Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 767870 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2415 on: November 22, 2021, 08:25:13 AM »
Compulsory charging points.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/law-force-developers-install-electric-223000681.html

"New homes in England will have to have electric vehicle charging points installed as standard by law from next year, in a major bid to try and move drivers away from petrol and diesel cars."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:33:33 AM by JimSh »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2416 on: November 22, 2021, 08:39:59 AM »
Most of the new builds I see are multi storey so best of luck with that one.

Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2417 on: November 22, 2021, 09:01:39 AM »
Compulsory charging points.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/law-force-developers-install-electric-223000681.html

"New homes in England will have to have electric vehicle charging points installed as standard by law from next year, in a major bid to try and move drivers away from petrol and diesel cars."

They are already raising the cost of ICE fuels to make EV look more attractive,  they have to do it because electricity prices are going up....

In UK we pay VAT on the total price AFTER duty is added to cost of fuel, otherwise known as 'double dipping'.

https://www.askthecarexpert.com/fuel-tax/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2418 on: November 22, 2021, 10:24:28 AM »
Good luck with home charging when power cuts come and you have a smart meter.

It is future National Grid policy to switch off fast charging at home via the Smart Meter to prevent blackouts.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2419 on: November 22, 2021, 10:26:24 AM »
Extension leads?
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2420 on: November 22, 2021, 10:36:26 AM »
Extension leads?

I can see neigbours sneaking down in middle of night to plug their cars into your extension lead, then swapping it back before you get up, and you will wonder why your car didn't charge.... :o
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #2421 on: November 22, 2021, 10:41:51 AM »
Would he not have been better to legislate that new houses not be built on flood plains or that new houses have solar panels and better standards of insulation?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/22/more-than-5000-homes-in-england-approved-to-be-built-in-flood-zones

Added link
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:10:07 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2422 on: November 22, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »
Would he not have been better to legislate that new houses not be built on flood plains or that new houses have solar panels and better standards of insulation?

Solar power has an availability factor of 10% in UK, ie not viable - UK has 14GW of solar installed but rarely sees more than 4GW for 8 hours a day in high summer, and in winter, well forget it.  The government say we should all have 300mm of insulation in our lofts ( making them unusable as anything other than a wasted space at the top of your house. I posted a graph about a week ago ( attached again to this post ) that plotted the insulating value against thickness of insulation there was insignificant gain between 150mm and 300mm and also very little gain above 100mm - so who suggested 300mm - the lobbyists and party donors from insulation companies ?  We have 140mm insulation boarded over with 18mm chipboard in our loft,  making the insulation very efficient and allowing loft to be useful. Some of our neighbours got cavity insulation under government scheme but have seen little or no saving in energy bills but a rise in dampness.  The latest recommendation ( read - 'legal requirement' ) is to have windows with trickle vents and 10mm gap under all interior doors,  so save a little energy by having cavities blocked up, making the house damper, then try to get rid of dampness by allowing cold air to blow through your house... madness.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:22:50 AM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2423 on: November 22, 2021, 11:33:51 AM »

40% don't have off road parking so this is a real issue and I'm far from sure it's being addressed. I was involved in an exchange on a Facebook page recently when I was accused of being negative after querying one post saying "most people charge at home" - at present that is almost certainly true because the majority, not all, but a majority of current EV owners tend to be better off and resident in detached houses. Somebody put up a post saying "this has been sorted" and showed a picture of some pavement mounted device. It hasn't been sorted and pavement charging in in its infancy with a lot of issues to be sorted. My daughter, just one example, has no off street parking and she can't always park outside her house. She is resigned to charging at work when/if her college installs points. They'll need a lot of points.

EV evangelists always like to say that there are more EV charge points than petrol stations and there are but they fail to take into account that a petrol station will typically have 15 to 20 hoses whereas an EV charge station might only have 2 points. I have seen one estimate that we will need several million public charge points.

We are not even close to where we need to be. I accept things might look different towards the end of the decade but I sense a complacency in government circles.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #2424 on: November 22, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:18:09 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2425 on: November 22, 2021, 12:10:37 PM »

40% don't have off road parking so this is a real issue and I'm far from sure it's being addressed. I was involved in an exchange on a Facebook page recently when I was accused of being negative after querying one post saying "most people charge at home" - at present that is almost certainly true because the majority, not all, but a majority of current EV owners tend to be better off and resident in detached houses. Somebody put up a post saying "this has been sorted" and showed a picture of some pavement mounted device. It hasn't been sorted and pavement charging in in its infancy with a lot of issues to be sorted. My daughter, just one example, has no off street parking and she can't always park outside her house. She is resigned to charging at work when/if her college installs points. They'll need a lot of points.

EV evangelists always like to say that there are more EV charge points than petrol stations and there are but they fail to take into account that a petrol station will typically have 15 to 20 hoses whereas an EV charge station might only have 2 points. I have seen one estimate that we will need several million public charge points.

We are not even close to where we need to be. I accept things might look different towards the end of the decade but I sense a complacency in government circles.

All the government zero-carbon subsidy schemes so far have been for better off people.  The EV subsidy helped better off people ( the only ones who could afford to buy EV at £60K  ).  The heatpump subsidy will benefit rich people because once again they are the only ones to be able to afford the useless over-hyped tech. Over-generous solar panel feed in tariffs benefitted the better off.  Trouble is it is poorer taxpayers who cannot afford the stuff who are subsidising the better off...

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2426 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/22/more-than-5000-homes-in-england-approved-to-be-built-in-flood-zones

Added link

Logic does not apply when you make decisions in 5 minutes after you don't read your brief.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2427 on: November 22, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »

Fully agree

I think you'll need to let the FB group natter on and at some appropriate time you may be able to ....... 'told you so'
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #2428 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »

All the government zero-carbon subsidy schemes so far have been for better off people. 

Eureka!

All the government has done so far has been for better off people.
FTFY

and not just any better off people.
Just their pals.  >:(

Edit added explanation
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:41:27 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2429 on: November 22, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »
Around here most new builds have solar panels as standard under a scheme that incentivises builders to install them to get planning permission. Multi-storey blocks must have a minimum number of designated parking spaces so it is possible to force developers to install pay as you charge points in these spaces. All the multi-storey blocks being built beside me (the "new" tenements as I describe them) are private flats and have a parking space for each home with those lockable posts to prevent visitors from using them.
What nobody has mentioned is new-build supermarkets, workplaces and buildings undergoing major renovations will also come under the new law.

Tags: