Author Topic: Fuel sensor and picture question.  (Read 5254 times)

guest6269

Fuel sensor and picture question.
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
Hello.

I have just been given a Honda Jazz from a close friend who is moving away.

It has a few problems but runs well and was free!

1. The fuel gushed is either empty or full, it's random and does not reflect the actual fuel in the car. I have looked that it is probably an issue with wiring. Where is the fuel sender unit? Is there an access panel?

2. I have taken a picture (http://imgur.com/DxDKX3S) of some excess waxy type stuff. It's in the passengers side under the rear seat floor cover. Is this normal? Looks very unprofessional fit a very finish.

Any help appreciated as the car is fantastic to run other than that.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Fuel sensor and picture question.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »

That's seam sealer as is quite normal, you'll find similar in the boot, underneath and in the engine bay, but it's a bit tidier there.

Fuel level sender is part of an all-in-one pump and filter canister that lives under a hatch between the gear lever and the handbrake.  Removing it does require a lot of caution (a 12v spark + an open fuel tank!!), and there is a special Honda tool, but that's not essential.

You can test the wiring without having to remove it. There are instructions here:
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html > fuel and emmisions > fuel gauge sending unit test

Probably easiest to fill up to the brim, reset the trip counter and not drive more than 350 miles.

--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6269

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
Thanks for that.

I think I will have a go at it when I have a few weeks off work. Like you said it's not the biggest issue. Also just noticed the fuel light still comes on so I think I will be okay.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
If the light is behaving normally I would guess the float unit in the tank was also behaving normally.
To me that may indicate a gauge fault / connection but to be honest that's just my way of logical thinking and quite possibly my logic is flawed!  :-\

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »
Hi, looking at the picture of the fuel sensor unit it looks as though the yellow and black wire go to a conventional variable resistor, sometimes a wire-wound one that connects to the float (that's how most sensors work). If this was worn or faulty it would create the very problem you are describing. It could be the wiper contact that's worn out, dirty, or bent out of shape.

The actual fuel gauge will just be an analogue meter and if it moves from zero to full, even intermittently, that would indicate that it was OK;they either work or not. Of course there could be a loose or dirty connector along the path somewhere which could cause a similar fault.

Not sure how much a complete new unit would cost but if that's the only problem with the car, as others have suggested, I'd go by the Trip Counter and fill up when necessary.  :)

Mike.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
Wiring diagram shows fuel level sender is a variable resistor, this goes to gauges control unit (cpu).  The cpu controls the needle and the warning light.  You can simulate the level by using resistance as shown in the table in the troubleshooting guide linked earlier.
--
TG

guest6269

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
But of an update. Decided to have a check of the guage as it seemed logical to be the problem. It is. I noticed when I pushed the plastic cover the guage went to the correct level of fuel. If I let go it got stuck wherever it was. I have now relived the guage and it looks like the es needle is not in contact but the spindle (if that's what it is) may be slightly bent. Trying be careful not to break it, but does anyone know how to free the needle so I can check?

Thanks again for the help guys.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
Called a sticky meter in my days. It's incredibly difficult to repair the actual meter. It's really a watchmaker's job, as it's very similar to the escapement movement in a wind up watch. If you're experienced with such things you probably have a 50% chance of repairing it. It's so easy to write it off completely.
A replacement from a breakers yard is the best option in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:15:38 PM by MikeG1944 »

guest6269

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
FIXED! Was scared to fiddle with the needles as didnt want everything reading wrong! So I liked at the rear casting and noticed a few clips were very loose. After a good clean and a bit of working they clipped back in nicely. The fuel guage was no longer at an angle and worked!

If it happens again I will just keep an eye out for one at local breakers.

Thanks for all the advice I'm sure I will have loads more questions to ask in the future.

Tags:

anything