Author Topic: My Honda Jazz juddering  (Read 6744 times)

guest6228

My Honda Jazz juddering
« on: July 24, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »
Hello, Ive just joined the ClubJazz.org coz Im seeking help about juddering that's happening again.  I bought my Jazz (74k) from Honda dealership 21/11/15.  It had been regularly serviced (got the book), one woman owner and one year's warranty from the dealership so felt secure(ish).  On 01/01/16 on a 45 minute drive started to experience a judder whilst driving (never from start-up like some posts mention).  Over next few weeks judder got more frequent so eventually took to dealership for fix.  They said they replaced sensor and wld be ok.  Few days later judder again and smoke from front left hand tyre.  AA Honda Assist called out who checked front tyre and diagnosed brakes advising this could cause judder.  Towed to dealership who fixed brakes.  Picked up car couple of days later then got juddering again.  Back to dealership who did CVT flush (they said).  Picked up car and more juddering - and breakdown again - AA out again, back to dealership - anor sensor replaced.  Picked up again, few days later - yep, more juddering and anor breakdown - AA called, towed to dealership and had discussion to return car and get refund.  I told them concerned was gearbox and couldn't afford that and didn't think they would want to replace gearbox - they pleaded for one last chance to fix to which I was silly enuff to agree to.  They kept car for longer period then phoned me to pick up saying they had done new spark plugs, road tested over few days and was driving okay.  Picked up on 14/04/16 and has been fine until Friday 15/07/16 when anor judder.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why the juddering happens and at the moment it is only now and then and not every time I drive.  I am a light user, local, shops, hospital visits.  Not a fast driver.  My worry is of course that it will get worse.  Also wonder how the Honda engineer cant/wont fix this.  Any help much appreciated and thanks - I know nothing about cars :( BetsyBoo

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: My Honda Jazz juddering
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
Which sensors have they replaced?

guest6228

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
Hello thre, thanks for replying - I don't know what the first one was - when he told me he had replaced the other sensor I asked which sensor and he said crankshaft sensor.  There was some discussion around why not change both sensors at same time - I thought there was only two sensors - I really don't know anything about cars and they didn't give me any worksheets when I got car back.

ps I see Ive posted in the wrong place but cant work out how to post on right place.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:28:46 PM »
I would put your summary in writing to Honda UK cc to the dealership recorded delivery and insist the persistant fault is rectified without and further delay. You may wish to also contact your local trading standards office, from what you write the car has had the same fault which has not been actioned by the selling dealeship.
Let the forum know how you get on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »
you have 6 months to complain about a fault,  if a fault appears within 6 months of purchase it is deemed legally to have been present when car was purchased, if over 6 moths it gets a bit involved to prove if it is how the car has been treated by new owner or if it was indeed there when car was sold by dealer.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 07:46:50 PM »
Welcome hope you get the car sorted it can sometimes be shocking how some dealers treat customers

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
Sounds like one of your front brakes is binding. When you come back from a drive if you touch the alloys is one hotter than the other? I know Honda Civic brake calipers are prone to seizing so maybe Jazz's are the same?

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
It is very very difficult to diagnose faults on a car from afar but two matters have come to mind. Has the dealer put the car on the diagnostic computer? I know they are remarkably tardy about doing so. Perhaps they have to pay Honda every time they do so.
However, more than once the brakes have been mentioned. Many years ago, in fact nearly 50, when I used to try and fix the monsters for a living, one Saturday morning three young Australian ladies came in with a Morris/Austin J2 caravanette. The brakes were being a problem. In this case, after several applications the brakes were binding and virtually stopping the vehicle. If they stopped for a while all would be well. It took a bit of head scratching and eventually came to the conclusion it was the brake master cylinder. Replaced it and off they went rejoicing. The master cylinder was not allowing the fluid to return to the reservoir. It was a gradual thing as if the return valve was sticking or had dirt in it.
Now I don't know the circumstances but given that the problem doesn't occur immediately is this a consideration? Only BetsyBoo knows when it happens and how much braking she has done before the problem arises the suggestion to touch the wheels near the centres is an excellent idea BUT might I suggest that BetsyBoo feels  all the wheels. Be very careful because if they are binding they can get extremely hot. If they are all hot, it would suggest a brake problem. Jolly good luck and I am sorry to say that it would appear the dealer is indulging in the old gender thing. Pat the little woman on the head and send her off with any old excuse. I used to repair so many vehicles on  a Saturday morning when motorists had come down to the West Country on holiday after having their cars 'fixed'. In virtually every case it was brakes!!!!!!!! One garage had even put the wheel cylinder rubbers in the wrong way round. Imagine 250 miles of holiday traffic with brakes like that.

guest4219

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »
Reject the car as not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality.

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
The problem with diagnosing may be if it is intermittent? How old is the car (maybe I have missed that). I'm not sure I'd trust a dealer to sort the problem, although you certainly should be able to look to them to do so as you have probably paid top money for the car.

If you know a local mechanic who would look over the car for you I would try that. It may save a lot of time and trouble.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »
Is it the engine that's causing the juddering or something else?

I note they said they changed the spark plugs....but did they change all 8 of them?

Many places will only change 4 spark plugs and forget (or not know) about the set at the back, they will then have an excessive gap over time and you'll get kangarooing when trying to accelerate...

This might be explained as many other things but the first thing I'd do is have the rear set of spark plugs checked...or at least find out how many plugs were replaced ;)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Reject the car as not fit for purpose and not of merchantable quality.

I'd have returned it. I would not accept a car with a pre-existing fault. I returned a car within 1 week and got a full refund as soon as I realised it had a gearbox judder.

Tags: