Author Topic: front suspension failed test  (Read 1947 times)

guest6133

front suspension failed test
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:17:57 AM »
Our family 2002 Jazz has been repeatedly failed its Warrant of Fitness for rock in the front wheels when on the hoist. The first time the top suspension strut rubber cone was replaced but when it failed again I became suspicious. With the wheels at full rebound the cone drops out of its housing and the wheel can be rocked. Before going for test, with car on wheels, loop a piece of rope or other packing under the topside flange. This prevents the cone dropping sufficient to pull out of the housing. Remove after. A completely harmless conditon as unless indulging in rally jumps the wheels never fully rebound, and instantly recover anyway.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
Re: front suspension failed test
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:17:03 AM »
Hey.
You might want to read through this thread.

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8043.msg39432#msg39432

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
You know it's correct as is - shame the testers don't, as in the thread above, sounds like you need to print out page 4 of https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/wof-news/docs/issue-15.pdf and tape it to the car next time it goes in for its warrant.  Don't hear of this so much in UK tests as I think the assessor is led by a model specific script with the new MOT test software.
--
TG

(log in for local copy of attachment)

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6133

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:42 AM »
Thanks

Dealing with testers is always a delicate exercise. Any hint of questioning by owner and they seek to make life difficult and expensive. (On another family car I have found it best to maladjust and readjust the wheel bearings for every test rather than argue the makers recommendations).

I will certainly download the official local page. Pointless Jazz suspension replacements quite a good income earner for local garage.

Tags:

anything