Author Topic: Jazz Mk2 battery  (Read 4900 times)

pb82gh3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
Jazz Mk2 battery
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
Do any of you have experience about what it takes to run a healthy battery down with the car immobile e.g radio on, operation of electric windows etc.?
My question stems from a dealer telling me a healthy battery can be run down to the point where the car wont start after 15 minutes with the radio on (moderate volume) along with 4 or or 5 operations of the window.

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
Re: Jazz Mk2 battery
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »
A fully charged healthy battery should last much longer than that, of course a healthy battery that's low on charge may not, it he's a "proper " dealer he will have a battery tester that will draw current from the battery and give an idea of what Amp Hours its showing, 

I take it you have purchased the car from him and the battery has gone flat on occasion?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
On apoorly charged battery leaving the boot or interior light on over 2 wk period would make starting a real issue.
As for the radio running a fully charged battery - no.

pb82gh3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Honda Jazz 1.4 VTEC Si
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks for those responses. Failure to start was on 2nd day of ownership of used Jazz from a main dealer. I was assured that the battery condition was part of pre-sale checks, and was told that "there are lots of background tasks going on". For the sake of goodwill I didn't query that (maybe I should have done, as it sounds rather like BS) .Thankfully the battery was replaced with a new one, but this sort of thing shakes your confidence in a dealership.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
It certainly sounds like BS and in any case the battery is only about a year old so it is obviously a duff one, which is a bit unusual these days. At least you got it replaced

Vic.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:49:10 PM by VicW »

JOCK55

• Approved Member
  • Returned and hopefully not forgotten!
  • My Honda: 2009, 1.4 EX Manual
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
A few months after purchasing my '09 Jazz 1.4 Ex, I was told by my employer that they wanted me to go to Malaysia to run their Office there for a year or so. Put car into storage and as part of the "mothballing" process removed the battery. Six years later, returned from Malaysia, went to get car out of storage and for fun connected the battery. To my great surprise all dash lights came on and there was enough power there to turn the car over a couple of times (failed to start, but not a battery problem). So, leaving your radio on for a couple of hours is highly unlikely to drain your battery!

Cheers,

Jock
My other car is a 2015 Range Rover Sport....
No, seriously, it is!!!

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »
Depends on how much charge it had to start with, I managed to flatten mine one evening when I left it switched on the drive, but that was after some hours.
In common with many cars these days, the Jazz seems to have a smaller capacity battery and a larger output alternator than would have been the case some years ago.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
My Jazz Hybrid had a few issues about occassionally not starting on the first turn of the key, and was just dead, leave it a few minutes and it would start fine. It turned out that one battery cell was damaged and the output was only 10.3 (?) volts, replace the battery and all was well.
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6365.0
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 04:07:55 PM by Ozzie »

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »
I think we forget that car batteries, ie. lead acid, hasn't really changed much for several decades, where as other battery technologies have done driven by the mobile digital device revolution.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
My 15 plate Mk2 has gone flat twice. I have my half hour break in the car when i work weekends, normally go out if it is hot open windows  and turn to accessiory with just radio on. Yesterday I forgot to turn ignition to acc. battery was down to the point of no start after less than 25 mins. I carry a small jump starter so managed to start it ran it 5 mins before going back work for 4 hours and coming out it started ok. I could be the battery on the way out. because it only done 6400, since new in march 15.i had it when it was 11 months old so must of stood a while cause it had 3400 miles on. I have got another 40amp bosch battery i might swap over, i had it a while but its been charged up on Ctek smart charger so migh be worth a try.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
My battery lasted just over 7 years from brand new with the car

Tags:

anything