Author Topic: Engine Tuning....  (Read 17046 times)

guest5247

Engine Tuning....
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:38 AM »
Just curious,  anyone had their engine tuned for more performance?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Engine Tuning....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »
I doubt that there is a lot that you can do that is going to produce any worthwhile improvement on power output.
From experience on other cars modifications to the air intake/mixture system have to be accompanied by improvements to the exhaust system so that they both flow more freely.
The Jazz air filter box has a sensor on it, probably the intake air temperature sensor, which is a part of the engine ECU so is essential so that makes changes to the intake system difficult. You can change the air filter for a, possibly, more efficient one but that will not do much.
Is there a more efficient exhaust system available which actually works better and doesn't just result in a more noisy exhaust note?
There is possibly a modified engine ECU chip/software available.
Changes to the camshafts are complicated by the variable valve timing system.
Unfortunately your insurance company may not look too kindly on performance improvements without expensive increases to your premium.
The 1.8 Civic goes very well !!

Vic.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
Not sure tuning like you could do to a Triumph Spitfire still exits really, I mean the ECU is adjusting everything many times per second, so the only avenue is to give it a different map to work with.
--
TG

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »
Ah yesss , dreaded insurance.

That is the ONE item that always get asked , any engine mods.

In that case ill leave well alone , I thought of re mapping but no.

Tbh...the vtec engine goes ok , designed for high revving.

It means my mpg averages about 42...not great but it'll have to do.

I'm assured by Honda the engine will take the revving  :D

I like....power ;D but i also like the design and versatility of the jazz.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »
I like....power ;D

if power is of some importance to you why did you buy a jazz

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »
I like....power ;D

if power is of some importance to you why did you buy a jazz
He's also all about that design and versatility

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 12:37:22 AM »
the only major difference between the jazz and other cars is the way in which the rear seat folds
so you can stand a tall item behind the front seats yes thats a clever piece of design
besides this i cannot see how the jazz is any different to another car,split folding rear seats
a generous boot space and seats 5.i may be wrong please tell me if i am.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »
Jazz is a very easy car to live with,  as are most Hondas and their engines do rev but that shouldn't be a criticism as they will still be more reliable than and outlast other engines even if you rev them (they thrive on it, I've been doing it for more years than I care to remember with no problems).  If you want low down grunt, lazy gearchange and only rev to 4.5K get a dirty complicated diesel and trash the planet (at least trash peoples health with high Nox).   

100 ponies from a 1.3litre isn't too shady already,   but if you want to lose your licence in next to no time get a Civic type R LOL

When I want to go a bit faster I get on my motorbike (but not when it is raining please).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
the only major difference between the jazz and other cars is the way in which the rear seat folds
so you can stand a tall item behind the front seats
The main advantage for me of the Jazz rear seat folding method is the flat load area that results.  This gives considerably more load space than any other car of comparable length.  This has proved invaluable in carting rubbish to the tip, moving furniture etc etc.  I chose the Jazz rather then a Golf for this reason.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 11:34:57 AM »
i few years ago i had a mercedes A class this car also had the fold flat floor area
but it also had a variable height boot floor aswell so when you needed the extra height
for suitcases to stand up you could lower the floor by approx 5"

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »
so you can stand a tall item behind the front seats yes thats a clever piece of design
besides this i cannot see how the jazz is any different to another car,split folding rear seats

There you have it. A Fiesta sized car which some people compare to a Mercedes A-class.

Just shows how good the Jazz is !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »

There you have it. A Fiesta sized car which some people compare to a Mercedes A-class.

+10    - I have lost count of how many people thought the Jazz was a small car until I showed them the amount of usable room inside,  as you say people compare its interior to larger cars but forget how small a turning circle it has (especially useful on Britains ever-shrinking car parks - about 3" either side the car the white lines are now, they used to be more generous).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
All of the above is why i bought a Jazz.

Purely in design,  loads of glass and tons of room.

I'm getting used to that revy engine.

The design outdoes the performance.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »
Tuning is not something I have considered because of my driving requirements which are mainly urban and suburban. I find the Jazz quite willing enough in town traffic.

Where I do find it limited is in some motorway work and this might chime with Culzean's point about diesels. I drove turbo diesels from 2003 until 2011 and I got used to the torque and the ability of a diesel to pull well at low revs. I find my driving style on the little motorway driving I do now hasn't compensated for this and I find the car unwilling at times to get to a decent cruising speed.

You need to sometimes "retune" yourself and get used to taking the revs above 3,000. If you follow the "Eco" driving recommendations of changing up at 2500 revs the ability of the car on the motorway can feel quite limited. The engine will rev happily at well above these figures but it is a different style of driving. The diesels can spoil you for motorway driving and, yes, make you a bit lazy in terms of pushing the car a bit harder.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »

+10    - I have lost count of how many people thought the Jazz was a small car until I showed them the amount of usable room inside,  as you say people compare its interior to larger cars but forget how small a turning circle it has (especially useful on Britains ever-shrinking car parks - about 3" either side the car the white lines are now, they used to be more generous).

Four beehives with bees planned for tomorrow's load... 8)

Tags:

anything