Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 2644 times)

Trebor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
Car insurance
« on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Just received my yearly insurance quote from the AA,£475.27.Last year £361.25,what a jump.I think there having a laugh! Do any of you guys or girls know a good insurance company that's not going to rip me off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
Check prices on the various web sites, like Go Compare and such. That is what I did, then picked the cheapest that suited my needs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
Just received my yearly insurance quote from the AA,£475.27.Last year £361.25,what a jump.I think there having a laugh! Do any of you guys or girls know a good insurance company that's not going to rip me off.

I renewed my Civic in early December, but not with AA as I had been with them for previous year and their price went from £210 last year to £320 this year according to them 'due to increase in government tax'. I went back to using a local broker who I had used for many years and got same cover (fully comp, legal cover, protected no claims, hire car, and windscreen) for £270.  Does not pay to stay with one company too long as they take your business for granted.  AA were also going to auto renew but I do not remember agreeing to that, so I quickly phoned them to tell them I would not be renewing before they could sneak the renewal through.   

Try to find a local independent broker (my family use KGJ based in Wolverhampton) as they normally give most competitive prices. I found Swinton to be ok, with lots of high street branches, but they fell somewhere between KGJ and AA cost wise.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:00:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
Look at the Topcashback comparison site. 

Don't necessarily buy the cheapest!

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
I have used comparison websites like Confused, MoneySupermarket, etc. and used the quotes from here to get my current provider (Admiral) to pricematch the lowest..Admiral are also on the comparison websites and they themselves give a lower quote on these websites than what they have sent through to me for renewal.

Trebor

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the advise,much appreciated.i will let you know how I get on.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
I'm with LV.  I never auto renew.  Every year I phone up to query the amount and they always quote cheaper.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
My experience of Auto Review was I cancelled it with ESure. Then they renewed and took my (much increased) premium. They did refund it when I complained.So I will NEVER use them again.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 02:44:34 PM »
A Direct Line customer for years, always check the comparison sites each year when my renewal is due and usually cannot get any cheaper, however this year they wanted £46 more than last year, got some quotes from other companies and then phoned DL they immediately matched the cheapest quote so I paid £256.48 only a few pounds more than last year, the guy told me to always phone them if the renewal is too large as it is computer generated and they can always give a better deal.

guest5770

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
If you have got a quote on a comparison site check the amount of the policy excess. The voluntary excess is usually set about £150. Try reducing it to zero and re-calculate the quote. Last few times I have done that the quote has been exactly the same.

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »
Hi have just renewed mine with the AA I was with the RAC , they wanted £324 fully comp with £350 excess, thats with full no claims courtesy car, and protect NCB, AA quoted £216 fully comp with full NC, Zero excess , (£100 compulsory)protected NC bonus Legal cover, and courtesy car, may not be as good next year, ringing around and on comparison sites no one could get anywhere near, it always depends on post code this was on a jazz 2010 1.4 ex semi auto age 57 full clean licence, also as a side line Compare the market , yes I know you can get a meerkat or cinema tickets for the car Insurance but as a tip to fellow members on the forum, go to the site and take out one days travel insurance for the uk no frills it will cost about £1.37 then you can claim 12 moths cinema tickets worked for me!!

Tags:

anything