Author Topic: NON FUNCTIONING KEY FOB  (Read 5824 times)

guest6055

NON FUNCTIONING KEY FOB
« on: October 23, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »
Hi All,

My Jazz (2011 1.2S) has been fault free since acquired 7 months ago and therefore not passed this way for a while.

This afternoon I had cause to use the spare key fob and discovered it to behave dead!!
The fob looks like new; I haven't used it and I doubt if it was used by the previous owner.

Does the fob require a battery replacement? Is this a DIY job? I have searched the forum for my Jazz, but not found answers to my questions. I lost my handbook a month or two back (don't ask me how!) so can't check for answers there.

The fob is a two button flip key with no kind of operating light (someone mentioned in a key fob topic that their fob had a red light). I have teased the fob slightly open but could see no sign of a battery.

Any help appreciated.

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
Re: NON FUNCTIONING KEY FOB
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 09:14:09 PM »
The key fob does have a battery in it. If you look at the base of the body of the fob where the metal part of the key emerges, you will see a tiny Phillips type screw which you need to unscrew to gain access. If I remember correctly the battery you need is a type CR1616.

guest6055

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
Thanks.

I did undo the screw and part separate the case, (didn't fully open in case of damage), but could not see a battery. Will venture a little further.

Does the fob require a re-programme after battery replacement?

guest6055

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
Correction to my earlier observation ..... my fob does have a tiny red light - not noticed before.

Red light operates on my working fob, but not the dead fob.

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:01:23 PM »
My fob didn't need to be reprogrammed, I just changed the battery and it worked straight away.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
There's definitely a battery inside. See http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Honda-Fit-Jazz-Key-Fob-Battery-Replacement-Guide/. If you dont have a battery tester then try swapping the batteries between the two keys.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest6055

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »
I have just delved deeper into my fob ......

Found the battery - it is a 3V, CR1616.

For future reference ......

1. Case opens after removing a very small screw at opposite end of fob to key. My case separated with the tried and tested finger nail method.
2. Inside the fob appears to be made up of a sealed unit containing the buttons. This unit pops out of the fob case.
3. One corner of this button unit has a space to insert a thin blade or similar. A simple twist of a kitchen knife blade opened my button unit to reveal the battery.
4. Battery is simple to replace and the fob components all snap easily back into place.

All in all a 5 min job.

Late evening now; will obtain a battery tomorrow and report back.

Thanks to the members who replied

guest6055

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
Sorry folks, but I'm unable to report further on my battery replacement.

I sold my Jazz this morning and was unable to purchase a battery before the exchange of owners. The new owner was happy to source a battery for himself.

Tags:

anything