (no big deal to me but the gaffer (wife) hates it).
Spoke with local honda dealer this am who says bring it in it may need a new rack. WTF.30k one owner FSH Unbelievable.Tells me as its got full honda history we may get help with cost from HONDA.
Watch this space!
 >:( >:( >:( >:(

guest2097

• Topic Starter
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »
just came across this very good description of jazz steering.

The steering is electric which traditionally offers little or no feedback. Fine, we can live with that. It is also slow - so more turning is required in order to get a result. Also fine. But it's the weighting that has gone wrong. Normally you steer not by moving the wheel, but by applying a small force. In the old days, the wheel would be wriggling a bit, and the force would cause an average movement and a subsequent change in direction. More force - a faster change. But in the Jazz, the steering is stiff, as if there is some bizarre friction. Apply a small force, and the wheel won't move. Apply a bit more, still nothing. A bit more and it moves - too much. So repeat the whole process in the reverse direction. It's so bad that if you are steady and make a correction, the wheel will turn and will then stay where it is - the self centering action is not enough to overcome this friction and pull it back to centre, so you have to do the unnatural thing and turn it back to centre.
The net result is a wiggling path, never quite putting the car where you want it to be..

NOW COME ON HONDA DO WE REALLY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS RUBBISH ?
A CHARACTER OF THE CAR, WHAT BOLLOCKS. >:(

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
I have owned 2 1.4 ex I shift and find the steering light and positive over the years I have owned many cars most bought new, I myself can not fault the steering.

Tags:

anything