Author Topic: Found a random earth strap  (Read 3358 times)

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
Found a random earth strap
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »
Can anyone tell me where this is meant to go just noticed it laying on top of the expansion bottle
Obviously doesn't need to be connected to that lol

It's coming off the chassis leg I'm guessing it's meant to be to the gearbox or something

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest5589

Re: Found a random earth strap
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
I have seen this before as I have been planning to replace mine. It does bolt on top of the gearbox under the intake box so you will have to take that off in order to fit it.

guest1372

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
Strap is connected to my M/T gearbox

(just discovered my battery tray is looking rather rusty)
--
TG

Jeffyjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »
cheers guys

might go and see if I can find a bolt to put in there or might just leave it hanging

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:28:53 PM »
There is normally a cable from the battery negative terminal to the body (about a 5 or 6mm bolt) and then one from the same bolt on the body to the engine block.  if you have had any work done on the car it maybe that they forgot to connect it back up.

On all my cars I have bought a bare earth strap from Halfords with lugs already on each end and taken one straight from negative battery terminal to the engine block (somewhere on front of engine down by clutch slave cylinder) and bypassed Hondas grotty connection (unfortunately a lot of car makers do it)  -  This will make a better circuit for the 200 or so amps it takes to start the car and mean more volts get to the starter motor.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/car-battery-chargers/halfords-braided-earth-battery-cable-45cm-18
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything