Author Topic: Difference between series 1 and 2  (Read 12213 times)

guest6230

Difference between series 1 and 2
« on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »
I just wondered what folk noticed the most changing from a series 1 to a series 2 Jazz. Anything strike you immediately or anything you miss from the series 1? For example does it still have the throttle response and turning circle?

guest5168

• Topic Starter
Re: Difference between series 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »
Def. way cheaper build quality for mk2

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »
I just wondered what folk noticed the most changing from a series 1 to a series 2 Jazz. Anything strike you immediately or anything you miss from the series 1? For example does it still have the throttle response and turning circle?

MK1 has more oomph low down but runs out of breath above about 4,500 rpm  (which is OK for most Jazz owners - if you want a sports car don't buy a Jazz),  MK1 arguably had better build quality and to some is a better looking car,  but suspension seems much better on MK11.  Boot seemed larger on MK1 (boot seems to get smaller as model number gets bigger LOL),  Same great turning circle on both.  MK11 has two positions for rear seat back,  upright and slightly tilted back,  but that won't bother many people.

To make car body lighter the use of smaller thickness high strength sheet steels may make it seem that body is thinner and more 'tinny' on MK11 but it is probably stronger.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
I have friends in Wales up a country road miles from anywhere - they use their Mark 1 a lot, well over 100k. They have had to replace things, but non of it terribly expensive gear especially taking in to account the low yearly running costs and miles achieved.

They are both very tall. I'd guess he is 6 foot 4 and she 6 foot. They swear by the Mark 1 as it apparently has less console structure close to the legs, meaning the calf or thighs are not squashed against trim.

They don't like my Mark 2.

I test drove both Mark 1 CVT and Mark 2 before getting the iShift. I like the power in the 1.4 iShift over the older CVT on motorways and it is slightly more economical that the older one.

Mark 1 are gems of a bargain. You cant lose either way.

My choice came down to cruise control and aircon.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »

[/quote]
  MK11 has two positions for rear seat back,  upright and slightly tilted back,  but that won't bother many people.

[/quote]

Oh! I never knew that! Ill have to have a poke about

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »
Hi,
Heated mirrors, faster demist, indicator repeaters now in mirrors, steering self centers and stays in a straight line much better on motorways, softer rear suspension, fingertip audio controls, folding electric mirrors, automatic rear wiper plus intermittant, got to be lots of other things I haven't noticed going from a 2005 1.2 to a 2011 1.4 cvt. The original was good but this is better, try flooring the accelerator, surprising.....
Chris

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 05:01:02 PM »
mk1 gearbox bearing would give me nightmares  :o plus i like 16valve engines a lot more with half the spark plugs

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »

MK11 has two positions for rear seat back,  upright and slightly tilted back,  but that won't bother many people.

[/quote]

Oh! I never knew that! Ill have to have a poke about
[/quote]

When seat back is pushed from down position to its upright position it clicks into place,  n ow pull out the little plastic release handle again and the seat back goes a bit further.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:59:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:39 PM »
mk1 gearbox bearing would give me nightmares  :o plus i like 16valve engines a lot more with half the spark plugs

lol, I've never driven a Honda that didn't have an input shaft bearing I could hear.

I must say after having multi valve Yaris and Colt cars I do like the low down torque and throttle response of my MK1 Jazz, so it sounds like with the MK2 they've gone back to power higher up the range.

The MK2 is bigger than the MK1 but the specs I see say it has less luggage space which I find a bit odd. However, I like the design of the MK2 I hope they've added some anti corrosion to the underside, it's a bit lacking in the Japanese built MK1.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »
the body is great on the mk2 for no rust and i had lots of 8 valve engines in the past (good around town and out of puff up hills on the motorway)

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »
Heated mirrors, faster demist, indicator repeaters now in mirrors, steering self centers and stays in a straight line much better on motorways, softer rear suspension, fingertip audio controls, folding electric mirrors, automatic rear wiper plus intermittant, got to be lots of other things
Got most of that on my 2002, folding indicator mirrors and steering wheel audio controls needs a decent 2004+
Putting 6 bags of gravel in the rear footwell does make the ride much better, it always amazes me.

14 years on mine still sounds like it did back in 2002, engine is a bit tappy - adjustment doesn't seem to cure that, but I am down about £40 on extra plugs.

Daft early low spec Mk1 cars = only 1 seat back pocket, missing front seat slide levers on the shoulder which makes magic seats less usable.

Friends who went Mk1 > Mk2 say long distance comfort is much improved and love high level cup holders.
I would not miss the Mk1 knee high shelf, don't think I've ever put anything on it.
--
TG

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »
Yes, my MK1 has indicators in the mirrors, heated mirrors, steering wheel audio controls. I like the shape of the MK2 but will stick with my MK1 until next year at least  ;) Although... the CRZ is looking nice.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »
I must say after having multi valve Yaris and Colt cars I do like the low down torque and throttle response of my MK1 Jazz, so it sounds like with the MK2 they've gone back to power higher up the range.

I agree,  I found the MK1 easier to drive everyday on non-motorway roads, with a bit more low down poke, the MK11 has a bit more for the motorway and overtaking if you plan it well and keep the revs up but doesn't make much power until 2.5 to 3K.  I just bought a new motorbike and had to choose between a buzzy 4 cylinder engine (13,000 rpm) with very little below 5000 revs and power coming in with a rush after 8000 or a V twin with good linear torque from less than 1000 up to about 8,500 rpm and then flattening off up to 10,000 rpm red line (running out of breath a bit) - I chose the V twin as easier to ride everyday without keep slipping clutch and swapping cogs and enough power to keep me amused at my age - and will still accelerate well even if you are a couple of gears up from where you should be.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:13:18 AM by culzean »

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Good to see other bikers on the site , we have been riding for over 50 years , and still ride, we [wife and I] have two Triumph Bonnivilles.

Plasma.

applicationcen

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »
I have a Honda CBF 1000:)

Its like riding a fun tractor!

Tags: