Author Topic: Jazz diesel  (Read 2367 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Jazz diesel
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
As far as I know the new Jazz does not have a diesel option although I see the Jazz diesels are available in other countries, my question is why can we not have it here ?
Does anyone know if Honda plan to give us one in the future.
Thanks.

guest5589

Re: Jazz diesel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
I think Honda in principle was against diesels which is why the first one they offered in the 7th Gen Civic was just a 1.7 unit borrowed from Isuzu. Some said it was too little too late but Honda offered it as a stop gap while they developed their own "better" Diesel engine as we know they don't like to do half hearted things.

The 2.2 ICDTI was their first Inhouse unit that they developed for 7th Gen Accords and 3rd Gen CRV followed by IDTEC in 8th Gen Accord and 4th Gen CRV. HRV now has one too but with the way current legislation is going, it will be foolish to invest in developing one for Euro duties. I know in India Brio, Amaze and Jazz can be had with diesels but over their over 50% of cars are diesels so it's a market let decision. Hybrid will be too pricey in these market I think.

For UK 3rd Gen Jazz got a Hybrid, I see no reason why one for 4th Gen can't be offered in Hybrid form like the Yaris.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
Indian market diesel is unique to that territory, a simpler unit than the Euro6; the management could have selected a design based on the Swindon diesel but it was deemed unsuitable.

I doubt a small Honda diesel will ever be used in Europe; we are a minority operation for Honda globally, and the ancillaries required to meet Euro6 & EPA standards really don't make it cost effective in the small volumes they would sell, and the appetite for small diesels in the US has been hit hard.  Zero tax & 60+ mpg petrol meet most peoples needs quite well.

Honda Japan & North America are always pointing towards hydrogen/EV/hybrid.

The guide in this thread shows just how complex a modern diesel has become -
The VW EA288 diesel engine study guide. http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8494.0
--
TG

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
This morning on Radio 4, there was a discussion about  diesel engined vehicles. It seems that GB fell in love with the diesel with some 50% of GB vehicles being powered this way. The rest of Europe  was given as circa 25%.
Now the boffins have come up with the facts to vindicate the blame the diesels must accept for pollution. The petrol cars have come a long way with fuel economy and in the main the pollutants are virtually nil, unfortunately the diesel engine which was to be the saviour of the planet is now the villain.  Towns and Citys are recording pollution well above acceptable levels and it has been proven that diesel pollution is responsible for some of the huge increase in Asthma and other breathing problems. Those that support diesel can hardly blame coal fires etc for the pollution after the clear air act was implemented.
I am personally very much against diesel having suffered diesel poisoning. Not something I would like to repeat. Why do we need a diesel Jazz? surely 45/50 mpg is quite acceptable. If diesel is so good WHY did the VW group have to resort to the enormous con they did with their diesel powered vehicles.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »
I think Honda in principle was against diesels which is why the first one they offered in the 7th Gen Civic was just a 1.7 unit borrowed from Isuzu. Some said it was too little too late but Honda offered it as a stop gap while they developed their own "better" Diesel engine as we know they don't like to do half hearted things.

The 1.7 litre was indeed Izuzu - GM motor

For the 2.2 litre Honda Diesel I always believed only the 'bottom end' was bought in from Izuzu (because it was a tried and tested 'bulletproof' unit),  Honda replaced the cylinders and heads with their own design.

Japan generally (and USA) were against Diesel Cars as they knew they were a 'dead-end' technology in the quest for ever increasing pressure to lower emissions - they probably only reluctantly made them to satisfy European and some other markets where they were losing sales,  especially in company car market to European Diesel powered cars,  but the cat is out of the bag now and the Japs were right to go down the hybrid and EV pathway instead of making ever more complicated Diesel cars for ever diminishing gains in emissions.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:19:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: