Author Topic: Headlamps - flaking/peeling  (Read 1892 times)

bill888

• Approved Member
Headlamps - flaking/peeling
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
I noticed a problem with the surface of the headlamps on my car after washing the car.  Thin flakes peeling off.  Pictures attached.

I later learned it is the clear coat which provides UV protection which is coming away.

It is not clear to me, but is the purpose of the UV protection coating, to stop the plastic lens clouding up and/or going yellow?

I presume there is not a lot I can do about it.  ie. only worry about when the lens becomes far worse and could fail the MoT...

[attachment deleted by admin]
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest5589

Re: Headlamps - flaking/peeling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
That is indeed the UV coating flaking. It is there to stop the plastic from going cloudy/yellow. They are different states of same process. Happens over years not days so these should be good for another year or two atleast.

Once it becomes worse toucan simply buy a £20 headlight polishing kit from Halfords to do them up of if you are handy with DIY use sandpaper of different grades to polish them and spray with new clear coat. I am planning to do this in the coming weeks as mine are much worse. 

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it for now but wax the headlight each month just for extra protection. 

guest1372

Re: Headlamps - flaking/peeling
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
T-Cut plus cloth = no more dull light covers

9 years to start showing some minor deterioration seems fair.

Once the original UV film has gone the deterioration will accelerate, but buffing them clear again is a half hour job and lasts a few years before needing another go.  Only needed to do mine once in 14 yrs, and the car has lived outside for 90% of the time, was remarkably crystal clear when polished, now 18mths+ looking normal, in another 18mths probably a bit cloudy.
--
TG

Tags:

anything