Author Topic: Just hit a personal MPG record for jazz :D  (Read 5878 times)

guest5168

Just hit a personal MPG record for jazz :D
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
Note, I have it converted  to run on LPG so the numbers are different than you get when running on petrol.
But reached 5.3litres/100km consumption yesterday on a 240km drive, I did drive all the journey hypermiling, driving as gently as possible, gliding through cities mostly in neutral and shutting down the car where I knew that the red lights will take longer than a minute to change.
tested with fill-to-fill method as my onboard fuel consumption isn't accurate when on lpg
+I had winter tyres on, I reckon with good summer tyres I could shave half a litre off making it probably consume less than 5litres per 100km.

Anyway LPG costs here 0.48euros per litre so it cost me 2.55eur to do 100km :D
Let's convert the costs to equivalent petrol costs/equal mpg
petrol is 1.10euros here per litre so if If cost me 2.55eur to do 100km means
equal petrol consumption would be = 2.31 litres per 100km!! or 122mpg for english folks
Not bad at all for 13years old car :D

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Re: Just hit a personal MPG record for jazz :D
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »
WOW, very impressive, however over here in the UK LPG has never really taken off and there are not that many outlets that sell it, and it's a pretty expensive conversion as well.

If I could get 122mpg on my petrol Jazz could go to the seaside at the weekend like we used to do in the old days when petrol was 35p a gallon. ;)

Mike.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »
not really true, when I was living in UK for a while there were plently of LPG filling stations, certainly didn't feel that I couldn't find one, you had to do some planing and look for some stations beforehand at the destination tho if you were driving more south.
btw you can do the conversion yourself.. not really difficult , have done it in past as well.
However Yes the LPG fitting places in UK are banking hard... the real costs are somewhere around £300 for a decent system + half a days labour.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
My personal best is 73.1MPG  ;D

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »
A regular occurrence. Most of my driving is in and around London. (Photo wasn't taken by me)

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
A regular occurrence. Most of my driving is in and around London. (Photo wasn't taken by me)
That part of the A2 usually gives you just the right mix of speed and flow to hit the mpg sweet spot.  ;)  A13 on the other side isn't bad either.
Unfortunately for me Jamaica Road or The Highway are the opposite and I should probably drive slower down the A1.

The 15" wheels give lower official mpg figures than the 14", did you find that?

My gauge usually 52 or 53
--
TG

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
Have to admit you don't need to try too hard with my Hyundai i20  diesel  ;D

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:07:15 PM »
That part of the A2 usually gives you just the right mix of speed and flow to hit the mpg sweet spot.  ;)  A13 on the other side isn't bad either.
Unfortunately for me Jamaica Road or The Highway are the opposite and I should probably drive slower down the A1.

The 15" wheels give lower official mpg figures than the 14", did you find that?

My gauge usually 52 or 53
--
TG

:o How did you know this was on A2?! But yes I agree that Jazz loves 40-50mph roads including A12/A13 which I use very regularly. Central London kills all hopes of getting a decent mpg figure no matter what time it is unless you travel after 9pm like me. I have gotten stuck a few times in traffic where the 20mile journey took me 3 hours so from then onwards I use M25/M3 to head west. 50 extra miles yet takes the same time and just a £5 extra in fuel costs but I believe it puts less strain on the mechanics of the car.

A1 is another fav of mine whenever I go up to Leeds.. loathe M1 for some reason.. Actually I think heading up is usually more economical than coming back down. Strange. will take detailed note next time round.

Actually.. I think my mpg has improved after putting on the 15inch alloys. On 14 steelies I would get 50-52max. Better tyres perhaps?

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »

Hah! that is a seriously good number but how long was the trip? :D Downhill and resetting the trip computer might actually get me something goood.. will try it next time ;D

guest6230

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
If you want to get even more MPG don't glide in neutral keep it in gear as it will use more fuel idling out of gear.  ;D

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »

Hah! that is a seriously good number but how long was the trip? :D Downhill and resetting the trip computer might actually get me something goood.. will try it next time ;D

That was on a 150~160 mile journey.

It normally gets high 60's to mid 70's to be fair.

guest5168

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 01:07:13 AM »
If you want to get even more MPG don't glide in neutral keep it in gear as it will use more fuel idling out of gear.  ;D
not really true.. if you glide in neutral you can travel really really far hence actually using almost no fuel, It kinda doesn't uses fuel when you have it ''gliding'' in gear, but you can't travel nowhere as far.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
not really true.. if you glide in neutral you can travel really really far hence actually using almost no fuel, It kinda doesn't uses fuel when you have it ''gliding'' in gear, but you can't travel nowhere as far.

+1  the car is being dragged back by engine braking while it is in gear - wasting some of the energy (and wearing the gearbox) - its amazing how much further you can roll if car not in gear - but this is gonna re-ignite the debate about it being illegal to 'coast' out of gear for sure  :'(
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »

+1  the car is being dragged back by engine braking while it is in gear - wasting some of the energy (and wearing the gearbox) - its amazing how much further you can roll if car not in gear - but this is gonna re-ignite the debate about it being illegal to 'coast' out of gear for sure  :'(

+2 and when your engine is in gear coasting "over run" as we used to call it, it has a tendency to cause pressure differences , As in it usually drops and tries to suck oil through seals. That's why worn valve stem oil seals burn oil more after overrunning and you see that puff of burnt oil.
I think that's how it works anyway, from what I remember.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 03:14:06 PM »
I am not the one for chickening out even though 'Penalty for out of fuel sign' that comes AFTER coming out of Blackwall tunnel tells me otherwise. I have gone more than 410 miles (50-70mph) on a single tank after filling 38 liters.

Tags:

anything