Author Topic: Terrible road noise in cabin  (Read 5503 times)

guest6231

Terrible road noise in cabin
« on: August 02, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
I recently bought 2008 Honda Jazz. Lot of road noise gets in the car (most noise is in the boot). on motorway, noise is so loud that my daughter refuses to sit in the car. I took the car to Honda dealer today they said that it is road noise  and known issue in Jazz due to lack of sound proofing. He said they won't do any sound proofing but I could get done some privately.

I googled a lot today morning and diy sound proofing appears difficult to me. Do you know any garage or body shop who will do sound proofing for reasonable price? I was quoted £1900 by local garage. Material is  less than £100.

If you have done sound proofing, is there particular place where sound proofing application will have significant effect? ( I am thinking of boot).
Thank you.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: Terrible road noise in cabin
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
I don't think Jazz is particularly loud on motorway, atleast not as much your one sounds to be. Are any trim pieces missing? parcel shelf? boot carpet?

The next question would be tyres. Winter tyres are very very loud in dry hot weather so check what tyres you have got? Even some summer tyres are louder than others.

Next up, rear bearings. Both of mine went one after the other and I suspected tyres to be the culprit so repalced them but the noise stayed. They sound like a constant humm which gets louder and louder and it just made me go nearly mad.. In the end I got both bearings replaced and viola! its all super quite.

So before you go for sound deadening route, it might be worth checking other things first.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »
Wouldn't say MK1 Jazz is particularly noisy, could be rear wheel bearings  -  also check your tyres some brands are very noisy.

As for winter tyres being noisy, I am running Nokian winter tyres at the moment because my alloys are in for refurb and they are not much louder than Michelin ES+ I have on the alloys.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »
I would definitely agree that it needs rear wheel bearings checking.  I thought mine was road noise as I have my back seats  down nearly all the time, but no.

Chock wheels, in gear, handbrake off, jack up each side and rotate, should feel smooth and silent not rough.
--
TG

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:32:26 AM »
I agree with the above, the biggest factor is tyres, new tyres now have a decibel rating so you can compare them. Another thought is have you checked the spare wheel and jack is secured properly.

Japanese cars are known to be a little noisier than say German ones, which has been my experience too. Would I swap my Jazz for a Polo? No!

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »
I am sorry I cannot speak for a Mk1.
BUT there is sound advice in checking all else is well.
I did our Mk2 and it did make a difference.
I did the rear passenger compartment but in honesty it wasn't necessary as there was already quite a bit of proofing there. I looked under the front carpets and that already had sound proofing.
 I DID do the boot and that did help.
If you proceed, there is an absolute necessity to read up about removing the panels.Also buy some trim removing tools at about £5 from good old Ebay.
I used two types one is the shiny aluminium stuff with black tar like substance used by the Russians in their tanks and also the foam rubber type. The following were covered, spare wheel well and the flat surfaces either side. At the front of the boot and under the rear seat backs. Also around the wheel arches and flat body panels and lastly the rear door. Not altogether sure if that was an improvement.
My Wife felt there was quite a difference. I am deaf so I couldn't tell. I bought it all off Ebay. Good luck BUT DO CHECK THE NOISE IS NOT CAUSED BY MECHANICAL PROBLEMS FIRST

Tags:

anything